Upcoming Election - McCain or Obama?

Started by Steve.Young, September 15, 2008, 04:51:12 PM

G.I.R

...and bad puns to.

I look a voting for candidates for president as picking the lesser of two weasels,

sysadmin

Quote from: Steve.Young on September 23, 2008, 02:17:47 PM
Sarcasm escapes the INTERNET for some people.

This is the Serious Business forum.  If you want to do jokes or other stuff, please use a different subforum.

Thanks.

Steve.Young

Quote from: sysadmin on September 23, 2008, 05:36:17 PM
Quote from: Steve.Young on September 23, 2008, 02:17:47 PM
Sarcasm escapes the INTERNET for some people.

This is the Serious Business forum.  If you want to do jokes or other stuff, please use a different subforum.

Thanks.

While that is true, serious business tends to have lots of underlying sarcasm, ESPECIALLY when your talking about politics...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

sysadmin

Quote from: Steve.Young on September 23, 2008, 05:40:49 PM
While that is true, serious business tends to have lots of underlying sarcasm, ESPECIALLY when your talking about politics...

I am aware of that.

However, this still remains the "Serious" forum; I would prefer if everyone made an effort to keep it at that serious level.  [Yes, it does take some effort, I know]

For those who need a more laid back forum, we have Universe and BYO/b/ that are open.

Please respect this boundary.  Thank you.

Sunara Ishi

1) I'm voting for Obama. He's down to earth and has a good head on his shoulders.
He makes good decisions, is focused on what really important. He's a "brotha" in the "homeboy" sort of sense.
And McCain is just out of date. He's someone whose values are straight forward and easily understood. He's respectable.
And he has the brains and ability to be able to deal with foreign countries as well as our own. He doesn't attack people; instead he stays rational and focused on what's important. (Yes I know I'm repeating.) I think that makes him able to sanely talk and deal with leaders of foreign nations; and with domestic and foreign problems.

2)Obama's running mate. I HATE Palin. If its not obvious, emphasis on HATE. Almost anyone is better than Palin. She's corrupt; having a librarian fired because she wouldn't ban books and taking action against someone because he wouldn't fire her brother in law. She's so religiously fanatical that it feels like she would be one of those preachers standing on the street corners. She is really lacking in knowledge; she's pretty much a female Bush. A country under her would be a very scary place to live in. D: And her family values are such B.S. And lets not forget her controlling the media when she had those "meetings" with foreign diplomat type peoples.

3)Hell yes. -.-; If it doesn't, then that person is either really well off or ignorant. >.>; I think a lot of people may have made up their minds already; and it may not have as huge an impact on those but those that haven't will definitely be looking at how the candidate reacts, how they will help with the problem, and possibly how they will help keep the issue from re-occurring.

4)It is a huge concern but it will not have as huge an affect as the economy. It may not decide the vote as much as economic help might.

However, let it be noted that I decided on voting for Obama before Palin was even introduced. I really liked both Obama and Clinton.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Umi.Ryuuzaki

I'll come from a perspective that I am fairly informed but I don't know everything position.

1) Why you would vote for one over the other. McCain or Obama?

Obama. More down to earth, actually focusing on the 90% of America that is hurting from current economic problems. His foreign policy isn't perfect, but considering the alternative, McCain, I'll stick with Obama to not get into another war (unless we get attacked by a real sovereign state). Policy wise, Obama has some good ideas, but it will be tested the day he gets into office and actually gets them passed (or at least discussed); the same thing goes for McCain.

Jokingly, I'll be surprised if McCain makes it to Election Day =P

2) Who do you think is the stronger Vice-President Candidate?

I don't know enough about either, but from what I heard from the media, Biden seems like the better choices of the two.

3) Do you believe the current economic tensions in the financial and stock markets will affect the voters?

The last 9-10 months already showed, stressed out, and pissed off all voters how our economic system needs fixing if not borderline overhaul. The US dollar has lost at least 20% face value and while everyone else in the world is coming here to buy cheap US goods, it does affect other people relying on the strong US dollar to help immigrants support their families (example - Mexicans sending US money to help their family back in Mexico, Filipinos in the US and other places sending US money back to the Philippines).

Now if we didn't invest in Iraq, 700 Billion USD won't sound as bad right and we can shrug it off, but that is another story.

4) Is high gas prices/energy still a concern? Will it affect the election?

Still is, will be still by Election Day. When I graduated high school back in 2002, gas was maybe 1.60-1.75. We peaked at 5+ and though we're dropping, I don't think we'll ever see very low gas unless we GTFO (replace the O of out with off) oil. This dependence on oil is hurting us and the current Bush administration barely gave money to alternatives.

Sorry that I had to use GTFO in a wierd context, but if you look at it, its what's been the thing for the last eight years...
Chito, aka Kaiyoko
-Formerly Umi.Ryuuzaki

FanimeCon E-Gaming
-Veteran E-Gaming staff since 2002
-Dept Head '05/06, Assist Dept Head '07, on break '08-'11, returned 2012
Gaming Hall Staffer 2013
-Yarr!

G.I.R

What? no comments on the Biden / Palin debate?

SOawesomeness

Saturday Night Live summed it up very nicely. I didn't even have to watch the real debate.
>.>
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

JohnnyAR

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on October 06, 2008, 11:21:38 PM
Saturday Night Live summed it up very nicely. I didn't even have to watch the real debate.
>.>

*Raised Fist salute*

questionette

Wow, I seriously fell in love with Obama even more after tonight's debate - any comments on it? Though the time constraints sucked I think both of the candidates did extremely well under the pressure, answering questions from residents and press in Tennessee.

One person even asked "Why should we trust you with our money considering it's the fault of both parties that the economic crisis is occuring now?"  - If I were a politician I don't know how eloquently I would be able to answer THAT.

And my favorite part was when McCain stated that he would be able to cover the issues of energy, healthcare, and social security in relation to the economy all at once - claiming, "We are not rifles, here.  We're Americans!"

Wtf?! LOL

Steve.Young

I haven't had time to watch it, but I plan to when I get home tonight.

However, reading on some of the points that that the candidates made, I am by far still not impressed. heh.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

JohnnyAR

Quote from: questionette on October 07, 2008, 10:10:16 PM
McCain stated that he would be able to cover the issues of energy, healthcare, and social security in relation to the economy all at once

Its just a damn fantasy thats all.

G.I.R

Quote from: JohnnyAR on October 08, 2008, 02:52:46 PM
McCain stated that he would be able to cover the issues of energy, healthcare, and social security in relation to the economy all at once

It's not a Fantasy!  Your Grand kids will cover the cost.  Trickle down economics 101.

JohnnyAR

Quote from: G.I.R on October 08, 2008, 03:19:55 PM

It's not a Fantasy!  Your Grand kids will cover the cost.  Trickle down economics 101.

I meant that its a fantasy to solve all those problems in a short period of time and that the solutions won't be permanent.

G.I.R

Quote from: JohnnyAR on October 08, 2008, 04:18:42 PM

I meant that its a fantasy to solve all those problems in a short period of time and that the solutions won't be permanent.
Once Again:  Trickle down economics 101.   ;D

Mizuki

Hi G.I.R, I'd like for an explination of why you quote the posts above you. Blankly quoting a post doesn't really do much, and is frankly spam in my eyes.

Steve.Young

Quote from: Mizuki on October 11, 2008, 10:34:08 PM
Hi G.I.R, I'd like for an explination of why you quote the posts above you. Blankly quoting a post doesn't really do much, and is frankly spam in my eyes.

He didn't, he just can't "Quote" properly.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

G.I.R

It's called a typo, And I have lots of trouble reading the screen, and typing since I got out of the Hospital.

Mizuki

Quote from: G.I.R on October 12, 2008, 01:26:19 PM

It's called a typo, And I have lots of trouble reading the screen, and typing since I got out of the Hospital.

No problem, just now people know not to blank quote =).

Anyways, I'd input something, but I'm still writing my article up.

Glitch

Quote from: G.I.R on October 08, 2008, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: JohnnyAR on October 08, 2008, 04:18:42 PM

Once Again:  Trickle down economics 101.   ;D

Trickle down economics: We will overfeed a fat kid and hope tiny crumbs fall onto starving people.  ;D
The best description somebody has given me.