ukulele any one?

Started by luckyends, August 31, 2008, 03:21:44 PM

luckyends

does any one else here play ukulele?
i have a question and this is the only place i can think of asking cause no one else i know plays it and i dont belong to any other forum board....

any way
so if i took a song for guitar that had the chord names writen above the words and played the same chord on ukulele does that work or not really

for example it says g so i would play the ukulele g
i can clarify if im not making sense...

thank you
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Tuxedo mask - Sailor moon - 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%
Captain Kuro - one piece 100%

questionette

As long as the ukulele is tuned correctly, it will work and produce a similar sounding chord in the same key.

You'll have to learn the fingerings for chords on the ukulele, because they are different than the guitar. Very tricky to play one when you're used to the other.

luckyends

Quote from: questionette on August 31, 2008, 08:09:25 PM
As long as the ukulele is tuned correctly, it will work and produce a similar sounding chord in the same key.

You'll have to learn the fingerings for chords on the ukulele, because they are different than the guitar. Very tricky to play one when you're used to the other.
thanks ^_^ i know the ukulele chords and not guitar ones so that makes it easy cause im trying to play uke ^_^

thanks again that helped
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

Sunara Ishi

As an ukulele is pretty much a smaller ancestor of the modern guitar, any guitar song should be made to work. I think it is just traditionally played differently. Like how the violin and the fiddle are the same instrument but how it is played determines what someone calls it. But as it has different sizes; it might have a slightly different pitch. Like how the Viola and Violin are slightly different because of size.

But I really don't know either instrument as I am only really familiar with the common string instruments found in an Orchestra (violin, viola, bass, and cello).

In case you or others are wondering about translating songs from other instruments:

Generally, it seems things translate if the specific notes are the same; G notes, F notes, etc. However if the instrument is in a higher or lower octave than the song, it may sound odd at times. Example: A high pitch song is played on a low pitch instrument and vice versa can sound odd. But that doesn't mean it can't be done; if something is not right, just play around with the song. I'm pretty sure most songs can be made playable (and sound good too). I'm sure I've played songs from other instruments on my violin at some point. (Its been years since I've played.) Even vocal songs can be done but some of those require a bit of messing around to work out bugs. Heh. In 6th grade, it was a fad to play the Lion King on our instruments. XD;

On an unrelated note, Barnes and Noble is selling composition notebooks for songwriting; it is so cool. XD
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

luckyends

Quote from: Sunara Ishi on August 31, 2008, 10:04:59 PM
As an ukulele is pretty much a smaller ancestor of the modern guitar, any guitar song should be made to work. I think it is just traditionally played differently. Like how the violin and the fiddle are the same instrument but how it is played determines what someone calls it. But as it has different sizes; it might have a slightly different pitch. Like how the Viola and Violin are slightly different because of size.

But I really don't know either instrument as I am only really familiar with the common string instruments found in an Orchestra (violin, viola, bass, and cello).

In case you or others are wondering about translating songs from other instruments:

Generally, it seems things translate if the specific notes are the same; G notes, F notes, etc. However if the instrument is in a higher or lower octave than the song, it may sound odd at times. Example: A high pitch song is played on a low pitch instrument and vice versa can sound odd. But that doesn't mean it can't be done; if something is not right, just play around with the song. I'm pretty sure most songs can be made playable (and sound good too). I'm sure I've played songs from other instruments on my violin at some point. (Its been years since I've played.) Even vocal songs can be done but some of those require a bit of messing around to work out bugs. Heh. In 6th grade, it was a fad to play the Lion King on our instruments. XD;

On an unrelated note, Barnes and Noble is selling composition notebooks for songwriting; it is so cool. XD

it helps alot thanks ^_^

i will also have to check that out becuase i have a thing or 2 i should probably write down on msuic paper
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

pockystix

I've played guitar songs on uke and they still sound similar (maybe more cheerful? lol). I think it's more fun to play on the uke, because of its size and it's easy to carry around (and I have small hands). Chords are chords; should sound the same for any instrument.
New sn = Meirin

luckyends

Quote from: pockystix on September 01, 2008, 02:40:20 PM
I've played guitar songs on uke and they still sound similar (maybe more cheerful? lol). I think it's more fun to play on the uke, because of its size and it's easy to carry around (and I have small hands). Chords are chords; should sound the same for any instrument.

very cool
what type of uke do you have?
i have a suprano and i dont much like the cheariness all the time...
i kinda want a tenor
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%

pockystix

I think I have a soprano. I only play when I'm really bored, cause I'm not that gifted with intruments, lol. It's actually my brother's and we got it when we went to HI a few years back. He doesn't play with it, so I just mess around. P:
New sn = Meirin

luckyends

Quote from: pockystix on September 01, 2008, 08:12:43 PM
I think I have a soprano. I only play when I'm really bored, cause I'm not that gifted with intruments, lol. It's actually my brother's and we got it when we went to HI a few years back. He doesn't play with it, so I just mess around. P:
still thats alot of fun right now im working on ukulele covers of random songs i like
its hard....

i will also probably bring it to fanime so i need to atleast learn a few anime songs
Cosplay Fanime 09
White & Red Ninja- 100%
Ginji- GetBackers 100%