Upcoming Election - McCain or Obama?

Started by Steve.Young, September 15, 2008, 04:51:12 PM

Steve.Young

Explain

1) Why you would vote for one over the other. McCain or Obama?
2) Who do you think is the stronger Vice-President Candidate?
3) Do you believe the current economic tensions in the financial and stock markets will affect the voters?
4) Is high gas prices/energy still a concern? Will it affect the election.

Overall, who do you believe is going to take the election?

Just throwing this out there, cause it has been a hot topic in the media these days.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

edendreams

Personally I don't want to vote for either but i don't like how McCain brought in Governor Palin to just shake things up. She's a pretty gal but I'd rather this was more about What we as americans need rather then a mudslinging soap opera. Honestly i don't care what the news can bring up about a candidate but i do care about the childish ways this election is being run.

so... for right now i'm leaning obama because i respect him more

a little art by me ^-^

Tony

1. I'm voting for Obama, for ideological and strategic purposes. Another way of saying that: I'm not voting against McCain. I wasn't impressed with his choice for VP, but it did make me smile.
2. I think Biden - but not by a huge margin - due to his experience.
3. Definitely.
4. Not as much as #3.

I would put #3 and #4 under the same "economy" umbrella, and I think that'll decide the election. Sadly, I'm pretty sure the Boomers are going to roll over any campaign that goes against their interests, which at this point are highly, highly conservative - at least financially.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Steve.Young

Right, I would categorize them in the same umbrella as well, however, I do believe they are almost big enough issues to stand on their own.

The financial market is getting hit hard, but most of that is due to the credit crisis and the failures of the large financial institutions.
The government right is having to bail out some of these companies and put them under their control, as well as making huge loans. This is a short term solution.

I'm sorta glad the dollar is rising against the other currencies and that gas has fallen to under 100 bucks a barrel due to the rise of the dollar.

1) I'd vote for Obama. McCain is trying very hard to move away from the very unpopular Bush Administration, and trying to sever all ties. I don't believe he's really sincere when he speaks about all the things he wants to implement/change. Especially with a Democrat controlled Congress, McCain would have a harder time pushing bills through, even if they were good bills. Just how politics work.

2) I would say Palin. My reasoning would be mostly due to the nature of the message that the candidates are trying to portray. Change. Away from the current administration policies, away from the wars, away from the huge budget deficit, and to change the face of American politics in the worlds eyes. Bush has systematically destroyed the image of the US in the world with his actions. He let treaties expire, he let beneficial agreements die, and various other things. Palin is a woman, first and foremost. That is a HUGE change. She would potentially also sway many woman voters who happened to not decide on a candidate yet.

3) Hell yes, see above.

4) Number 3 is actually a greater issue that seems to affect how number 4 goes. It's semi-related but both have issues of their own that need to be solved by themselves.

I think it will be close, and I don't really have enough information to make an informed decision on who will win. However, my hunch goes to Obama. He seems to have a charisma about him that inspires the feeling that change will happen if he gets elected.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

questionette

OBAMA, hands down.  The man might as well be Moses.  I think we need a change to a Democratic president, too.  Bush did me in.  McCain is ALRIGHT, because he's a moderate/liberal Republican, but I REALLY DON'T LIKE his VP Palin, the Conservative Conservative. D:  Also, Obama is a great public speaker! He really captures crowds and I think that's a great characteristic a president should have.
Whereas McCain, when asked by the Evangelical Christians, "Is there evil in the world? What would you do about it?" he replied "Yes.  We should kill it."
The Evangelicals liked his response much better than Obama's....lol

2) Who do you think is the stronger Vice-President Candidate? Biden! Biden has far more experience than Palin, and honestly, Palin is a false idol.  In my liberal, biased view, McCain chose Palin BECAUSE she's a woman.  Because Hillary isn't in the running any more McCain saw it as a way to get ahead by choosing a woman and thus swaying all the idiot voters that want a woman in office.  AND despite that she's "pro family morals" she has a 17 year old pregnant daughter, wtf? Not a good message.  But her "MILF," technically "GILF" status sways some people as well.  But when it comes down to who really deserves to be in office, it's Biden.   

3) Do you believe the current economic tensions in the financial and stock markets will affect the voters?
Well, McCain intends to use Reaganomics if he wins, which means HE WON'T TAX RICH PEOPLE as much because they have money, and thus use money so it might "trickle down" to us average folk.  Oh goodie.  Obama will probably lower taxes for middle class as well, which means immediate slightly less financial pressure in that perspective.  I'm not 100% on what Obama is going to do yet, though.  But really, we all fucked ourselves over in the stock market.  Did you know the average American spends 1.22$ for every 1.00 we earn? That's a lot of money when it adds up.  CREDIT CREDIT CREDIT.

4) Is high gas prices/energy still a concern? Will it affect the election.
As of currently, the cost of oil is actually descending.  It may really depend on what McCain plans to do if we stay in Iraq (which everyone knows he will.)  Also, if Obama gets presidency, and he proceeds to slowely take troops out of Iraq, then what will the countries of the middle east do? See it as weakness? Attack? Or will they see it as a peace agreement? Who knows.  The prices of oil will definitely be a factor in that little equation.

And watch this clip on the daily show about offshore drilling...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/07/daily-show-on-offshore-dr_n_117500.html

Sorry if I went on tangent with some of the topics LOL I'm an International Relations student, so I watch a lot of news now, I just have so much to share!

G.I.R

Maybe I'm alone on this but I believe whoever wins will be a one term President (because there will be eight years of B.S. to clean up.)

Jin-Chi-Chan

Though I won't be voting (underaged), I would probably vote for Obama. Just as a default. I wasn't really crazy for any of the candidates this year...
2) Who do you think is the stronger Vice-President Candidate?
I forget Obama's VP but I think Palin is too new. She just doesn't have a very strong or impressive background. Not to mention the "teen pregnancy" kinda hints she doesn't really have too much control over her own life so why should we put her in a position to effect ours?

G.I.R

Obama's running mate is Delaware senator Joe Biden.

Jin-Chi-Chan

Glitch

*Waits for everybody to take pitch forks and torches.*
So I guess no love for Nader? *takes out shield.*
Now before you throw the scapegoat that was the 2000 election, Nader did help put seat belts and a bunch of other safety precautions in several industries that we now take for granted. Although the lynch mob doesn't have to worry, it doesn't look he'll have any effect on Obama's votes.(although he didn't really affact Al Gore's either to begin with.) XD

G.I.R

I'm not really a fan of Nader, but I certainly don't Blame him for the fiasco of 2000 Elections.   That was Jebb Bush and his cronies in The State of Florida and FOX News.

On a side note, I found it interesting that former L.A. Mayor Richard Reardon (R)  put his support behind Obama because he had dealt with McCain in the past, and said he just didn't like him, and couldn't respect him.

Glitch

Quote from: G.I.R on September 19, 2008, 01:02:49 PM
I'm not really a fan of Nader, but I certainly don't Blame him for the fiasco of 2000 Elections.   That was Jebb Bush and his cronies in The State of Florida and FOX News.

On a side note, I found it interesting that former L.A. Mayor Richard Reardon (R)  put his support behind Obama because he had dealt with McCain in the past, and said he just didn't like him, and couldn't respect him.
I will say Obama over McCain. Not to sound like an Obama band wagon, but I really don't like how McCain has started to transform into a typical republican and still spouts about being a maverick.

G.I.R

And what's up with the "Country First" slogan?

questionette

Quote from: G.I.R on September 19, 2008, 03:02:35 PM

LMAO I know! Who knew a president could put their country first?

G.I.R

Quote from: questionette on September 20, 2008, 11:32:21 PM
Quote from: G.I.R on September 19, 2008, 03:02:35 PM

LMAO I know! Who knew a president could put their country first?
Certainly not the current one. lol

Steve.Young

Wait, Presidents put their countries first?

This has happened?
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

G.I.R

Quote from: Steve.Young on September 22, 2008, 04:25:34 PM

This has happened?

Think of any President before L.B.J. (except that drunken sod U.S. Grant.)

Steve.Young

Quote from: G.I.R on September 22, 2008, 04:28:35 PM
Quote from: Steve.Young on September 22, 2008, 04:25:34 PM

This has happened?

Think of any President before L.B.J. (except that drunken sod U.S. Grant.)

lol President Grant...rofl
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Dagger-6

The sheer amount of ignorance displayed here makes me feel better that most of you are too apathetic to vote anyways.

"drunken sod Grant, rofl"

Great contribution to the discussion.

Let's ignore the contribution of presidents such as Nixon, who was willing to sacrifice Taiwan and forge an alliance with long-standing enemy China to strengthen America's position.

And while George HW Bush may have spoke of a new world order, this concept traces all the way back to World War I, when Woodrow Wilson spoke of a League of Nations that would commit the US to wars that had no relation to its own national interests.

Steve.Young

Sarcasm escapes the INTERNET for some people.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com