Sample Budget (For People who are trying to figure it out) Version 3.0!

Started by FanFicGuru, October 05, 2008, 07:54:58 PM

shinjiboy

Don't forget to put aside the "wtf" fee in case the hotel has some unknown charge or your dinner costing more than you expected.  One easy way is to take it out of your spending money. 

BrightHeart76

My estimated room cost this year is $450  (Thursday thru Tuesday at the Hilton single occupancy including taxes)
Parking should be about $100
Gas (if prices stay as they are) is about $40 each way (so $80)
I try to save $300 for food, but I never spend that much.
I hope HOPE to have $500 or $600 for everything else.

Total = approximately $1500  I already have $950.  If I can save $200 a month until Fanime I'll be set...and I should be able to do that no problem.   ;D

(I did not include costs for items I've already paid for i.e. my registration and cosplays)

The bonus is I might have a room mate this year...that would take about $200 off the room cost and seriously make Fanime much more affordable.  :)
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

zoupzuop2

Something of note:

If you're desperate to not pay so much for a hotel, look to Santa Cruz. Scotts Valley is tricky, but the price for the Best Western is a bit much (about the same $100 you'd already be paying) and the Hilton is a freaking CASTLE. Santa Cruz, on the other hand, has a SLEW of very cheap hotels (though certainly not the best), and it's not a far reach to take the HW17 Express from Santa Cruz to San Jose. Ultimately, if you pay low at the hotels and buy Day passes for the VTA Bus every day, you could save a few bucks grand total.

That's if you're REALLY scrapin', though.
Haven't been here much since '09. I said some stupid, stupid things before (and after) that.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: zoupzuop2 on February 10, 2009, 05:52:19 PM
Something of note:

If you're desperate to not pay so much for a hotel, look to Santa Cruz. Scotts Valley is tricky, but the price for the Best Western is a bit much (about the same $100 you'd already be paying) and the Hilton is a freaking CASTLE. Santa Cruz, on the other hand, has a SLEW of very cheap hotels (though certainly not the best), and it's not a far reach to take the HW17 Express from Santa Cruz to San Jose. Ultimately, if you pay low at the hotels and buy Day passes for the VTA Bus every day, you could save a few bucks grand total.

That's if you're REALLY scrapin', though.
I know. There 2/3 days of the year for 4th of July. All free too. Got to love having rich relatives with shares...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

jeans

Breakfast burritos at La Vic's are now $3.25 ... but still darn good!

Charis

Important to note, also, that per the Hilton questions thread, all of the rooms there now come with mini-fridges.

(This makes me happy.  I like my cold water.  XD )
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

heeroyuy135

I've started a budget spreadsheet for 2009...at-con costs are about the same they were last year with a slight increase due to a higher hotel rate. Total spending including pre-con (like drinks and snacks I bring over) is about $850.

I wish I had my 2008 budget spreadsheet, but the original hard drive on the laptop crashed :(

FanFicGuru

Fanime is quickly approaching!

I hope all of you budgeting types have hit your desired amount to bring, as for me I'm running short so I'm hoping to make a profit Thursday night through the swap meet, lol.

Looking forward to the convention! I'll see you all there!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

KyraEnsui

I know I'm barely getting close to my budget except that there are few things that made me snag in the middle. Stupid brother and racking up phone bill. So, here's hoping to get moolas from swap meet. =)

†Alexander Anderson†

I usually just bring home food with me in 2 paper bags for the weekends like sandwiches, bananas, energy bars, energy drinks such as Gatorade or Redbull (though it technically doesn't energize you, it's a good cheap alternative.) fruit snacks, ect. It saves you A WHOLE bunch of money so you can blow it all away on the Fanime swords and gifts :)

heeroyuy135

I'm hoping to get some money out of textbook buybacks and all the change I've been saving so that I don't have to take out as much from the bank account

elfgirlkaname

yay! I got my tax return!! ;D

I have more than enough for my planned budget...
....I can even get a BJD....

;D ;D ;D

if Junkyspot has the one I want :D

sarah_the_raptor

This year, the group I went with hit the store on the way out of town. we spent about $50 on food, and it lasted the weekend. it was a very good idea on our part.

outcast

All i needed was at least 90 bucks for the whole weekend t cover food and merchandise.

sarah_the_raptor

Quote from: outcast on June 02, 2009, 10:29:53 AM
All i needed was at least 90 bucks for the whole weekend t cover food and merchandise.

that's about how much i came with. so glad there was a walgreens right around the corner.

Remi Leopold

Also; if you think you can cut costs by not getting a hotel, THINK TWICE MY FRIEND.

Not only will the rovers be constantly keeping you awake, but by Monday(if not sunday), you will be halfway dead.

A hotel is a necessity.

heeroyuy135

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

KyraEnsui

I know I am set for '10 budget also. This time, I have a better idea on how much it will cost for not only hotel rooms, but also, the cost of gas, renting a car, and managing my time so I drive with less gas along with buying foods and waters while staying at the Hilton for their awesome mini-fridges; I'm all set. My roommates loves it when our fridge is stock-full of liquids and cool snacks.

I always go to Target for snacks because they will always have something on clearance like those fruits cups. I bought those for only $0.64 each and then stock up on one case of 24-pk of water bottles. As for renting a car, I absolutely recommend Enterprise because if you book online, they will have a 50% weekend special. Check ahead on how much hotel will charge for parking or surrounding area of the convention so that it can be added to your budget.

;D Hope this help out.

FanFicGuru

I'm glad to see this thread is still up and running! I will try to make some additions in the coming weeks. I hope all of you are getting ready for an awesome Fanime 2010!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015