Going to Fanime con '09 in bad condittions Dx

Started by xOchiix, September 29, 2008, 12:30:32 AM

sklpnda

your "bad" conditions were the same as mine last years. i had 90$ for the whole weekend
I'd Tip My Hat To You, If I Weren't Currently Bare Headed

PyronIkari

Quote from: sklpnda on October 15, 2008, 09:52:15 PM
your "bad" conditions were the same as mine last years. i had 90$ for the whole weekend

I had 600$, I spent, 40.

And that was food. Of course that was after hotel and everything.

Steve.Young

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 15, 2008, 10:14:28 PM

I had 600$, I spent, 40.

I think that was about what I spent for food as well, cause I ate @ la vics a bit, some jack in the box, and lots and lots of costco food that SOS/Rovers have stashed away in a secret location.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Gatsby

I had 600$, I spent, 40.

Hmmm... I think I spent about 20 in food. I brought a bunch of food with me, so I didn't need to spend a lot.

Also, OP you should read the Sample Budget if you haven't already done so.

FanFicGuru

My typical Fanime budget is ~$1000. BUT, I'm paying for 2 rooms. One for my sisters and their friend and then one share for myself. So that's about half of that gone.

Spending wise I have about what Pyron mentioned earlier: 500-600. I never buy DVDs from Fanime except at the swap meet because I can just find such great deals online. I'm not a big manga collector either, so most of my money goes to shirts, figures, wall scrolls and music.

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

RaddaX2

It's real early so you still have time to work around this.  Are you in highschool?  If so then the first thing you should do is find the Anime Club/Video Game Club/ or the"Japanese Culture Club" which is usually just a front for the two aforementioned clubs.  Chances are one of these clubs will be planning to go to Fanime.  If this doesn't help you find friends to go to fanime with then don't give up.

Another thing you can do is get a job.  Most of the jobs available to you are service based, meaning you're required to have face-to-face customer interaction.  This might help you get past being shy.  But if your parent's won't allow you to work then just buy an industrial size bag of candy and start selling over priced pieces of sugar during class or break.  You won't make as much money but you'll still be making strides into being more social.

And if for some reason you failed at making friends with people who have similar interest as you or raising money for your fanime fund then just wait until the forums get more active.  There are other people here just like you.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Mizuki

Kanzake

Quote from: Mizuki on November 06, 2008, 01:23:13 AM
I had 10 dollars, spent 65.

Lol, did you leech off your friends? X3

Gah so many things to buy at fanime, never enough money... but then again im way too indecisive so i dont buy too much because iono what i want more.

<3 my giant piplup x3 XD
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

PyronIkari

You still owe me like 60$ or something like that wwwwwww~

otakuapprentice

for the last three years, my budget has always been around $500(more or less)...and for the last three years, that has worked perfectly.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Mizuki

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 06, 2008, 11:41:35 PM

Lol, yeah. Hopefully my "job" I got can pay that off lol.

Steve.Young

Quote from: Mizuki on November 08, 2008, 12:07:07 AM

So...how much do you make selling your body?
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

MikoChika

Let's see..my budget was 700. That included my share fo the hotel room payment.. payign for the gas to get there ( i live in Arizona) And food..And frankly i still had like.. a hundred and some dollars left.
You'll do fine, just save a few bucks each day.
As for going alone, that's pretty rough, but hey I'm goin' with soem pretty nice people you can hang otu with us if you'd like. just look for a moogle. -noddle-
The mentioned idea of gettign a job is a great way indeed to break you out of that shy shell. I myself was quite a shy person before I had a job. but after being thrown into a work environment and haveing to converse with costumers, i got over it, real quick.
Please, don't feed the moogle.

Mizuki

Quote from: Steve.Young on November 08, 2008, 01:37:51 AM

More than what you can offer :P

Steve.Young

Quote from: Mizuki on November 13, 2008, 12:11:17 AM
Quote from: Steve.Young on November 08, 2008, 01:37:51 AM

More than what you can offer :P

Yea, like that's possible.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

arcadiakat

Quote from: xOchiix on September 29, 2008, 12:41:56 AM
Pretty much true.

But I really don't wanna be bored and wandering around alone. I guess I'll try to muster up some courage and talk to randome people. Haha, thanks for the offer.
I went to the 06 con. went with a few friends but it was all our first time going and i was also shy and got the weird looks. probly didnt help that i wasnt cosplaying, but anyways you just gotta do it try talking to anyone and everyone i made a few friends just by asking to snap a picture of them.
have fabric, will sew. freelace costumer and make-up artist

Steve.Young

Hot females 18+ wanted.

Apply by PM.

k thx bye.

(Essentially what this thread has turned to *Shrugs*)
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

sky-chan

Dude, I had to go to my Fanime all alone for the first day. Thankfully, a lot of people are very friendly, and will talk to you if you look lonely enough. I'm pretty shy, and I was kept very busy by people I didn't even know.  ;D I'm also going in pretty bad conditions... again. I had around $100 my first time, and maybe $50 last time, and everyone kept ditching me for one reason or another, and my phone kept dying... This year, I don't have a phone, so I'll have to stick with someone, or let them know where I will be, and I'll be LUCKY to have $50+, especially with my actually making a costume  this year. However, I'm willing to look out for you and try to say hi/hang out with you, if you want. I'll be going as Rima Tohya from Vampire Knight and even though I'm shy, once I get used  to you, and find out what subjects you like, I'll be like your best (poor) friend! XD;

Also, I know your pain about the parents thing. I have to tolerate my "other" mom (my best friend's mom) every year.

Yunri-Chan

Hi xOchiix! I personally didn't find your forum post selfish at all, I know a lot of people in your condition! I agree with the people who've said that you don't have to be super social in order to have fun at a convention. A lot of threads will start popping up for meet-up's, not only for just random Fanime attendees but for like, people with similar tastes in anime and stuff, so I'm sure you'll be able to find people you like! :3

As for the money, if you plan to stay in a hotel, room with others. Again, the Fanime forums have threads for people searching for roomies. There are plenty of ways you can find people to hang out with before the con; that's, in many ways, what this forum's really for. :]

I had 600$, I spent, 40.

For all of Fanime (four days), I brought $200 & spent about $30, including food. And then around $12 for hotel, since my friend's parents got us a huge suite for a couple nights, which was nice; plus I had a free badge. After going to a lot of cons I've basically gotten what I wanted, and don't really buy much merchandise anymore... but of course, that's just me (& I have super Asian saving skills xDDD). I don't think many people end up having ridiculously low budgets like that, haha.
ℓα ℓαℓ αℓα~
ccs sakura [9O%]
hatsune miku [9O%]
secret! [9O%]
2O1O? ideas pending ~
私は愛する~사랑해 × loveyou ♡
synesthesia C:

Yunri-Chan

aaah double post, please ignore/delete this!~ x_x''
ℓα ℓαℓ αℓα~
ccs sakura [9O%]
hatsune miku [9O%]