Planning on getting a hotel room for the first time, what to expect?

Started by Freya, September 02, 2008, 11:01:21 PM

Freya

So, I plan on getting a room this time at Fanime as soon as hotel registration opens up, and it'd be my first time doing so (getting a hotel room). I plan on staying at the Hilton since it's the cheaper of the two, although that may be subject to change, depending on the completion of the renovation they're planning.

I'm just wondering what should I expect? Last year, a friend of mine booked in advance at the Marriot for about $400, but she ran into some problems; if I remember right they added a $200 deposit when she checked in at the front desk and she'd planned to pay using her credit card which had a $500 limit. If a book a room, will I also need to keep on mind that I'll be paying for a deposit and what not?

I also have a few questions about the planned renovations - does anyone know what they're doing? I know one of the goals was to fix the plumbing, which I heard could be quite noisy at night, and I've heard from a friend that they planned to improve the bed quality and TVs in the room too.

KyraEnsui

Yes. They do add like $150 deposit when you come to check in for your room. I forgot for what reason (my brain is not working well). So, depending how many nights you're staying then add the deposit is how much they will charge to your card for check-in. Don't worry. It will deposit $150 back to your account in 3 business days. When booking a room, just make sure you have enough funds in your account. I know I had problem with this before when I used my debit card with Visa logo.

So, if you're sharing rooms, it's best to collect the money beforehand! That way, you don't get freeloaders who spent all their money at Dealer's room or other spendage without saving aside their share of room.

otakuapprentice

Quote from: KyraEnsui on September 03, 2008, 06:02:26 PM
Yes. They do add like $150 deposit when you come to check in for your room. I forgot for what reason (my brain is not working well). So, depending how many nights you're staying then add the deposit is how much they will charge to your card for check-in. Don't worry. It will deposit $150 back to your account in 3 business days. When booking a room, just make sure you have enough funds in your account. I know I had problem with this before when I used my debit card with Visa logo.

So, if you're sharing rooms, it's best to collect the money beforehand! That way, you don't get freeloaders who spent all their money at Dealer's room or other spendage without saving aside their share of room.

that $150-200 is a security deposit, just in case something happens to/in the room that needs to be repaired/fixed/replaced by the hotel. They just don't trust us.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Mr Anime

I stayed at the Hilton last year and they didn't ask me for a deposit or anything. I just handed them my credit card and that was it. Guess they do things different at over at the Marriot.
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

Dragon Ninja

Quote from: Mr Anime on September 04, 2008, 09:16:38 PM
I stayed at the Hilton last year and they didn't ask me for a deposit or anything. I just handed them my credit card and that was it. Guess they do things different at over at the Marriot.
I stayed at the Marriot, but they didn't ask me for a deposit. I handed them my credit card and that was it.

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

otakuapprentice

Mearibesu

Quote from: Freya on September 02, 2008, 11:01:21 PM

I also have a few questions about the planned renovations - does anyone know what they're doing? I know one of the goals was to fix the plumbing, which I heard could be quite noisy at night, and I've heard from a friend that they planned to improve the bed quality and TVs in the room too.

ugh! I hope they fix the plumbing...stayed at the hilton and got two rooms. We all had cold showers! not luke warm but FREEZING cold. No matter what time of day!!! It was not fun...other than that it was great!!! As far as the deposit goes they shouldn't charge the deposit amount to your card until you check out and they know everything is fine. Thats how it worked for me last time. I payed for the room in cash then gave them my credit card number. They tried to charge me for WIFI but our group didn't have computers....so they took it off the bill. I'm definatly staying there next year!!

KyraEnsui

I remember that they actually tell you that they will charge you the security deposit into your account, but it won't show up since it's only temporary unless the room is trashed or something then they'll charge you.

^^ I remember it since the person who helped us explain it clearly when I asked.

jemz

I believe that happens when you are using a check card that has either a Visa or Mastercard logo on it. If you are using a regular credit card, then the charge won't be shown. But if you are using a card that is automatically linked to your checking account, you will see a charge of however much is the minimum for the hotel on your statement online. After you check out, the 'security deposit' charge will be erased or returned back to your checking account and then proper amount of the hotel fees will be charged.

They usually tell you about it if you are using a check card.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Freya on September 02, 2008, 11:01:21 PMI also have a few questions about the planned renovations - does anyone know what they're doing? I know one of the goals was to fix the plumbing, which I heard could be quite noisy at night, and I've heard from a friend that they planned to improve the bed quality and TVs in the room too.

I recently (July 4th) was in a Hilton out at Scots Vally.
I have been going there for 10 or so years.
Anyways, this year, they upgraded everything.
New beds, Flatscreen TVs, etc, etc.
I expect that the renovations at the San Jose Hilton will be the same.
This will also be my first year getting a room.
It should be awesome.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Lassiel

I don't know about the Hilton, but the Marriott's beds were just Heaven to me. Maybe it's because my bed at the time sucked, but gawd, I never slept better on those beds. I wanted to steal one. ;.;

Also, I'm hoping if they do charge deposits, that it won't be too much. D: So limited on money! Unless I can manage to snag a job in time. -.- But THEN of course theres getting the time off to worry about. Oiee~

otakuapprentice

all rooms in the Hilton have mini-fridges(as far as i know). win.

SukebeStudios

Does the Marriot or the Hilton offer suites or luxury suites? A bunch of us were planning to get together and get a suite if they had one.

otakuapprentice

FanFicGuru

In my experience, BOTH hotels have charged Security Deposits of $50/night that you are staying. A sort of insurance for the stuff in the rooms so that if you take off and leave a huge mess, or stuff is damaged, they don't have to clear an additional charge with you in order to take more money out of your account. It's not necessarily that they "don't trust us" as a group of people. Whether the convention is for Anime Fans or Airline Pilots, the security deposit is the same. NOTE: The security deposit is charged (typically) on the Friday you check in and will NOT BE CREDITED BACK TO YOUR ACCOUNT WHILE YOU ARE AT FANIME. It usually takes 2 business days or so after the final charge has cleared to credit your account with the security deposit, so don't expect those funds to be available to you over the weekend. I had a friend who counted on getting that back to pay for food, and ended up hosed. So, please, count that money as "dead money" for the weekend and have the additional funds to cover that gap.

The lowdown on the two major hotels:

The Marriott -
The TVs have AV connections in the front, easy hookups for Laptops (if you have a video out setting for your laptop), and of course video game consoles.
Mini-Fridges are NOT included, and while you can request them, usually they're reserved for medical purposes rather than for people to store sodas, etc.
The Marriott side usually has more anime video rooms at the 2nd level, while the Hilton side has historically housed the live action and other video rooms (with a selection of anime video rooms as well)
No complaints as far as service goes. My stay there was pleasant and they addressed all of my concerns as soon as they arose.
The pricing for the Marriott is usually comparable to The Hilton, though their suites cost less last time I checked.

The Hilton -
As of right now the TVs do NOT have AV connections. However, it is going through major renovations, and according to a Hilton staff member, all of the TVs are going to be replaced with flat-panel TVs that will have easy-access AV connectors.
Mini-fridges are included in every room (or at least, everyone I've spoken with who stayed in the hilton had one, so if they're not in EVERY room, they're certainly abundant)
Good service overall.

If you have roommates splitting the bill with you, be sure to collect the cash the DAY YOU ARRIVE. I've made mention of this in other threads, but usually the hotels will take the cash off your hands and credit your account with it so that when you get your security deposit back a couple business days after the con is over you'll also get the room charge back.

One last thing, please, please, PLEASE do not overcrowd your room. As Fanime gets closer you'll be sure to see people saying "LF 8 more people for my hotel room! We have 3 already!" or whatever...just so that everyone only has to pay like, 20 bucks for the weekend.

First of all, it's incredibly dangerous. In the marriott and the hilton the max occupancy for each room is 4 people (Suites, I believe, have a max. occupancy of 6) They use this maximum occupancy when accounting for things like fire alarms and how many people will need to escape from each floor. For example, if a floor has 20 rooms, there should only be 80 people on that floor that need to make their way to emergency stairs and head down. However, if 10 of those rooms have 10 people in it, suddenly instead of 80 people there are 140 people clogging the hallways and the stairs. If you get caught you will be asked to leave.

Secondly, it's no fun. Trust me, having to step past about 8 people in the middle of the night, or coming back to a room so filthy with everyone's clothes, food, goodies they bought downstairs and other stuff is not fun at all. Also, it pisses off the cleaning staff. Instead of having to clean up after 1-4 people, they're cleaning up after 8-12 people, which requires much more work and in turn they're likely to complain to their bosses, who will, in turn, find out how many people are in there and kick you out.

Last year we had a member who was dead set on breaking all the rules, and mad that Fanime wouldn't open a room for people to go and sleep on cots or something. I won't go into all the details as to why that's a really REALLY bad idea, but here's my belief: Going to Fanime is a privilege, not a right. If you work hard and save up money to get yourself a badge and set aside some spending money that's great. That also goes for staying in a hotel. A typical room for fanime over 3 nights will cost roughly 350-400 dollars. That's 87.50-100 dollars per person for the weekend. In the end, you get what you pay for imo.

Anyways, enough rambling from me. That's about all I have to say about Hotels and such. I hope you have a great Fanime!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

KyraEnsui

Quote from: sam1 on January 05, 2009, 06:47:33 AM
I have never heard of deposit but whatever it sucks I guess. DO they give it back when you are checking out?

Yes they do after check-out.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: KyraEnsui on January 05, 2009, 09:21:35 AM
Quote from: sam1 on January 05, 2009, 06:47:33 AM
I have never heard of deposit but whatever it sucks I guess. DO they give it back when you are checking out?

Yes they do after check-out.

Yeah the deposit does suck, but they return it to you within 2-3 business days after you check out.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

namineartbook

Hi! This is my first time, and I was wondering if the hotels offer complimentary breakfasts like in a regular hotel on a normal day, or if they don't because of Fanime. Thank you!  :)

BrightHeart76

Quote from: namineartbook on January 15, 2009, 09:18:55 PM
Hi! This is my first time, and I was wondering if the hotels offer complimentary breakfasts like in a regular hotel on a normal day, or if they don't because of Fanime. Thank you!  :)

No complimentary breakfasts.  However, the Hilton usually has a pretty good breakfast buffet...you do have to pay for it.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Freya

Well, with hotel registration up, I've got another question to ask - I plan on rooming with my sister, but does it cost more to get a room with two beds versus a room with one bed? I'm not sure what they mean with the double/double bedded rooms.