Going to Fanime con '09 in bad condittions Dx

Started by xOchiix, September 29, 2008, 12:30:32 AM

Lady_Hoshi

the long line thing is very true.  During my first fanime(99, I'm getting old) I met one of my oldest and dearest friends while waiting for the dance. 

Just go around doing the things you like.  Not sure if it was the same year or 2000 but I made friends with my other oldest and dearest friends in the viewing rooms.  I was trying to find the sailor moon marathon room and somehow ended up at bishonen ai room.  For some reason no one was there other than the staff running it.  We had a blast that night and spent the rest of con hanging out.  The next year I started staffing. 

Fanime can help you start some great friendships.   I meet a lot of people every year that I don't end up friends with.   Just keep trying.  You won't mesh well with everyone but boy is it great when you find one you do.

You only need money for the basics.  Badge, hotel, food and transportation. 
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

roth14

Hey I am in the same situation as you. I had to do the same at last year's Fanime and still had fun. Hint: lines are the best way to meet people to hang out with. Remember you are all here to enjoy anime so just ask about their cosplay or favorite anime. The nice thing is that you already kinda know what they like and that is the same thing as you!:) hoped that helped and sorry if it sounded mean at the end.

Long

I generally go broke and alone as well. So I save money by staffing, and I never really buy anything from the Merchant Hall anymore anyway. I do try to save money by rooming, but that doesn't always work out, but take it when you can get it. And try to room with someone who seems at least mildly non-creepy. And the same people go to Fanime every year, so even though I go alone, I know everyone there anyway. =]

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: xOchiix on September 29, 2008, 12:30:32 AM
Gah! I can't stress enough about this!

I'm going to Fanime Con '09 on bad conditions, and I'd like some tips on how I can still have a blast Dx.

-Going alone [ UGH! DX]
- Limited money

So, what should I do? ;.;
I'm not the most social ever. I tried talking to a few people at the con, but they just sorta looked at me weird and walked away e.e
Should I try being social again?
Oh yeah.. another horrible thing..
My parents won't let me go alone Dx so they're coming with me.
We're gonna stay at the hotels though, the whole con weekend.
So, yeah.

Any tips for still having fun?

Hi, welcome to the wonderful world of FanimeCon and yes, PyronIkari I sure meant well, but as usual for him, has his foot in his mouth again.  It's not necessary to be social to attend FanimeCon; it is quite possible that you have other interests that don't require you to interact with other people around you.  It's the same in the real world too.  However, if you choice to interact with others and you are wondering how to get it started, there are several different methods to do it, one way to meet people is at the registration lines when you are literally surrounded by others that have your same interest, anime.

If you would really like to meet people at FanimeCon, can I suggest volunteering at any one of number of different departments, such as volunteers, or registration or Rovers?  It would allow you to see what it is like behind the scenes and you will get to meet the staff, who would be more than glad to introduce you to their friends. 

While I'm sure that having your parents in tow isn't what you would call the highlight of attending FanimeCon, it does allow you to expose them to what should be considered a fan friendly environment and if it would help, I would be more than glad to have lunch with them on Saturday and talk to them.  There are probably younger than me, yes that means I'm older than they are and yes, I'm a parent too, so maybe I can talk to their concerns and fears.

Again, welcome...
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

zoupzuop2

"What is this 'Yowie' thing our child's friends keep talking about?"
"..."  ;D

All joking aside, there's lots of ways to meet new people at Fanime, and 99% of the time they're very friendly! (I'm including the crowd that's "too friendly"; estimating, the 'healthy'-friendly crowd rounds out to about 95% of Fanime.) In my first day, in line, I was in line with a brother and sister, and I noticed she had some pretty cool keychains on her backpack. Almost an hour later, we were deep in a conversation on the underrated games on the Nintendo 64. Very few people at Fanime have much to hide, if anything.

No matter your money, BUDGET IT. That's all I can say about money.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

RadioactiveKitty

fanime is a big social event XD you'll find a friend if and possibly bump into friends there... i have myself bumped into friends there where im all "wait >.< i know you" lol

Jerry

Quote from: Steve.Young on November 13, 2008, 11:51:13 PM
Hot females 18+ wanted.

Apply by PM.

k thx bye.

(Essentially what this thread has turned to *Shrugs*)

thanks Steve, way to make the ladies feel safe. and here you call yourself the Rover's 2nd.  :P

Ironically, I'll probably be around, just like Steve @ the Registration lines. I'm not hard to miss.
I find it semi ironic that about 5+ girl posted that they go to Fanime on a solo adventure when I usually picture the shy nerdy and socially akward fanboy wandering the halls of the convention concourse.

Conversations and ice breakers are REALLY easy at the Con, just find someone with similar interests and say, "hey are you into _insert cool anime here_ " or ask them about where or how they go their anime gear and/or cosplay...

or heck, just random talk to myself [The Jerry] Steve or anyone of the random Black suit Rovers you'll be seeing around the Con.

Get on staff, make new friends, and have more than just anime/cosplay to be ur 'fun' reasons to be at Con.

I so use to random encounters, its just like your standard RPG, the more random encounters you have, They better the experience you get.  :D

That and who says you need to be in a group/party to have fun. If you solo thats okay to.

If you wanna make new friends, We're all nerds, fanboys/girls and dorks all around.
Trust me there will be possible over 15,000+ fans all at the SJCC all at once.

if you miss me, you could make friends with other 14,999+ of them ;D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Jerry on February 27, 2009, 09:17:26 AM
Quote from: Steve.Young on November 13, 2008, 11:51:13 PM
Hot females 18+ wanted.

Apply by PM.

k thx bye.

(Essentially what this thread has turned to *Shrugs*)

thanks Steve, way to make the ladies feel safe. and here you call yourself the Rover's 2nd.  :P

Ironically, I'll probably be around, just like Steve @ the Registration lines. I'm not hard to miss.
I find it semi ironic that about 5+ girl posted that they go to Fanime on a solo adventure when I usually picture the shy nerdy and socially akward fanboy wandering the halls of the convention concourse.

Conversations and ice breakers are REALLY easy at the Con, just find someone with similar interests and say, "hey are you into _insert cool anime here_ " or ask them about where or how they go their anime gear and/or cosplay...

or heck, just random talk to myself [The Jerry] Steve or anyone of the random Black suit Rovers you'll be seeing around the Con.

Get on staff, make new friends, and have more than just anime/cosplay to be ur 'fun' reasons to be at Con.

I so use to random encounters, its just like your standard RPG, the more random encounters you have, They better the experience you get.  :D

That and who says you need to be in a group/party to have fun. If you solo thats okay to.

If you wanna make new friends, We're all nerds, fanboys/girls and dorks all around.
Trust me there will be possible over 15,000+ fans all at the SJCC all at once.

if you miss me, you could make friends with other 14,999+ of them ;D

hehe...random encounters.

I guess I should do some power leveling...I've been avoiding these encounters for the last few years... >_>
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015