2013 Trinity Blood Gathering

Started by kimu, August 28, 2008, 09:56:23 PM

Duo Monkey

Manik, yes you will. Undertaker's makeup takes a fair amount of time so I may be late.
My service dog is the big white fluffy one. Please help us help children by sharing photos of him so we can go to more children's hospitals!

kimu

All right, tomorrow is Day 0! Hope everyone that said they can make it to the TB gathering, can make it on Sunday!
See you there!
Safe travel to everyone, and here's hoping for a fun convention!
Whomever does make it to the gathering, we've had a lot of fun every year so expecting more of the same this year.
:D

kimu

So 2012 is over....
I updated the first thread per B's directions.

This year was fun to see the return of familiar faces and it was exciting to see some new ones! Thank you for joining us!!
I hope we got the photo set ups everyone wanted. Although I'm sad we didn't have time for the tea party, but this seemed a crazy year for a lot of people.

Hopefully next year we can have the return of the after-gathering tea party. It's 2013 so we should have 13 sugar tea party!

I don't have many pictures on my camera from TB--sadly they are all after the gathering--it's just too hard to take pictures when you're trying to be sure everyone gets in shots, check on requests.... So I'll have to rely on the other photographers.

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/kimu_cosplay/Fanime%2012/

I'll be checking in on this thread over the months if there's any planning/plotting for next year. ;)

manik_semiramis

XD  I'm already looking forward to this gathering~  :3
-Is there life before coffee? There is NO life before coffee. There is life AFTER coffee!

-Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

kimu

We're at that point of looking forward and backward, eh? :P

And speaking of looking back--
Greg has pictures up!
http://gregedwards.smugmug.com/Cosplay/Trinity-Blood/23444212_Jbzr5c#!i=1894142008&k=MGmbSMs

If the full link does not work start with:
http://gregedwards.smugmug.com/

Then go to Cosplay and you'll find the gallery in there!
Oh some of these are GREAT shots--I mean--oh my.... XD

If I find other galleries up, I'll let everyone know. If anyone else sees galleries up--please share the link.

manik_semiramis

Kimu~  You know I'm in for TB in 2013!  :3  I  might be Seth this year though, instead of Helga~  Unless Lord Cain will be making an appearance?  XD
-Is there life before coffee? There is NO life before coffee. There is life AFTER coffee!

-Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation.

kimu

Hello dear Manik!
Helga or Seth would be fine! Wear whichever you would prefer!!
Not sure yet about Cain or not for Fanime. Never know about that brother of mine.... @_@

And I might wear my Empire Abel....we shall see!

Adnarimification

I'm planning Ion Fortuna and accompanying me will be Esther, I'll see what I can do about getting us to come to the gathering....as we will be traveling from afar to attend our first Fanime (we'll be lost pretty much where we go).
But this sounds fun and I hope we can go!
Cosplay Plans:
Mamma Toph - Legend of Korra
Prince Gumball - AdventureTime
Nemesis - Mass Effect 3
Connor Kenway - Assassin's Creed III

kimu

That will be awesome to have you join us, Adnarimification!
As for finding us, hope it will reassure you to say it's usually pretty easy. We have our gathering in the main zone, which once you've gotten to the con is easy to find.
If we have to relocate due to construction, B will assist us all with the gathering areas. There's always a cosplay events table in the main lobby to assist in finding gatherings, too.

Nightroad

I had a dream kimu... and in it you were telling me I had to get started on my Trinity Blood cosplay!
Anyhoo after a two year absenence I fully intend to be back this year! As who? we'll see... either Able agian or I may promote myself to pope... XD
But I will be there this year! Even if it's unfinished and terrible looking I will be there!
Check out my fairly rescent DA account!
I wanna see my fanime friends on there!
http://robotdreams.deviantart.com/

kimu

@Nightroad: HUUUUG! That would be awesome to have you back again!!
Ooh, a Pope! I don't think we've had one at Fanime, could be fun!!!!
Or do another Abel, whatever you want and have time for.

benihime

Quote from: Adnarimification on August 02, 2012, 10:44:58 AM
I'm planning Ion Fortuna and accompanying me will be Esther, I'll see what I can do about getting us to come to the gathering....as we will be traveling from afar to attend our first Fanime (we'll be lost pretty much where we go).
But this sounds fun and I hope we can go!

I am the Esther :)
I really hope we can go! I LOVE TB fans, they're so awesome :)

Nightroad

yay an Ester!!!

@kimu *hugs back*
Yeeeessssss I will be back! I think pope would be fun! (plus I already have the freckles for it! lol)

But hey I need resin help! I went to the crafts store to buy some and there's different tpyes... @_@ ahhhh!
What kind would any of you reccomend? And does anyone know a link to a good tutorial?

kimu

An Esther! Yeah!!! :D

Resin:
TAP Plastics
They are online and in stores in various areas, including SJ, so you can just go there and not pay shipping.

I recommend for resin casting things like arrows, etc, the Quik Cast. The resin sets in less than 15 minutes so you can make more objects in less time.
For molds I use the RTV Silicone for making really awesome molds, even if it's very messy to make with this stuff.
Or the Easy Mold Silicone Putty which is a push your object into it mold. Less messy, faster molds but the molds are often not as precise.
NOTE: the Putty can be found at many craft stores too.

The clear resins you can get at the craft stores are better for making gems or when you need clear/semi-clear colored objects cast. Most of these need 12-24 hours to set for one piece.

Good luck, and if you do make Alessandro, that would be a lot of fun!!

Nightroad

Ok now I have a few more questions...
Do you paint thte resin after it hardens?
How do you make the mold?
How much resin do you think I need?

Charis

While you can dye resins or coat the mold with metallic powders, painting after it dries (especially for anything you have to shape *cougharrowscough*) is by far the cheapest and easiest method. XD  If you do clear resins for gems then you put the dye into them when you cast, but that's a different matter.

Molds typically get made one of two ways, both of which start by making your template positive (here's Kaya's cross, for example) out of clay or something like that.  Once you've got that made up, you either mush up enough putty to press it into (or press down around it) and let it harden before removing the positive, or you build a wall around it with some other clay or lego bricks or whatever and then pour the liquid silicone over it, and let it cure before you pull up the retaining wall and pry out your positive.  The putty's quick and easy but doesn't always like details (I got this out of it, but it's hit or miss and I've noticed it's easy to get bubbles or voids in the mold), and can be a little hard to get a nice flat bottom on the mold, but it's a lot cheaper (especially with a craft-store coupon applied) than the pourable stuff.  The pourable will get you detail, but requires mixing and pouring from way up high and can be a pain in the backside if you spill it anywhere.  If you're just trying it out, the putty might be easier to experiment with first.
(Liquid RTV and putty.)

As for how much resin you need, there's an easy trick for that: get a measuring cup (or make one by gradually filling a disposable cup and marking lines), fill it with water to a point, and then drop your positive into it.  Displacement will tell you roughly how much you need for one, though you want to account for scrap.  Unless you're making tons and tons of stuff, though, or covering large surfaces, the smallest available kit (for Quick Cast it's a quart) should be plenty.

In either case, get a small mountain of Dixie cups (or some other plain paper cup) and a packet of shish kebab sticks or wooden craft sticks for mixing up the resin and (if applicable) the silicone.  I use a small digital kitchen scale for mine since I was buying one anyway (most are a weight ratio); I know Kimu balanced hers on opposite sides of a stick to see if they were the same weight.  I tend to put wax paper down on whatever surface I'm building up the molds on so the silicone comes off easily.

Ramble ramble ramble ANYWAY. XD

(You can make your molds out of latex, too, which is cheaper, but it's a real pain in the backside to work with and I don't recommend it.  I did it for my first ones and while it worked, it stunk and took forever and a day to build up enough to cover even my shallow pieces. Silicone = 100x easier and worth the price difference.)

Michael's carries the molding putty.  Home Depot and similar stores have some resins, and Michael's (or equivalent craft stores) will have some, but I don't think I've seen a quickcast resin anywhere but TAP (and one place down here, but they sell it in giant containers so yeah, no).
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

kimu

Awesome coverage there, oh Charis!!
Do read directions carefully--also the TAP website and their staff at the stores tend to be very knowledgeable and can help with recommendations if needed.

For painting resin--the Quik Cast stuff at least, some comments.
You need to let them cure for a few days, per directions.
There's always a little cleaning with xacto blades, dremmels, or sand paper you will need to do. Depending on how good your mold got made, better means less clean up.
After casting, wash them off with soapy water. Let dry overnight.
Then some layers of gesso or primer is needed for most paints to stick, but then you can use either Testors enamels or various acrylic paints after that.
Then cover that with some kind of clear coat or Modge Podge.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Nightroad

Thank you soooo much!!!
Seriously you guys are great! What would I do without you!!! *hugs*
(probably end up ruining all my arrows by making a silly mistake...)

I think I've got enough info to run a test to get a little practise before all doom comes out from making bling.
So much bling... TT-TT

Tenkage

Well, since I'm currently hoping to make Fanime, here's Paula of the Inquisition, reporting in. Not sure which version I'll bring. Heck, I may even drag out the SSOD, if you guys clamor for it, enough.

Nightroad

Wow cool! If you make it I think you might be the first inquisistion we're had at Fanime!