Fanime 09 Artist Alley?!

Started by iAnimePHr34k, October 05, 2008, 12:35:35 PM

iAnimePHr34k

I lost the game.
AND!
if I have a relative that got an industry badge and he gave me one, would I still be eligible to sign up for Artist Alley with THAT badge?
It technically should be a full wekend badge right?
And...is it true that there really is no more tables for '09?
I know it's a rumor, but it makes me uneasy because I REALLY like to plan ahead for these things and knowing these things sooner is the best, right?
Sorry if I'm sounding irritating or anything, I'm just a bit paranoid.

Nyxyin

Quote from: iAnimePHr34k on October 05, 2008, 12:35:35 PM
And...is it true that there really is no more tables for '09?
The last time someone asked, the thread was locked.  I get the strong impression that even Fanime itself doesn't know.  It's rather early.  I can easily believe that the artist room has sold as many tables this year as last year.  However, I was talking to a few people, and they were saying Fanime can reconfigure the room to put the martial arts demos and stuff somewhere else, which means that there might be more tables.  I think Fanime doesn't want to answer because they haven't gone through and reconsidered the floor plan yet, so I don't think they know yet whether Artist Alley is sold out or not.

Raymei

At least this one didn't sound rude.

They're not even sure about the set up yet, so they're probably not sure how many tables they're going to be able to have total  (not to mention quite a bit of people bought tables at the '08 con -- thankfully, like me  lol)
If that amount exceeds what they're able to fit in last year's room, I'm sure they're going to try their best to fit most of the requests they have.  I have a HUGE event (and really, series of events) to plan for thousands of people  @.@  and more and more sign up each year, they have a lot to plan for!

Give them some room and some time  :)   
When they know, they'll let us know.

iAnimePHr34k

Thanks for the replies you two!
I'll try to calm down.

ewu

Quote from: ewu link=topic=10690.msg281857.html#msg281857 date=1222728085
The artist alley staff or I would be the best to contact. Unfortunately, we can't give you an answer as of yet. We will be meeting in the next few weeks, once my personal obligation clears up and I may address this matter with the AA staff.

Stay tuned!

I was rude?? O:-)

Like I said, I need to meet with my staff to discuss AA. There is plenty of time, so stay tuned....Our full 2009 website isn't even up:P It will prob be posted on the website main page, prob our '09 LJ, and maybe even on the forums.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Raymei

No, I don't think you're the one that posted the other one I read.  They were really demanding.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Raymei

Yeah, that mproject one or something.  That second thread specifically.

iAnimePHr34k

Mm...><
I just really wanted to know because...I like knowing things. xDDD
And I really planned on debuting in my first artist alley booth ever. ^__^;
So thanks for the replies but I still had one more question to ask..
If I get an industry badge, does it still qualify to Artist Alley qualifications for the badge?

ewu

If I recall correctly you need a membership to be an artist with the AA, but I'm not too sure of it. The only sure exception is if you are with Fanime's Artist Pool.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Raymei

I think you need a weekend badge and a seller's license.  I'm pretty sure that's it, but this'll be my first year so don't quote me on that  XD

mprojekt

Quote from: Raymei on October 06, 2008, 09:38:16 PM
No, I don't think you're the one that posted the other one I read.  They were really demanding.

I'll concede that my original post was very demanding and a bit rude.  I apologize to Fanime staff if they were offended.

So why do I seem a bit pissy? I'll use the Fanime 2008 weapons policy to help explain why I am so concerned.

Some veterans on the forums said that the 2007 rules were a good guideline but that I should send email requests in addition to my question on the forum.

I sent emails, I saw other people post the same questions, we waited and waited...

The Fanime 2008 weapons policy wasn't posted until the very end of April. I had followed the 2007 policy and didn't bother preparing a fake rifle to go with my FMA costume as a result. When I finally saw the 2008 policy, I didn't have enough time to get ready - April 29 to May 23 only seems like a lot of time if your schedule isn't already eaten up by work and not-anime-life.

I guess I could have gotten the rifle ready during the months before the con, even if it turned out the 2008 policy didn't allow my prop but I wanted to be SURE that I was within policy for my first time cosplaying at Fanime.

During the con, we clearly saw at least one mini-gun, an AT-4 anti-tank rocket launcher, hammers, a couple of handguns, daggers, and giant swords.

Ugh.

So here we are with Fanime 2009 months away. Like some other folks, I have started preparing for AA and cosplay now because I don't have a lot of free time outside of work and daily life to sacrifice in a mad scramble a few weeks prior to the convention.

Some of you do have that free time - maybe a lot, maybe only a few - but I don't and my professional and life obligations won't allow it. If I (and everyone else like me) can find out what we need to know about Artist Alley issues and con policies ASAP, that would be great.
"Live with a man forty years. Share his house, his meals, speak on every subject, then tie him up, and hold him over the volcano's edge, and on that day, you will finally meet the man."

Raymei

Well, I just don't think you've considered all that goes into something like this.

This isn't just some huge building that's been rented out and we can do what we want in, the Fanime staff have to get their restrictions and regulations from the hotels and city as well.
They have to organize an event throughout several buildings (getting us deals through the hotels, making sure we have another building for the balls/concerts), that requires SO much paperwork and having to get stuff like licenses and making sure that the San Jose Downtown knows there will be some traffic congestion as well (with the hordes of people going back and forth).

Each year there are changes, and not just on their part.
Like this year, for example, already the Hilton hotel (a popular stay for many veteran Fanime goers), is going to be under some renovations.  Because of this, the Hilton may not offer any deals through Fanime this year.  This means that the Fanime staff either has to either get more out of the other hotels, find a new hotel close by that would like to offer a deal, or.....and hopefully this is a FAR possibility....restrict badges this year.  @.@;;;

With the weapons policy, those rules are CONSTANTLY changing in our times (what with the "T" word and the war) so they probably weren't finalized or sure until the very end like that.
With something like the Artist Alley tables, they may be in another room this year and a great deal more people reserved tables at the con last year as well.  They've got a LOT to figure out and plan for and I'm sure they don't even have all the volunteers they need yet.

I'm not condemning you for your behavior earlier, I'm just hoping to shed some light on the situation so you might be more sympathetic to those working so hard for us all.

ewu

Yup, I understand! and just like you, the staff have many other obligations in their lives too. Its actually the experience from such obligations that make them such awesome staff members. And while necessarily balancing our lives, we all work as quickly as humanly possible to address your concerns.

(shameless poke at some other con....) Now, if we got paid....it may just be another story:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Quote from: ewu on October 08, 2008, 06:30:17 PM
Yup, I understand! and just like you, the staff have many other obligations in their lives too. Its actually the experience from such obligations that make them such awesome staff members. And while necessarily balancing our lives, we all work as quickly as humanly possible to address your concerns.

(shameless poke at some other con....) Now, if we got paid....it may just be another story:)

Wait other people @ other cons get paid? WHAT THE HECK!?

And the 2008 weapons policy was up a few months before May...but I guess maybe the people who do the website let the ball drop a little and posted it up late. Cause I know SOS/Rovers had it A LONG time before May. If anything, you can always PM me on the forums and once we have one written up, I'll send you the file.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

jAded

Quote from: Raymei on October 08, 2008, 08:17:55 AM
I think you need a weekend badge and a seller's license.  I'm pretty sure that's it, but this'll be my first year so don't quote me on that  XD

To sell at any con in California, you need to buy the full weekend pass and have a CA sellers permit that you should get at least two weeks in advance. As for tables, it is highly unlikely that the tables are sold out since there has been no post of any form of table sign ups. The only tables that are taken are the ones that were pre-registered at last year's convention. And judging from last year's alley, if it's going to be in the same place, there were A LOT of tables that were empty, people signed up and never showed up, a lot of people got moved around, etc. So, my best advice is to not jump the gun and wait until there is an official announcement with regards to the AA tables since, at the moment, only regular pre-reg is even up and running.

I hope that alleviates some of panic about the tables, I know I panicked last year. As long as you keep checking the forums/website for updates and you are ready to register when the alloted times are open, you should be fine.

Cole

Quote from: jAded on November 10, 2008, 12:20:30 PM
Quote from: Raymei on October 08, 2008, 08:17:55 AM

To sell at any con in California, you need to buy the full weekend pass and have a CA sellers permit that you should get at least two weeks in advance. As for tables, it is highly unlikely that the tables are sold out since there has been no post of any form of table sign ups. The only tables that are taken are the ones that were pre-registered at last year's convention. And judging from last year's alley, if it's going to be in the same place, there were A LOT of tables that were empty, people signed up and never showed up, a lot of people got moved around, etc. So, my best advice is to not jump the gun and wait until there is an official announcement with regards to the AA tables since, at the moment, only regular pre-reg is even up and running.

I hope that alleviates some of panic about the tables, I know I panicked last year. As long as you keep checking the forums/website for updates and you are ready to register when the alloted times are open, you should be fine.

The people who didn't show up really sucked last year.  A friend and I were left with an empty table on either side and almost no traffic (even though we were only about 5 tables away from the Snafu booth).
The biggest problem last year though was that we had asked to be placed with some of our other friends...and when we got there we weren't even on the table assignment list.  We had to come back 2 hours later to get assigned a table in the far corner. =\

Is there any way to prevent that from happening again?  We really don't want to be separated from our friends again; its not fun at all.  :-\

Sneath

Me and a friend are hoping to be in the artist alley for the first time. She wants to sell prints, but both of us make jewelery, which is what I plan on selling.
So, is there a guideline for things to sell in general? does it have to be anime related, or a drawing of some sort?
I think its fine, but I'd rather make sure.

ewu

Quote from: Sneath on November 19, 2008, 04:14:09 PM
Me and a friend are hoping to be in the artist alley for the first time. She wants to sell prints, but both of us make jewelery, which is what I plan on selling.
So, is there a guideline for things to sell in general? does it have to be anime related, or a drawing of some sort?
I think its fine, but I'd rather make sure.

I think anything not mass produced, i.e. can't be produced @ con, is cool.

This is the LJ from 2008: http://community.livejournal.com/fanimeaa2008

Hope it helps.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Sneath

cool, thanks for the help.
the livejournal mentions it a bit, but If me and my friend were to both be at the same table, are there any issues with having 2 chairs? I was on another cons site and they mentioned a table coming with 2 chairs, while a half table would only come with one. which got me thinking of allowable #s of chairs and stuff like that.
I think thats it... i have questions about seller's permits, I just dont know how to word them yet.