Large Hadron Collider is activated

Started by Mister_E, September 10, 2008, 01:32:00 AM

Mister_E

LINK

Scientists have switched on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the device they hope will unravel some of the remaining mysteries of the universe.

At 9.30 am local time (8.30 am British Summer Time), 300 feet below the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, the most powerful particle accelerator ever built became fully operational.

Let me put it this way:

They turned it on.

Nothing Bad Happened. Yet.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

JohnnyAR

Stormfalcon

No mini black holes ripping the planet apart.  No dimensional rifts letting tentacled beasties into our world.  So far, so good.

OTOH, no dimensional rifts letting anime cuties or bishies into our world, either.  Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Stormfalcon on September 10, 2008, 06:59:43 AM
OTOH, no dimensional rifts letting anime cuties or bishies into our world, either.  Gotta take the good with the bad, I guess.

That'd be awesome.

Mister_E

Quote from: Stormfalcon on September 10, 2008, 06:59:43 AM
No mini black holes ripping the planet apart.  No dimensional rifts letting tentacled beasties into our world.  So far, so good.

Hell to that, I wanted a Zaku to pop out.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

LordKefka

This is just another one of those Y2K situations where skeptics drown themselves in paranoia (that or just doubt)
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Tony

Why worry! If something happens, I imagine it would hit you before you know it.

There are scarier physics out there...
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Mizuki

It hasn't been activated today, it was just a ceremony. October is when you should really be scared, but nothing will happen, maybe a blackhole the size of a house (AKA nothing in space) will open and like dust may get sucked in, oh well.

JTchinoy

won't the very ground beneath the black hole get eaten as well?
do black holes move based on the gravitational pull of other objects or do they sit in place?  if they sit in place, won't that mean that black hole would suck up everything on earth that touches it as earth makes its orbit around the sun?

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

sysadmin

I read a some physics blogs in my daily activities, and most of them just roll their eyes at these types of discussions.

It is mathematically true that there is a non-zero chance of something bad happening.  Then again, there's a non-zero chance that I will quantum tunnel into your house right now.  So.. BOO!.

For the boring stuff: only certain models of the universe (compact dimensions) suggest that a tiny black hole is possible.  In other theories, the math doesn't work out.   Even then, the resulting black hole is so small (original size: one large atomic nucleus compacted into a space much smaller than that) that it would radiate away instantly (in most black hole theories).  Even if it didn't, a black hole that's zillions of times smaller than a proton actually can't absorb a proton and grow larger.. so that's that.

do black holes move based on the gravitational pull of other objects or do they sit in place?  if they sit in place, won't that mean that black hole would suck up everything on earth that touches it as earth makes its orbit around the sun?
They move according to gravity, if one was created, it'd go for the center of the earth.  But since it's so tiny, it won't interact with anything in its way, so it would probably just head there and sit there.  That's assuming that one is created and doesn't immediately disappear.

It hasn't been activated today, it was just a ceremony. October is when you should really be scared, but nothing will happen, maybe a blackhole the size of a house (AKA nothing in space) will open and like dust may get sucked in, oh well.
Yeah, the first collisions are in October.  But a blackhole the size of a house is too large.  Again, think 'less than a proton' in terms of size.

Black holes don't suck.  They're just "really dense" things.  A black hole as massive as a house will have as much gravity as a house.  You can out run those pretty easy.   If you had a black hole several times the mass of the sun, that would do some funky things.  But that's not really possible with the stuff we have lying around.

More awesome of course is that Large Hardon Collider.  But I can't talk about it on a PG-13 forum.

XpHoBiaX

QuoteMore awesome of course is that Large Hardon Collider.  But I can't talk about it on a PG-13 forum.

;D

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

mDuo13

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on September 10, 2008, 03:00:50 PM
QuoteMore awesome of course is that Large Hardon Collider.  But I can't talk about it on a PG-13 forum.

;D
sysadmin wins this thread.

ewu

shit is going around it but no collisions will occur until October 21

Theoretically, micro-black holes are still not a threat. The likelihood of forming a black hole is something like 1:50million and the creation of a STABLE black hole is even smaller. There is this thing called Hawking radiation (yes, the SAME Hawking) that black holes emit and cause the black holes to "evaporate".

Guys...this is something like worrying about a plane crash, EMF radiation, lightning, BPAs, or death by meteor when the real threat is heart disease....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chun

Quote from: ewu on September 10, 2008, 04:23:21 PM

So a possible end of the world on my biological birthday.

Should prove... interesting? lol

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Chun on September 10, 2008, 05:15:39 PM
Quote from: ewu on September 10, 2008, 04:23:21 PM

So a possible end of the world on my biological birthday.

Should prove... interesting? lol

~Chun

Oh hell no. How come he  gets all the fireworks on his birthday?!

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

otakuapprentice

if Y2K didnt bring the world to madness by destroying technology, then this wont do a damn thing.

now if you fast forward 4 years and 3 months to 2012, then we should be scared shitless.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

sysadmin

Quote from: otakuapprentice on September 10, 2008, 06:38:50 PM
now if you fast forward 4 years and 3 months to 2012, then we should be scared shitless.

Oh God, not this again.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: sysadmin on September 10, 2008, 06:41:30 PM

Oh God, not this again.

Lol @ sysadmin

otakuapprentice

Quote from: JohnnyAR on September 10, 2008, 06:59:46 PM
Quote from: sysadmin on September 10, 2008, 06:41:30 PM

Oh God, not this again.

Lol @ sysadmin
yes, it is THIS again. I'll be sitting in a lawn chair drinking a beer waiting; if nothing happens, I'll be disappointed.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom