California Ballot Initiatives 2008

Started by G.I.R, September 27, 2008, 11:33:49 AM

G.I.R

I haven't heard much discussion here about the ballot initiatives for the upcoming election.

Here is a list of the initiatives , with a short description:   http://as.sdsu.edu/rockthevote/california.html

i'd suggest reading up on them.  Any feedback?

Gatsby

I'm strongly against proposition 8: limits on marriage.

Glitch

I'd say yes on prop 2. Our meat should come from happy animals.

Barnes

Cliff notes version of what I think:

Proposition 1= Voting Yes
Proposition 4= Voting No
Proposition 7= Dunno (Need to ask my uncle how it would affect his business)
Proposition 8= Voting No
Proposition 10= Dunno (Same as 7)

Others=Not sure yet.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

SOawesomeness

I can't vote, but whatever.
Prop 2, 10: Yes.
Prop 1, 3, 4, 8, 9: No.
Prop 5, 6, 7: I'm partial to these.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Dagger-6

Proposition 1: No.  I like public transportation, but Amtrack already exists and mass transit works better in metropolitan areas as opposed to spread out over the third largest state.

Proposition 2: No.  Waste of time and money.

Proposition 3: Yes.  Hooray for hospitals.

Proposition 4: No.  While I think parents should be notified, again, the law is a waste of time and money.

5: Yes,
And
6: Yes.  Less time on nonviolent drug offenders, more time on violent gangs.  Still, stay off the doobie kids.

7: Yes.  Though I still say a nice good 'ol nuclear reactor in a part of the state we dont' like is a good alternative.

8: No.  I'm not gay, but I like to keep my options open.

9: Yes.  It's not just about the suspect.

10: No.  I like the money for research, but not the money given to people for buying cars.  Maybe when the Prius' battery isn't a giant pollutant box.

11: What the hell?  I think I get it...so I'll go with yes.

12: Yes.

G.I.R

I'm probably voting "No" on all the measures except Prop. 5 (Nonviolent Offenders. Sentencing, Parole and Rehabilitation )  and possibly prop  1A (the high speed rail initiative).  Prop 8 should have been pulled off the ballot (The wording was changed after the signatures on thw petitions were collected).

Lactose

im really happy to see everyone voting no on 8. =)

my mom just got married a couple weeks ago to her girlfriend of 14 years, and i'd love to see that stay valid. =)
Lactose = Liz

Glitch

The commercials for Prop 8 are pretty retarded. They act like the state will burn and crush all the churches in California if gays can marry. Plus the only argument presented is that you vote yes simply because for old times sake.

And again,yes on prop 2. Aside from humane treatment of animals, their current living conditions are ripe for diseases.

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Glitch on October 01, 2008, 03:11:44 PM
The commercials for Prop 8 are pretty retarded. They act like the state will burn and crush all the churches in California if gays can marry. Plus the only argument presented is that you vote yes simply because for old times sake.

Which would pretty much work for the folks they're aiming those ads at.  Hopefully the polls will prove accurate and show that those folks are now in a minority of voters.

My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Shi_Musouka

Proposition 1 - I'm indecisive about it. Yea, we have Amtrak so I don't really see much use in another rail system, but perhaps if it makes public transport prices cheaper, I may be inclined to say yes, but I don't know... :-\

Proposition 2 - Yes, because to cramp up animals in a confined space would just increase the chances of contaminated meat.

Proposition 3 - Yea, for obvious reasons. lol

Proposition 4 - Dude seriously, this law is only going to scare girls from safe abortion practices. Like Dan said, a waste of time and money.

Proposition 5 and 6 - Indecisive, because I feel we already spend tons of money on these criminal facilities(Hell, the juvenille correctional facilities have better computer equipment than most schools I know of), but I also feel that rehabilitation is needed to prevent these things from happening frequently.

Proposition 10 - Yes, for obvious reasons as well. Besides, with Bush vetoing every single renewable energy-related bill out there, someone's gotta start somewhere.

Proposition 8 - No. Clearly if two straight people who hate each other has more of a right to be together than two gays who love each other, you know something is wrong with our social standards...

Proposition 9, 12, and 11 - Indecisive. I don't really get the logistics of either one.

After further reading of Prop 7, I had decided to vote No on it because of all the fundamental flaws contained in writing it.

G.I.R

Stormfalcon

On Proposition One, this will be for a high-speed rail line running between SoCal and the Bay Area, sort of like the lines that Japan has throughout their country and what Europe has.  Yes, we have Amtrak, and Amtrak stinks on ice.  Hopefully, this'll be better in terms of it being faster and running a lot more often (IIRC, the Amtrak runs trains between the Bay Area and SoCal only once a day each way), and will hopefully be cheaper than flying these days.

It's too bad the US as a whole isn't keeping up with Japan and Europe as far as rail service goes.  At least we have the opportunity to take some steps as a state, though.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

Mizuki

Hi guys, other than just saying "I'd like to vote for #" expand on it. Give us a reason, without explanation it's just blank words to up your post count on this forum.

G.I.R

Quote from: Stormfalcon on October 11, 2008, 07:59:33 AM
On Proposition One, this will be for a high-speed rail line running between SoCal and the Bay Area, sort of like the lines that Japan has throughout their country and what Europe has.  Yes, we have Amtrak, and Amtrak stinks on ice.  Hopefully, this'll be better in terms of it being faster and running a lot more often (IIRC, the Amtrak runs trains between the Bay Area and SoCal only once a day each way), and will hopefully be cheaper than flying these days.

Which is one of the best reasons to vote yes on 1A

Kazuko

here are my throwdowns for these props

1A/1: Yes: because we are a modernizing state, I live in a area (lol central valley) where there is barley any means of public transportation to get to the bay area, Aside from ACE that runs on the weekdays (it doesnt run on the weekends), and Amtrak and greyhound cost alot. At th Rate of us consumming our natural resources it is ideal for a bullet train from sac to socal and it will also transfer to places like bart and such to get to the bay area. Plus some of our Merced and other central valley friends can use this as well since it will expand everywhere.

2: Yes: I have seen the horrible conditions that these animals are held in, small cramped cages, Tiny boxes that lead these animals to their deaths. At least give room so these animals dont develop diseases and are at peace rather then stressing out in these filth boxes that big companies have placed on these cute animals. They would get better treatment and ban electric prod and castrating lambs and pigs tails and such. Lets put the cruelty behind!

3: Yes: Children hospitals need to expand

4: No: A girl has the right to decide regardless of age to abort the girl has the right to tell her parents because not all parents are going to be understanding.

5 and 6: Yes: because I feel that it could reduce crime rates and help the prevention of future violences

7: No: It will shut down current energy saving buisneses because it will be tanked over by big companies and I dont like to see the little company go down and it looks a bit poorly written like there are a few loopholes since not everyone can afford an energysaving appliance with our current economy

8: No, its only fair if two straight people can get married then two gay/lesbian/bi/transgendered people to get married as well.

9: I am unsure about this at the moment

10: Yes: because at the rate we are consuming gas there will be no more natural resources and I dont want to resort to offshore drilling because it could affect our oceans even more. I mean they are polluted lets not cause a huge oilspill like the ones in alaska (if anyone remembers the big one in like 94 where it affected alot of wildlife species). Its about time we reduce pollution and start finding cleaner energy sources

11: Im unsure about it

12: Yes Since our war veterans need alot of help they could get plus =\ it sickens me when young people disrespect our elder war veterans

sysadmin

I'm not going to touch all of these.

But I will said that I had the chance to take high-speed rail across France a couple weeks ago.
It was awesome.  Going a peak of 200 mph across the country, and covering 450 miles in 3 hours (point to point)
is nifty.  It's like regular rail, but the scenery moves very fast.

If I could hop on a train from my house and go to LA in 2 hours or San Diego in 3 hours, I'd probably go every week.   That's way different from anything Amtrak provides.

Yes, I know Prop 1A is flawed, and there are some other issues.  To all this logic, I counter: It's cool.

So, Prop 1A.  Because it's cool.

K&K4ever

OK, I already voted via absenty, but here is a rundown on what I voted for Prop 8.

Short answer: NO!

Long Answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

ewu

I am kinda amused. I think professing your vote for no on 8 is kinda like preaching to the choir. My gut tells me that the demographic that visit this forum especially this sub-forum is not of the variety that would curtail rights in the name of religion.....yall watch anime:P
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

SOawesomeness

I prefer to say that religions are just guidelines, giving some moral rules as to what you should do. Ultimately, the choice to decide on a deeper level is a personal choice, imo.

Picking and choosing =/= understanding what you really believe that differs from religion.

:0
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook