Best place to stay in '09?

Started by xOchiix, October 01, 2008, 06:02:29 PM

xOchiix

Well, I've been viewing some of the hotels.
And I need recommendations.

Which hotel would you suggest would be the best to stay at for Fanime Con '09?
Most affordable?
What are its pro's and con's?
Does it offer free parking?

Thanks ^^

otakuapprentice

both the Marriott and the Hilton are each directly connected to the convention center, and they each should have the same rates for fanime room pricing, IIRC.

Only things that I believe separates them both in terms of pros or cons, is that rooms in the Hilton have mini-fridges in all of them, whereas the Marriott you have to request one when you are getting your room.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Mister_E

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

KyraEnsui

I've been staying at the Hilton and it's great. Pros and cons just depends on everyone's stay from previous years. Marriott's elevators are quite notorious for long waits though, but that's where most of videos are held and closer to few other panels across from it. As for free parking, I remember across the street has it, but I wouldn't put like valuables in the car since they're not responsible for it. I know there's another one, but I can't remember where it is again.

=D Since the Hilton is renovating, I can't wait to see it. That's where I'm staying every Fanime.

G.I.R

Quote from: otakuapprentice on October 01, 2008, 07:21:13 PM
Only things that I believe separates them both in terms of pros or cons, is that rooms in the Hilton have mini-fridges in all of them, whereas the Marriott you have to request one when you are getting your room.
Hilton has Mini fridge?
I stayed there in '06 and I didn't have one.
One big plus I'll have to give the Hilton was optinal self parking (which was also cheaper).

Raymei

I stayed at the Fairmont.

REAL "hoity-toity" feel to it.  We had a few issues (like our smoke alarm going off because it hadn't been cleaned in forever? what was that?), we had a mini-fridge but it was stocked with stuff you had to pay for.  We thought of taking it out and using the fridge with our own food/drinks but it was activated magnetically  (so if we took something out, we basically just bought it...T.T)

I definitely want to try a connected hotel this time around (especially since my brother and I are going to have a table, so lugging that stuff back and forth I'm sure would be a pain).

So far the Hilton seems to have the best reviews by fellow con-goers.  :)
Just gotta wait and see what the price differences are between the set once that is up on the site.

Gatsby

I personally like staying at a connected hotel because you're RIGHT there. If you get tired or you bought something big you don't have to trek a few blocks away. Some hotels that aren't connected ARE right across the street though so it's really up to personal choice. I stayed at the Marriott last year and it was nice, but the waits.... oh goth the waits were horrid especially on check out on Monday. >_<

Pimpstress Rei

This isn't written in stone, but because of the Hilton renovations as well as the increase in Fanime staff, there is a possibility that the Hilton will not be open to members. Please keep this in mind when you're looking at hotels and start to plan your trip.

We will keep you updated with the list of hotels that will have the special Fanime rates as well.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

otakuapprentice

Quote from: G.I.R on October 02, 2008, 07:33:04 AM
Quote from: otakuapprentice on October 01, 2008, 07:21:13 PM
Hilton has Mini fridge?
I stayed there in '06 and I didn't have one.
One big plus I'll have to give the Hilton was optinal self parking (which was also cheaper).
well, for the last three years of staying at the Hilton, the rooms I have been in have all had mini-fridges.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Raymei

Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on October 02, 2008, 07:46:17 PM
We will keep you updated with the list of hotels that will have the special Fanime rates as well.

How soon do the hotel registrations get posted on the site?
I'm not asking for it to hurry, I just want to know when to start looking for it so I can have as many options available to me as there are.  (last year the only hotel that had room for the whole weekend was the Fairemont, we may/may not want to try a different one this year).

I have a great feeling about next year's con  :)

Shi_Musouka

Parking-wise, most of them charge a few bucks per day with in-and-out privileges included. Something I noticed with the prices was that the further away the hotel was to the convention center, the cheaper their rates were, so that's something to think about.

Just something I wanted to point out. lol.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: Raymei on October 03, 2008, 02:17:57 PM

I'm not asking for it to hurry, I just want to know when to start looking for it so I can have as many options available to me as there are.  (last year the only hotel that had room for the whole weekend was the Fairemont, we may/may not want to try a different one this year).

They usually have it up before the end of the year like around mid-December. So, that gives a good couple months to book it. But like they say every year, it's best to book as soon it's up because like last year, most of it were full before May.

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: Raymei on October 03, 2008, 02:17:57 PM

The official answer is "TBA". =)

I hope you enjoy the con! It'll be the first year that we're really in charge! Woah!
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O

heeroyuy135

I like the Marriot for the half-off valet parking and free internet, especially for someone like me who keeps a FanimeCon blog. Yeah, the elevators can be bad at times, but I wasn't complaining when I stayed on the 4th floor. The hotel is also closer to all the food venues, and when the valet service has in-and-out privileges I can spend less time traveling to get food and more time at the con.

FanFicGuru

This isn't written in stone, but because of the Hilton renovations as well as the increase in Fanime staff, there is a possibility that the Hilton will not be open to members. Please keep this in mind when you're looking at hotels and start to plan your trip.

Hmm, that would be unfortunate. I enjoyed my stay at the Hilton last year, and I know those renovations would pretty much address all of the minor complaints I had about my room last year.

Could you clarify what you mean by "It'll be the first year that we're really in charge! Woah!" ?

I thought you guys were always in charge? lol.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Evelle

This would make me very unhappy.

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: FanFicGuru on October 04, 2008, 05:31:49 PM

Could you clarify what you mean by "It'll be the first year that we're really in charge! Woah!" ?

In my previous years as staff, I've always been a Department Manager or Assistant Division Director. This is my first year as Vice-Chair and Tony's first year as Convention Chair.

It's a whole new animal than what we've done before. We're in charge of everything that happens at Fanime. It's a huge responsibility we're not taking lightly.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O

Steve.Young

Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on October 04, 2008, 11:07:09 PM

In my previous years as staff, I've always been a Department Manager or Assistant Division Director. This is my first year as Vice-Chair and Tony's first year as Convention Chair.

It's a whole new animal than what we've done before. We're in charge of everything that happens at Fanime. It's a huge responsibility we're not taking lightly.

Yes...fear for me.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Steve.Young on October 05, 2008, 12:25:04 AM

Yes...fear for me.

ph33r.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Pimpstress Rei

Quote from: Steve.Young on October 05, 2008, 12:25:04 AM

Yes...fear for me.

And you have good cause to be afraid! Raawwrrr...
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Con Mom forever o.O