Clean Up

Started by XpHoBiaX, September 30, 2008, 07:50:31 PM

XpHoBiaX

I am cleaning up this section.
Starting from the back forward (Now that I figured out how things work, it's a little different from a few other boards I am on)

I consider this a headsup. Just trimming stuff down that no one even looks at anymore. Like posts from 2003. O.o

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Chun

Question: How far is this "cleaning" going, and why do we need to clean/purge the old threads?

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Chun on September 30, 2008, 08:12:25 PM
Question: How far is this "cleaning" going, and why do we need to clean/purge the old threads?

~Chun
i think there's an easy answer for that: helps the servers.

plus, old threads from 2003 haven't been active since.......2003.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

XpHoBiaX

I was going to say that >:/ Curse my slow internets.

2010 cosplay...?

Tsubasa

Allow me to voice a dissenting view: I'm personally a fan of keeping old threads for the sake of history.  As much as they are not viewed anymore, there are times when I want to refer to something from a few years back.

I would prefer that threads stay unless it really is a server load issue.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Tsubasa on September 30, 2008, 08:31:50 PM
Allow me to voice a dissenting view: I'm personally a fan of keeping old threads for the sake of history.  As much as they are not viewed anymore, there are times when I want to refer to something from a few years back.

how far back are you thinkin'?

still, there is a good chunk of old threads that no longer have any importance/relevance, which could easily qualify for removal.

sysadmin

With respect to the forums, I'm actually in favor of cleaning up the older stuff.

You are more than welcome to archive the threads to your own storage.

That said, truly epic threads can be nominated to the Hall of Fame still.  But only epic ones.

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: otakuapprentice on September 30, 2008, 08:35:48 PM
still, there is a good chunk of old threads that no longer have any importance/relevance, which could easily qualify for removal.

That is what I am going for. I do look through the posts before deleting them. If you want to go through all 95 pages and tell me what to keep, go for it.

So far I have seen 10+ of the same posts.  

I will be keeping threads with posts from gatherings. As those I find 'memorable'.

2010 cosplay...?

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: sysadmin on September 30, 2008, 08:37:50 PM
With respect to the forums, I'm actually in favor of cleaning up the older stuff.

You are more than welcome to archive the threads to your own storage.

That said, truly epic threads can be nominated to the Hall of Fame still.  But only epic ones.

I'll probably archive the forums with gatherings and their pictures. Sorry, my interntets is slow and by the time I post someone else already has.  X3

2010 cosplay...?

otakuapprentice

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on September 30, 2008, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on September 30, 2008, 08:35:48 PM

That is what I am going for. I do look through the posts before deleting them. If you want to go through all 95 pages and tell me what to keep, go for it.

So far I have seen 10+ of the same posts.  

I will be keeping threads with posts from gatherings. As those I find 'memorable'.
OR.....i could go through all 95 pages and pick ones to give the good ol' boot in the arse.

but not tonight; this is more of a 'kill a weekend' thing.

XpHoBiaX

My weekends are Mondays, Tuesdays, and sometimes Wednesdays.
(or if the shop is closed)

I'll be working on locking and cleaning up threads whenever I am online. There's 94 pages left. If you want me to spare any threads, YOU will have to find it and tell me not to delete it! I will not go hunting for you. Links to the post would be nice.

2010 cosplay...?

Chun

This is essentially why I inquired about length of removal and criteria in the first place. I read the archive data every other week.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Chun on September 30, 2008, 11:10:57 PM

This is essentially why I inquired about length of removal and criteria in the first place. I read the archive data every other week.

~Chun

Well, If you have any posts you would like me to keep, let me know.
My main focus is dumping threads that really have no memorable value. I just don't randomly click delete/remove on posts.
I look to see if there are vids, pictures, gatherings, significant LOL stories related to fanime and the people involved on this board.

Many topics are repeated incessantly, and really do not need to stay. For sale threads, for example, do not need to stay. Talking about the weather being hot or fireworks being banned. Do not need to stay. This is always repeated.

I want to collect things of value to archive.

2010 cosplay...?

mDuo13

To some extent, it is possible to tell which old threads are not worth keeping. But you never really know what you needed until you've gotten rid of it. Especially for threads that ancient - if you weren't one of the principal posters involved in a thread when someone was selling something, for example (and who among us could be, if it was from 2002? Not many), you might not notice some interesting feature about what was being sold or who was selling it. It may seem like a fringe case, but the fact that the threads are so old is precisely why they're so valuable - because the provide insight into how individuals and the board culture have changed over the course of the past 5 years.

I mean, to what extent is the server load actually an issue? Because it seems like leaving lots of posts on the board should be relatively harmless - databases are designed to allow quick access to a lot of posts, and a bunch of text entries can't take up a significant amount of space compared with the way storage is these days. One megabyte per day (that's over one thousand posts at one thousand bytes each) for the last 5 years is not even two gigs of data.

XpHoBiaX

I appreciate your insights, and respect your concerns. But as I mentione several times, If you want something specific to be saved let me know.
You're all acting like I am going to delete everthing. Get a grip. I am tired of repeating myself.

You want me to save a specific post REQUEST THAT IT BE SAVED. Nominate a thread to be sent into the HALL OF FAME or the HALL OF SHAME.

It's not that hard to do it. Sheesh. It's a very simple concept. That and we're asking YOU, the entire populace of this forum, to give us posts and links that you think should be saved. I have only seen 1 or 2 people actually DO that.

Yeah, it's work. BUT if you want to make a huge ordeal about it in this thread, at least make an effort to look through a few posts that you believe are significant. Post the link, and I'll go over it with Scott. There's more of a chance that the thread will be given a chance to stay. Even given a shot at the Hall of Fame.

I make an effort to read through the posts before I dump them.

Don't throw a fit if you haven't shown any effort at all to do even that.

I also stated that the ones I will be saving will be archived. 

2010 cosplay...?

Devereaux

Delete that shit son.
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

XpHoBiaX

2010 cosplay...?

Devereaux

I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

XpHoBiaX

;D No lies, just a bunch of secrets.

D:Gimme back my icon you butt!

2010 cosplay...?

rude32

ooooo, look like someone has a twin. And it also looks like someone else had their sig jacked.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer