[tales of] VESPERIA.

Started by Dominium, September 30, 2008, 09:04:37 PM

Dominium

This is actually an inquiring thread.
Has anyone here played it?
(It's for the Xbox 360, if anyone asks.)

I wanted to get some honest opinions about the game.
Did you like it? Was it fun?
Or is it basically like a majority of the 'Tales' games?

One of my favorite parts of 'Tales' games is the battle system.
How awesome are the characters?
Is the storyline pretty much the same as most RPG-love-love-kiss games?

I've recently been playing Radiant Mythology for the PSP (Tales of the World).
It's mostly because of this game that I'm so interested in a lot of the 'Tales' games now.
I am considering getting Vesperia, and just the artwork & screenshots has me ready to get it.

I'll get it despite anyone's opinion, but what are some of the things you like/dislike about this game?
abnormally attracted to sin.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I played the DEMO.

There is a dog with a pipe, and I also believe a eyepatch.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Dominium

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on September 30, 2008, 09:24:36 PM
I played the DEMO.

There is a dog with a pipe, and I also believe a eyepatch.

... AWESOME. xD

PyronIkari

You would think people on the Fanime forums would play Vesperia.

Vesperia so far is probably on my top 3 of the tales games. I've played all of them to date, Phantasia PSX remake being #1, Symphonia 2, Vesperia 3. I haven't beaten it mind you, so it may change.

The battle system in Vesperia is similar to that of Symphonia/Abyss'. 3D based, over the 2d platform(I honestly prefer the 2D but they did well with the 3D version). It doesn't suffer from the same retarded AI that Abyss had thankfully. Your partners don't die in 10 seconds if you play on hard mode, and are smart enough to run around and kite enemies when they are weak(granted you have a strat set to let them do so). There's a major change in that, you can do huge ass combos. I mean, HUGE combos just by yourself. The way they set up skills is that there is a way to chain skills more than just lvl1 -> lvl2 ->lvl3. They put a lot more detailing into the kind of hits each skill does and how it sets up different attackis. I.E. In earlier Tales your basic combo was neutral hit, then whatever hit was two hits(usually down or neutral) then either down or neutral again then lvl1 special -> lvl2 -> lvl3. Now combos are capable of doing... neutral x3 Lvl1 skill that launches, while falling attack Lvl2 special in the air that brings you down, 2 hit juggle into a different level 2 special that brings them to the ground , 3 more hits while floating them, into level 3 special that pushes them back.

To be honest though, it's hard as hell to do something like that, but it's possible. The new limit break system is much better as well. The chaining of moves infinitely is done a lot better.

The story is interesting. I like this run of characters more than any game. A protagonist, that is not a wuss, a total asshole, but still right minded is great for a change. None of this "I AM A GOOD GUY!" crap.

There is a flaw so far in the dungeons, in that, they're pretty crappy. The designs of the dungeons so far have been poorly done, overly simplistic and just boring.

The bonus cutscenes are nothing special, not as good as Abyss' but a better than Symphonia's(I'm a little bias with Abyss though, Momoi is cheating).

Like the others, no dual audio. Some of the voices are pretty bad, others are actually really good.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on September 30, 2008, 09:45:22 PM

When I get money, when I get money...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

mDuo13

I'm like 7 hours into the game (playing with 3 suitemates... very slowly). It's good so far. Very similar to Symphonia (and presumably Abyss). Estelle is adorable. Dual audio would have been nice, but it's bearable as it is.

Dominium

Quote from: PyronIkari on September 30, 2008, 09:45:22 PM

Vesperia so far is probably on my top 3 of the tales games. I've played all of them to date, Phantasia PSX remake being #1, Symphonia 2, Vesperia 3. I haven't beaten it mind you, so it may change.

The battle system in Vesperia is similar to that of Symphonia/Abyss'. 3D based, over the 2d platform(I honestly prefer the 2D but they did well with the 3D version). It doesn't suffer from the same retarded AI that Abyss had thankfully. Your partners don't die in 10 seconds if you play on hard mode, and are smart enough to run around and kite enemies when they are weak(granted you have a strat set to let them do so). There's a major change in that, you can do huge ass combos. I mean, HUGE combos just by yourself. The way they set up skills is that there is a way to chain skills more than just lvl1 -> lvl2 ->lvl3. They put a lot more detailing into the kind of hits each skill does and how it sets up different attackis. I.E. In earlier Tales your basic combo was neutral hit, then whatever hit was two hits(usually down or neutral) then either down or neutral again then lvl1 special -> lvl2 -> lvl3. Now combos are capable of doing... neutral x3 Lvl1 skill that launches, while falling attack Lvl2 special in the air that brings you down, 2 hit juggle into a different level 2 special that brings them to the ground , 3 more hits while floating them, into level 3 special that pushes them back.

To be honest though, it's hard as hell to do something like that, but it's possible. The new limit break system is much better as well. The chaining of moves infinitely is done a lot better.

The story is interesting. I like this run of characters more than any game. A protagonist, that is not a wuss, a total asshole, but still right minded is great for a change. None of this "I AM A GOOD GUY!" crap.

There is a flaw so far in the dungeons, in that, they're pretty crappy. The designs of the dungeons so far have been poorly done, overly simplistic and just boring.

The bonus cutscenes are nothing special, not as good as Abyss' but a better than Symphonia's(I'm a little bias with Abyss though, Momoi is cheating).

Like the others, no dual audio. Some of the voices are pretty bad, others are actually really good.

Thanks so much!
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
It's kinda lame about the dungeons, but I've played a lot of pretty redundant dungeons in games before, so I think it won't be too big of a problem. : )
Thanks again. <3

Devereaux

I'm having four scrubs play this game for me and then I'm going to have them give me a summary when they beat it.

Yes, you four are all scrubs and Scrub #3 is the worst of them all.
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Devereaux on October 06, 2008, 03:36:13 AM
I'm having four scrubs play this game for me and then I'm going to have them give me a summary when they beat it.

You know, I'm surprised the mods haven't picked up on you being a troll yet.

mDuo13

Quote from: PyronIkari on October 06, 2008, 03:11:02 PM

Aww, just admit you wish you were one of the "scrubs" Dev's talking about it.

Devereaux

Quote from: mDuo13 on October 06, 2008, 03:49:02 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on October 06, 2008, 03:11:02 PM

Aww, just admit you wish you were one of the "scrubs" Dev's talking about it.

That could be true, man I would feel pretty bad for the other three scrubs though if that came to pass...
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

JohnnyAR

The 360 eh? I gotta try this game. I love rpg games, its just that I haven't been finding anything that seems interesting enough for me, but hearing it from you guys I really wanna play it!

LastElixir

Quote from: Devereaux on October 06, 2008, 10:31:42 PM
That could be true, man I would feel pretty bad for the other three scrubs though if that came to pass...

i rather kill myself.

j