Sample Budget (For People who are trying to figure it out) Version 3.0!

Started by FanFicGuru, October 05, 2008, 07:54:58 PM

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on November 16, 2008, 12:13:39 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just pay for the room completely upfront? It makes more sense to me. then again I come from an economic philosophy of But what you are buying, for the entire price upfront, in cash. Rather than taking out a loan and all that other crap and spending years paying on said item, and most of all I hate owing people money.

You do pay for the room completely upfront. One person will obviously be putting the room charge on his/her card, and they do charge the full weekend's amount when you check in. The divided numbers is just each person's individual SHARE of the room, that they can pay to the cardholder in cash for their spot in the room.

That's what I meant, so...sorry if it was confusing.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: FanFicGuru on November 16, 2008, 11:29:49 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just pay for the room completely upfront? It makes more sense to me. then again I come from an economic philosophy of But what you are buying, for the entire price upfront, in cash. Rather than taking out a loan and all that other crap and spending years paying on said item, and most of all I hate owing people money.

You do pay for the room completely upfront. One person will obviously be putting the room charge on his/her card, and they do charge the full weekend's amount when you check in. The divided numbers is just each person's individual SHARE of the room, that they can pay to the cardholder in cash for their spot in the room.

And now I'm not so confused. Thanks.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on November 16, 2008, 11:57:22 AM

And now I'm not so confused. Thanks.

No problem. ^_^
Swap meet staff - 2014

BSaphire

Great thread! Thought I'd post a few of the ways My group plans our outings for conventions.

1. Hotel = four to a room divide cost by four. Now if the cost is more than $110 per person then I will pick up the difference on my card, but I ask them to contribute food to the room for everyone so purchase an 8 or 10 pack of something.

CHECK on Parking Fees!
If you are carpooling with someone then pay for parking one night. Also see gas (3) below.

2. Food for Room = Available items in the room cover high carb breakfast foods that are easy to make or eat, and simple lunch foods along with snack items. I also have a hot water kettle that I bring to con so that we have boiling water (coffee pots don't get that hot)

Breakfast items:
go yogurt tubes or small containers
boxed/canned fruit juice
granola bars
breakfast bars
cereal in small boxes
instant oatmeal
coffee
tea
other items fall in snack foods

Lunch items:
1lb package lunch meat (freeze this ahead of time for lunch on the 2nd day put in a zip lock bag and store under top layer of ice)
Salami (sliced is preferred, but store in a separate zip lock bag and under top layer of ice)
loaf of bread (100% whole wheat bread that isn't enriched)
mayo (store towards middle of ice chest and have extra zip lock bag for the knife to be stored in)
mustard (store on side of ice chest)
sliced cheeses - pepper jack, provalone, colby (put these in a zip lock bag and store on top of ice so they stay dry but cold)
one case of cup of noodles
zip lock bag of pre cut veggies like carrots & celery
other items fall in snack foods

Snack foods & drinks:
fruit should be convenient so fruit like: grapes, bananas, apples, oranges however if you would like to do melon or pineapple just make sure it is already cut up and in a secure container for the ice chest.
assorted chips
olives
dip for chips &/or veggies
flavored crackers
cookies
case of bottled water (24) and a box or two of those water flavor packages for those who want something more flavored
2 - 4 packs of sodas I recommend the smaller cans so there is less waste and they don't take up as much room in the ice chest. Don't put them all in the ice chest just put 2-4 of each type at the bottom of the ice chest along with 6-8 waters and juice.

If you share a room with women I would highly recommend CHOCOLATE!!! ^^P  there hasn't been a con yet where the craving for chocolate hasn't hit at least one female in the group... ok it has been me and I am partial to dark chocolate and raspberries ^^)

By covering breakfast and lunch in the room that leaves more money for a nice dinner out! Grab some friends and go try a local restaurant.

3. If you are riding with someone share the gas expense to and/or from con. I have put my gas portion into food, or beverage, or dinner so this may be an option for some.

4. ALWAYS HAVE MONEY FOR STARBUCKS! If you have time in advance buy a Starbucks card! ^^)

5. No matter how much money you save up to buy stuff during con... always figure it was never enough! With that said ^^P plan accordingly.

Can't think of anything right now... but I'm sure I'll come back to this at some point.

Squidges
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Jail Bait

If we paid in advance (months before the con) do we need to pay a deposit when we get there? My friend paid for our hotel and she did it already with her credit card...so do we need to bring a deposit?

My friends and I were able to spend a total of 0 dollars on food! Well, at the con. We brought food from costco that we kept in a cooler or on the table. Nothing needs to be cooked! We brought;

Beef jerky-like 20 packs
Noodles-a whole case both cup and bagged ramen, either dry or with hot water from coffee pot.
dry cereal-lucky charms FTW!
Snack bars-2-3 cases!
Gummy snacks-for candy cravings, not much
Panda Snacks/Pocky-candy cravings, lots!
Ritz chips/crackers
Fruit-apples, pears, bananas, cherries and lemons are what we had!
Candy bars- candy cravings are strong at fanime for some reason...
fruit roll-ups-not a lot, but they taste good...
individually wrapped pastries-debbie bars, ding-dongs, ho-ho's, twinkies,
Lunchables-not all need refrigeration, please check labels and don't sue me if you pick the wrong kind!!
Breads/baked goods-most can be eaten room-temp!
Muffins/Bagels-yum....breakfast all week!
Chips-cheap, filling, 5 bags kept up happy for 5 days!
Corn nuts/nuts in general-protein so you don't pass-out/get sick like Terra did last year.
Donuts
Cookies
Party Mixes
Bread with pb+j or some other room-temp safe spread.

That's what I survived on the weekend!

PLEASE READ THIS THOUGH; DON'T BUY FAST FOOD! THEY STOP PREPARING IT SAFELY AT BK AND MC D'S BY 8PM! THEY RUN OUT OF KETCHUP/PICKLES/LETTUCE/EVERYTHING BY SATURDAY!! I GOT REAAAALLY SICK ONE YEAR WHEN I BOUGHT A BURGER!!

Also, water is free all convention long, why are people buying water?

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Jail Bait on December 02, 2008, 06:45:42 PM

If we paid in advance (months before the con) do we need to pay a deposit when we get there? My friend paid for our hotel and she did it already with her credit card...so do we need to bring a deposit?

From my experience, you will still have to put a deposit down on the room when you get there, but that will be the only thing they will charge to your card if you've paid it upfront.

Swap meet staff - 2014

Kyra_Maverick

I can not stress parking enough! Make sure you have money for parking. Some of the hotels claim discounts for Fanime guests, but call your hotel and double check. Last year I stayed at the Crowne Plaza, where parking was supposed to be half off for Fanime guests. It was not. Any attempt to convince them of this, even showing the housing website where it was posted, had no effect. /rant

In short, have extra money for parking. 

All the other advice thats been posted is very sound.

As for saving money, coins are still money. Hold on to that change you get back, and bring it to a CoinStar machine or straight to the bank. It can add up faster then you think.

Lady_Hoshi

The free water is tap water.  Some people do not like the taste/can't drink tap water.  Even some water from those pure water stores tastes funny to me.
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

MaruKyuu

Quote from: Lady_Hoshi on January 10, 2009, 04:08:39 PM

The free water is tap water.  Some people do not like the taste/can't drink tap water.  Even some water from those pure water stores tastes funny to me.

IT'S TAP WATER!?!?!?!?!?! I drank unbelievable amounts last year. It was like liquid heaven to me.

Thanks for destroying my great memories. :(

But seriously, the water's not bad or anything, I honestly couldn't tell it was tap water.

Steve.Young

I don't think it was tap water, but I shall ask.

Cause Fanime DOES PAY a lot of money for water...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

FanFicGuru

The free water that I think people are referring to are the numerous water dispensers spread throughout the convention center. There are typically quite a few of them, especially in the video halls...they have plastic cups around them and such. I doubt that it is tap water in disguise as I also had some of this water and found it to be delicious, refreshing and pure.
Swap meet staff - 2014

ewu

If I recall correctly, there were some issues with keeping those full and maybe at some point they were tap.

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 11, 2009, 11:16:56 AM

The free water that I think people are referring to are the numerous water dispensers spread throughout the convention center. There are typically quite a few of them, especially in the video halls...they have plastic cups around them and such. I doubt that it is tap water in disguise as I also had some of this water and found it to be delicious, refreshing and pure.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Lady_Hoshi

maybe it's the ice they use in it to keep it cool.  but every now and then the water had some sort of aftertaste.
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

FanFicGuru

Quote from: ewu on January 11, 2009, 11:05:20 PM
If I recall correctly, there were some issues with keeping those full and maybe at some point they were tap.

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 11, 2009, 11:16:56 AM

Ah, alrighty. That might explain it.
Swap meet staff - 2014

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: Rei-Rei on October 08, 2008, 09:40:30 AM
One important thing I learned about the hotels is, even if you pay for staying at the hotel x amounts of nights, the price is not set so therefore you should have a couple hundred dollars extra just in case. There was a deposit for each room we booked, we took a couple of things from the fridge, and there was the movies charge. You should not watch movies that the hotel provides. It's actually a lot cheaper to go to Blockbusters to rent movies and watch them on your laptop.

Actually the price is set and can not be changed by the hotel, unless the number of bodies in the room increased from two to three or four bodies.  If the hotel rate is $100.00 per and includes all the taxes and when the bill comes and its more than that, you need to contact the CMR REP immediately. 

C.
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

FanFicGuru

Quote from: PassingTheBuck on January 25, 2009, 10:49:34 AM
One important thing I learned about the hotels is, even if you pay for staying at the hotel x amounts of nights, the price is not set so therefore you should have a couple hundred dollars extra just in case. There was a deposit for each room we booked, we took a couple of things from the fridge, and there was the movies charge. You should not watch movies that the hotel provides. It's actually a lot cheaper to go to Blockbusters to rent movies and watch them on your laptop.

Actually the price is set and can not be changed by the hotel, unless the number of bodies in the room increased from two to three or four bodies.  If the hotel rate is $100.00 per and includes all the taxes and when the bill comes and its more than that, you need to contact the CMR REP immediately. 

C.

Really? Even if the people in the room incur additional charges by using the phone, ordering room service, etc.? Also, the deposit thing has been constant and is always stacked on top of the initial charge, it's just that they refund it a couple business days after the con's over.

But please, if they shouldn't be charging us deposit fees let us know, because for the last 4 years or so I've been paying my room fee +150 dollars for deposit ($50/night).
Swap meet staff - 2014

ewu

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 25, 2009, 11:07:31 AM
Really? Even if the people in the room incur additional charges by using the phone, ordering room service, etc.? Also, the deposit thing has been constant and is always stacked on top of the initial charge, it's just that they refund it a couple business days after the con's over.

But please, if they shouldn't be charging us deposit fees let us know, because for the last 4 years or so I've been paying my room fee +150 dollars for deposit ($50/night).

You all should call CMR or post on the CMR thread.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

PassingTheBuck

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 25, 2009, 11:07:31 AM
Quote from: PassingTheBuck on January 25, 2009, 10:49:34 AM

C.

Base room rate, not the add on things, but however, how many of the attendees are willing to assume the charges for the phone, at about a buck a minute to use it, when the vast majority of the attendees have cell phones, making room services charges (paying the higher end pricing, 18% for delivery plus taxes, plus, plus plus), when they have enough issues paying for base food and as for other charges, it depends.

You shouldn't be charged a deposit, because you need to tell the hotel that you wouldn't be using the phone nor having room service or using any other service and they can't charge you.  It's really that simple.  However if on the other hand, if you planning on using those services, yeah, you will need to pay a deposit or use your AMEX card and it wouldn't matter.

C.
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

FanFicGuru

Not trying to be argumentative here, just wanted to point out the CMR rep. replied to my question regarding the deposit situation:

Quote from: CMR repHello, my name is Jacy and I am with CMR. The deposit that you are asking about is basically to guarantee that you have enough available funds on your credit card to pay the hotel. The hotel will take an authorization on your credit card for the amount of the room plus tax and an additional $50-$100 per night of your stay to account for any possible incidental charges that you may incur (hotel restaurant, Starbucks, room service, etc.). If you use a debit card, the funds will actually be temporarily withdrawn or held in limbo so that they are inaccessible. If you would like to avoid this hold/deposit when you stay at a hotel, you can give them cash (equal to the amount of the room plus deposit) then pay at the end with a credit card and get the cash refunded to you. You can just pay in cash as well and not use a credit or debit card. This process is used by hotels so that they can guarantee payment from their guests. I hope that this helps!

I have tried to talk my way out of the deposit in the past, but the hotel management insists that it's necessary for check-in because of the possibility of damaging the room, etc, and not just voluntary incidentals.

I'll stop dragging it along, I've been paying the deposit for years now and at this point it's figured into my budget, so it's no skin off my back...
Swap meet staff - 2014

elfgirlkaname

if anyone is interested this is my con budget
I am driving up with my sister so gas and parking is halved
I also have a 4 person room reserved and am planning for 4 people in it
I am going to be there from thurday-monday

gas 15$
parking25$
food on the way to and from the con 10$
food at con 100$