i think ive outgrown fanimecon

Started by satanic_mechanic, August 27, 2008, 12:34:50 PM

satanic_mechanic

man, theres been some interesting response to this thread, and I've had some time to mull it over.

its clear that fanime for me isnt going to be as good as it was when i was 19 or 20; i am growing, constantly changing and evolving as a person and it would only make sense that my con experience would change.

fanime isnt usually the place i go to meet people, but rather to go with people i already know; i believe mikey hit this point before with much less tact and sensitivity, but they tend to be somewhat introverted and uneducated regarding social interaction.  Fanime is a wonderful opportunity to meet people; weirdos aside, there are plenty of people to meet.

however, in addition to making that point, mikey made another point for me - the 4chan rejects, flamers and general douche bags that make this forum less than it can be.  no one likes to be around jerks and assh*les.  Mikey seems to derive pleasure in picking on other people in pathological fashion.  Its sick.

but there will be assholes and douche bags and jerks wherever you go, so that in and of itself alone does not justify not going to the con.  3% of all males have anti-social personality disorder, but that is no reason not to do the things in life you normally do.

so i think the solution is to join staff or conops; if I like the concept of fanime but not the execution of it, then i should either stop going, or actively become a part of it so that i have some influence over the programming.

so it isnt goign to be the same as it was when i was 19 or 20; that doesnt mean anything, other then it is my responsibility to make it my convention.

thanks for all the feedback, guys.  except you, mikey.  you're kind of an assh*le. 

"I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -HD Thoreau

Stormfalcon

And that's probably the best thing you can do, Satanic.  If something you're involved in is not as fulfilling as it once was but you don't want to abandon it entirely, then getting involved in such a way that you have at least a little influence in where it's going is a good thing to do.  Of course, you'd have to be able to devote time and effort to it and you may not always get your way in things, but at least you'd be getting involved and having more of a voice in these matters.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Jun-Watarase

It's not as if most people really go to cons for the sake of the con itself these days, anyway. As wonderful as Fanime can be, what makes it great for most are the company and people you've known and have grown to love over the years, meeting new acquaintances, and having fun together. It's also an excuse to cosplay and interact with other people in your fandom that you might not already know, or even meet up with those you've met online from said fandom.

Also, you know... FanimeCon is also pretty much the con where I've witnessed the most drinking and hotel parties in comparison to any other. So if not for the con, go for the booze your friends. It's one weekend out of the year, and whether or not you feel that you want to occupy that weekend with the happenings of Fanime, it's up to you and always has been.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

Realists tend to be assholes. ;>_> You may want to get used to that too. o_O Cuz the world is full of all types of assholes, and unfortunately, they're unnavoidable. Don't let it get to you. All you can do is toughen up, and enjoy the ride. ;)
Or you can be like me- nvm. O_o You don't want to be like me. ._.'

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on September 02, 2008, 10:18:37 PM
So if not for the con, go for the booze your friends.

Jun, my room. I have friends.  ;D
:-*

2010 cosplay...?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on September 02, 2008, 10:21:02 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on September 02, 2008, 10:18:37 PM
So if not for the con, go for the booze your friends.

Jun, my room. I have friends.  ;D
:-*

And with friends comes a little lovin'. *Wink wink, slips a peek under shirt.* :U

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

I feel loveded.  ;D

I have have a shirt on? O.o
Lemme clarify, I wear shirts that can be peeped under? O_o

X] I doubt it'd matter either way. Unless at that time I decided to make a fashion statement with electrical tape. @____@

2010 cosplay...?

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on September 02, 2008, 12:26:04 PM
2. Plenty of people who attend Fanime are complete losers, and plenty else aren't. In the grand scheme of things, said losers don't function in society very well at all-- many of those come to mind are socially awkward, creepy, and unattractive-- what matters in anyone's perspective is that they accept and are confident in themselves. They aren't obligated to feel like shit, just because they're losers to SOCIETY, but can at least be content by not being losers to themselves. But uh, I know plenty of geeks and nerds that are able to function in society and socially interact with people avidly, so if anyone begins to think geek/nerd = loser, it may just be something else. :|

This has made me think more clearly on my social life, I'm gonna become more social so I won't end up completely anti-social. I'm gonna get out more, hang out with my friends more often, I should join an after school activity but I need to stay on top of my grades, I need to find something else to do other than anime and video games. Well I did have something, martial arts... I was getting the hang of it when the prices began to rise and it got too expensive for my parent's to pay (with the cost for all the gear and stuff). So thats when I started to become less social. Man I really need to find some other place to learn martial arts, a cheaper place too. 

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: JohnnyAR on September 02, 2008, 10:31:14 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on September 02, 2008, 12:26:04 PM
2. Plenty of people who attend Fanime are complete losers, and plenty else aren't. In the grand scheme of things, said losers don't function in society very well at all-- many of those come to mind are socially awkward, creepy, and unattractive-- what matters in anyone's perspective is that they accept and are confident in themselves. They aren't obligated to feel like shit, just because they're losers to SOCIETY, but can at least be content by not being losers to themselves. But uh, I know plenty of geeks and nerds that are able to function in society and socially interact with people avidly, so if anyone begins to think geek/nerd = loser, it may just be something else. :|

This has made me think more clearly on my social life, I'm gonna become more social so I won't end up completely anti-social. I'm gonna get out more, hang out with my friends more often, I should join an after school activity but I need to stay on top of my grades, I need to find something else to do other than anime and video games. Well I did have something, martial arts... I was getting the hang of it when the prices began to rise and it got too expensive for my parent's to pay (with the cost for all the gear and stuff). So thats when I started to become less social. Man I really need to find some other place to learn martial arts, a cheaper place too. 

Well, everyone's definition of a "loser" differs, but I'd say there are multiple. To me, doing something about your life and making the effort to become more well-rounded is an accomplishment that I'd consider most complete losers wouldn't even bother to do. In a more broader generalization, well, there are those who still do things but are still losers. But really, it's up to you to decide when and if it even matters.

How does someone really define it really? It's normally up to someone's personality, how they carry themselves, how they manage things and work with their environment, how they think and how much effort they're willing to make to improve themselves. What I feel, generally, is a loser is someone who chooses to be ignorant to their own flaws, stubborn not to question themselves and acknowledge that they may not be perfect the way they are and unwilling to make changes. Everyone has room for improvement, and opportunity to improve themselves in some way or another, and to me, losers choose to deny that. It's not the same as say, a person who is flawed in some destructive way, but unaware of it or put under the circumstance where they would be unable to acknowledge it.

But it goes beyond that, sometimes. It varies between people's standards, society's standards, and your own standards of what makes someone a loser, and someone who is better than that.

FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

Well, given what was said...in this social group...I must be a looser of some type. I fail at everything here. XD

But it's great. Cuz I am different. >_>

2010 cosplay...?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on September 02, 2008, 10:48:07 PM
Well, given what was said...in this social group...I must be a looser of some type. I fail at everything here. XD

No one said you weren't! >:U

And I meant my shirt, btw. ffffffffff

FanimaidCafe.com

Stormfalcon

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on September 02, 2008, 10:18:58 PM
Realists tend to be assholes. ;>_> You may want to get used to that too. o_O Cuz the world is full of all types of assholes, and unfortunately, they're unnavoidable. Don't let it get to you. All you can do is toughen up, and enjoy the ride. ;)

Heh...try working returns in retail (big box electronics retail in particular).  You'll get a nice cross-section of the the wide variety of assholes that are out there before long.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Stormfalcon on September 02, 2008, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: XpHoBiaX on September 02, 2008, 10:18:58 PM

Heh...try working returns in retail (big box electronics retail in particular).  You'll get a nice cross-section of the the wide variety of assholes that are out there before long.

Oh I have. I've had almost every job under the sun. I think the worst sections are Food Service Retail, and Customer service.

@Jun
So I am not different?!?
*emos*
waaaaaaah I though I was so great! waaaaaaaaah

2010 cosplay...?

PyronIkari

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on September 02, 2008, 05:34:34 PM

however, in addition to making that point, mikey made another point for me - the 4chan rejects, flamers and general douche bags that make this forum less than it can be.  no one likes to be around jerks and assh*les.  Mikey seems to derive pleasure in picking on other people in pathological fashion.  Its sick.

Oh please, don't compare me to idiots from 4chan. Everything I do and say has a purpose and a point it carries. It's not so much random and meant to insult, as it has a reasoning as to why I'm telling someone how/why they're stupid.

Am I an asshole? Obviously, because only assholes will tell you the truth. Everyone else is too busy trying to not offend someone that they can't say "Yes, that outfit makes you look incredibly ugly", "Yes, you are fat", or "You don't know what you're talking about, so quit now so you don't look even more stupid."

otakuapprentice

Quote from: satanic_mechanic on September 02, 2008, 05:34:34 PM
i officially call bullshit on this.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Kazuko

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on September 02, 2008, 10:53:08 PM

I want to join in this lovin's!!!! =(

XpHoBiaX

2010 cosplay...?

Kazuko

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Kazuko on September 02, 2008, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on September 02, 2008, 10:53:08 PM

I want to join in this lovin's!!!! =(
i still have to get ur booze to you, phobia. and you don't fail, you're friggin' cool.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

XpHoBiaX

lol you may want to buy two now, cuz my bday is comming up again.
If people didn't live faraway, and I had my own place, I would have thrown a huge party.

2010 cosplay...?