Looking for colored contacts...

Started by questionette, September 11, 2008, 07:51:58 PM

questionette

Anyone know where to get them cheap? 50$ for one pair that I'm going to use for one day is pretty lame...

I'm looking for purple ones btw for my lenalee costume :D

Yukari Kaiba

you're not going to find purple theatrical contacts for less than $50 - the only ones i've seen in that price range are natural colors.
I get my theatrical contacts from Cosplaylab.com's ProShop (you'll need a prescription to order from them though, even for powerless lenses). They ship really fast though, i got mine in a week.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Kanzake

I believe the FDA or some other organization put a ban of powerless contact lenses to anyone without a prescription. Im in the same boat as you so before ordering some contacts, make sure you see an optomitrist and get a prescription. Theyll probably give you a test non powered pair to see if its comfortable and they measure your eyes or something *Shrugs* Good luck~
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

LemonBubbles

Well here is a link to that Cosplay Lab shop that the other person mentioned, in case you don't have it it. =D

http://www.cosplaylab.com/proshop/cosmeticlens.asp

But while we are on the topic of colored contacts.... I heard once that if you have dark eyes, light colored contacts will not work very well.
Like, I have brown eyes and I want light blue contacts. Now I'm pretty sure this isn't true, but could anyone just... reaffirm that for me, please? ^^;; Thanks.

Charis

LemonBubble - my understanding is that they make coloured contacts specifically for dark eyes.  I'm not sure how the light colours work, but I'm under the impression they're more opaque than the ones that can be used to tint lighter eyes.

I've got a double whammy of a problem, in trying to find toric prescription lenses that are friendly for dark eyes.  Ah, well ... at least I don't have any cosplays where eye colour is critical.  T_T
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

questionette

Thank you for the input everyone ~

I found a website called bluemoonlenses.com, and they had black lenses for 20$ (the other theatrical lenses were 45) but when I went back the webiste was gone D: I guess it's a good thing I didn't order from there..

And I found a site called www.cheapestcolorcontacts.com

they have the same black lenses for 39...so I bought them lol
I used google checkout so it's pretty legit right? Hope so...=O

Edit: OMG look how crazy these contacts are!! I've never seen these before!

http://www.lensmart.com/la/product/default.asp?pid=172337&catid=10908&aid=337670&aparam=soft_lens_technology_jagg

Yukari Kaiba

did they ask for a prescription? if they didn't I would say its not a legit site, since like someone already mentioned its FDA law now to have one when ordering lenses.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

LemonBubbles

Quote from: Charis on September 12, 2008, 08:25:21 AM
LemonBubble - my understanding is that they make coloured contacts specifically for dark eyes

Do you (or anyone else who is reading this) happen to know where there could be some at a reasonable price? All the ones I found are crazy expensive! I'm definately not going be spending more on contacts then the entire convention put together... Dx

Kazuko

Quote from: LemonBubbles on September 12, 2008, 06:54:48 PM
LemonBubble - my understanding is that they make coloured contacts specifically for dark eyes

Do you (or anyone else who is reading this) happen to know where there could be some at a reasonable price? All the ones I found are crazy expensive! I'm definately not going be spending more on contacts then the entire convention put together... Dx

Yeah colored contacts run alot of money because they use expensive material, if you find reaaaaly cheap ones...well I feel bad for your eyes and i hope you dont turn blind in the process

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: LemonBubbles on September 12, 2008, 06:54:48 PM

the cheapest I've seen them go is about 35, but that was for like natural looking lenses. the more artistic looking they are, the more expensive they get (and sclera lenses go for about at least 100, some i've seen for 300). The lenses I got for my Ulquiorra Schiffer cosplay were about 86 with shipping from cosplaylab.com's proshop.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

ToshiX

looking into contacts myself
but gotta say bit much over my price range for ichigo's hollow one's
http://www.cosplaylab.com/proshop/contactlens.asp?id=269
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

Yukari Kaiba

Quote from: ToshiX on September 12, 2008, 09:40:58 PM

i love those lenses XD I'm too iffy though about scleras though, I don't think I'd be able to put them in, let alone try to get them out once i did. those you have to get fitted for though since they cover your entire eyeball.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

ToshiX

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on September 12, 2008, 11:26:48 PM
Quote from: ToshiX on September 12, 2008, 09:40:58 PM

i love those lenses XD I'm too iffy though about scleras though, I don't think I'd be able to put them in, let alone try to get them out once i did. those you have to get fitted for though since they cover your entire eyeball.

lol not too worry I could get it fitted and everthing fine
its just the cost thats holding me back XD
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

hellangel

Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

Death_Note_Matt

Oh wow I was thinking of getting contacts too @_@ But I was sort of scared I might poke myself X3
but I guess I will try them out this year ¬3¬
Another Player has Entered the Game

Yukari Kaiba

if you don't wear contacts regularly or can't poke yourself in the eye without flinching, its going to take a bit of patience to get used to putting them in and taking them out. I myself don't need to wear contacts, so when I got mine I first practiced touching my eyeball. Mentally telling yourself not to blink helps a bit (at least for me it did). Once you get the hang of it, it will get a lot easier to put them in and take them out =)
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Death_Note_Matt

Thanks for the advice XD
Now I will not go blind @_@
Thank you so much X3 I will try that.
Another Player has Entered the Game

h-chan

I get mine at the beauty supply store in Oakland. I forget the name...It was a yellow and blue building on Telegraph and I think 27th st. $20 bucks. No prescription needed. I suggest you get the brand in the blue box (they only have two brands for regular lenses). The blue box ones are more straightforward for the color you choose. The ones in the purple box tend to add a more "realistic" look that I'm not terribly sold on. The one pair of light blue color contacts I bought from the purple box brand had a bit of yellow around the outside of the pupil to simulate what some people with real blue eyes, have (like my best friend). I hope that made sense. Gomen!

Rei-Rei

Quote from: h-chan on September 19, 2008, 06:47:12 PM
I get mine at the beauty supply store in Oakland. I forget the name...It was a yellow and blue building on Telegraph and I think 27th st. $20 bucks. No prescription needed. I suggest you get the brand in the blue box (they only have two brands for regular lenses). The blue box ones are more straightforward for the color you choose. The ones in the purple box tend to add a more "realistic" look that I'm not terribly sold on. The one pair of light blue color contacts I bought from the purple box brand had a bit of yellow around the outside of the pupil to simulate what some people with real blue eyes, have (like my best friend). I hope that made sense. Gomen!
I wouldn't really trust those sellers if I were you.
I mean of course it's convenient without having to get an eye exam.... But what they're doing is illegal.
Or maybe I misunderstood? Somehow?
And we don't really know if the store really sells legit lenses.