Sample Budget (For People who are trying to figure it out) Version 3.0!

Started by FanFicGuru, October 05, 2008, 07:54:58 PM

heeroyuy135

This is what I did for food in 2010:
Breakfast: Pastries, coffee cake, and orange juice
Lunch: Ramen and crackers with some water and an energy drink
Dinner: Eat out, even if it's fast food - it balances out what you've eaten so far

If you decide to go survive on ramen, go buy in bulk. You can buy a 24 pack of cup ramen over at Costco for about $5.

Rin_chan

Since I'm staying the Ramada this year and will have a microwave and fridge in my room, I'm planning and making some small meals at home to bring over and eat. Stir fry's, pasta, some fried rice.

Figured I'd take advantage of having a microwave and go all out, plus having yummy food back in my room will keep me from going out to eat since this year I'm on a smaller budget.

FanFicGuru

Hey everyone! I just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I hope this guide is continuing to help our freshman fanime-goers as well as remind our veterans of important financial tidbits. Unfortunately, this year will be my last year at fanime  :'( So I will be going out with a bang! I look forward to seeing you all there!
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Antstep

Ugghh i have absolutely no idea how i'm going to manage my budget. I have a one day small scale "convention" this weekend (San Jose Super Toy and Collectible show). Then some extra time before Fanime i'll probably spend some cash on random things. Then Fanime of course. I hope to have at least $300 by Fanime. Then in about a month and 1/2, I have San Diego Comic Con which i'd also like to have $250-$300 by. WAT DO?? D: (Not to mention on top of all this: FOOD FOR FANIME) I'm not getting a hotel btw i live 15 mins from the con center.

roarkyo

When i turn 18 im pulling out $5000 and going crazy at fanime 2012
Fanime attendee 2007-2010
May not be able to attend 2011 or 2012 Fanime :(

Rin_chan

I know this isn't really budget related, but it could be a good convention idea in general. I'm thinking of investing in a few of the space saver travel bags. You know the one's that you roll up to get all the air out of?

I think it could really help me fit everything into one bag instead of two and save room when my friends and I carpool over to the con.

Anyone else ever try this?

zeroelement

Parking places tend to be around $7 a day for 24 hours. so 3-4 days $21-$28

Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

Tony

Quote from: Rin_chan on March 22, 2011, 04:29:24 PM
I know this isn't really budget related, but it could be a good convention idea in general. I'm thinking of investing in a few of the space saver travel bags. You know the one's that you roll up to get all the air out of?

I think it could really help me fit everything into one bag instead of two and save room when my friends and I carpool over to the con.

Anyone else ever try this?
Those work really well! Just know that they make your luggage pretty dense and heavy. (It's an important point if you're flying or don't have rolling luggage.)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Moonblossom

I can't emphasize Tony's last point enough. They're super convenient if you're driving, but do be careful if you use them in the future for flying. Also make sure you get the rolly kind, not the vacuum kind, sometimes the packaging is not very clearly labeled.

I got some and I was all "oh this is great! I can put so much more stuff in my luggage!" and forgot to take into account that it weighs the same amount, it's just more compact. My luggage was nearly 20lbs over-weight ><''

zeroelement

Quote from: Moonblossom on May 13, 2011, 09:39:32 PM
I can't emphasize Tony's last point enough. They're super convenient if you're driving, but do be careful if you use them in the future for flying. Also make sure you get the rolly kind, not the vacuum kind, sometimes the packaging is not very clearly labeled.

I got some and I was all "oh this is great! I can put so much more stuff in my luggage!" and forgot to take into account that it weighs the same amount, it's just more compact. My luggage was nearly 20lbs over-weight ><''
Another way besides the space bags is tell other people who are staying in your room what your bringing. I don't think you need 3 of the same thing. Besides cloths a room only needs one of most things that get pluged in. Sharing is careing and its can be USEFUL 
Cosplayer of Host club (nekozawa) and Soul Eater (Free)
Looking for local cosplay groups and new friends.

devid61

Some tips I learned from this year.

- When it comes to actually saving money for the con plan to save at least 100 dollars MORE than you need. There are always unknown expenses that may arise.
- It really helps to bring your own food and snacks. This includes cups of noodle, PB&J, and cereal. You can make a cup of noodle by heating water in the coffee maker. Not the best cup of noodle, but it's still a cheap and tasty snack. Bring lots of water and other drinks. I don't recommend sodas as they tend to make you more thirsty. Try not to eat at the food stands as they are horribly expensive.
- There are many close food joints that are reasonably priced and quite tasty.
- Save your money as best as you can. Don't buy everything on the first day. Take some time to look at everything you like then think about what you want most and buy them slowly over the course of Fanime.
The mortgage payoff calculator will help you to calculate the amount of interest that you will save by paying your mortgage off early.

Rin_chan

I guess the only bad part about waiting to buy something you really want in the dealers hall is what to do if it sells out before you get it. I wanted a K-ON! pillow last year that a few different dealers were selling and waited until monday to buy it, but by then only the most expensive place still had any left >< so I had to choose between paying more or not getting it at all even though it was the only thing I was buying for myself last year (I had a REALLY small budget)

Haunterluvcookies

I say if your driving or flying pack what you need. I tend to over pack and end up with more than I need. I had to carry alot of my stuff around and I hated it.

Also its good to limit what cosplay you want to do, there is only four days for the con if your going thur-mon. Most of the time most people don't stay all of monday. Do cosplays that you really want because overloading yourself with costumes it costly and sometimes you don't get to enjoy the work you put into them. Because your changing all the time.

Lastly if you have a job add up the total you get every month because that could help in planning what your gonna need to spend for fanime. I get paid every two weeks, so I took what I get every two weeks added about 20 to that and broke down my entire fanime trip. The plane fare, con badge, hotel, food and spending money, costumes and most importent is back up money. Always have back up money.

Hope this helps if most of this stuff wasn't metioned already... ;)
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

FanFicGuru

Hey everyone! Just letting you all know that I am alive and I'll be re-visiting this thread and making adjustments where necessary. I have now relocated to San Diego but I am planning on coming to fanime for my 8th year! Let me know if you have any questions. :)
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Antstep

Quote from: FanFicGuru on January 31, 2012, 07:48:14 PM
Hey everyone! Just letting you all know that I am alive and I'll be re-visiting this thread and making adjustments where necessary. I have now relocated to San Diego but I am planning on coming to fanime for my 8th year! Let me know if you have any questions. :)
It's awesome you're still going to come! I remember awhile back you said 2011 was your last year.

llaaannniiii

Hii! This year I'm staying at the Saint Claire, which i heard offers free fridges for a good amount of the room. I'm hoping to get a room with a mini fridge!

What type of food do you guys think I should load up on? I'm trying to not go out and buy food (budget reasons) and also trying to not eat so much junk food. So i have the fridge and the coffee pot (hot water) to work with, and staying from friday - monday so hoping for a bit of variety! So far I'm thinking of buying:

Instant noodles! (lunch time and late night hunger), oatmeal (breakfast), bananas (for oatmeal), instant curry ( just put it in hot water), water, gatorade powder mixture, chips, the triscuit or whatever tomato and basil, pockies, and that's about all

What do you guys recommend on buying? Or what do you guys normally buy for food and snacks? Ty for helping out!

Charis

If you're trying to avoid junk food, don't go for the instant noodles (or most instant foods) -- those things are loaded with salt and preservatives.  Consider a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread instead; the resulting sandwiches are portable, and you don't even need refrigeration depending on the kind of PB you bring.

Trail-mix type snacks are good -- nuts, dried fruit, etc. -- both for a quick sugar hit if you've forgotten to eat and are starving and for the longer staying-power that proteins and fats will give you.  For more solid meals, if you do have the fridge, consider lunch meats, cheeses, hard-boiled eggs, and hummus.  Some of those you can get in packets that don't need refrigeration before opening as well.  Think about what you tend to eat and try to work off that; different people need different foods to feel full, after all.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

llaaannniiii

TC X0 Lt 0X

My usual suggestion beyond food:
Multi-Vitamins Supplement

Obviously, your body is going to be under a lot of stress over the course of con, what from walking on end, potentially staying awake far past when you should be sleeping, and exposure to large amounts of other people.
Vitamins will give your body a lot of what it needs to keep it running properly and fight off any potential sicknesses you may catch from others, which usual confood will just not provide.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

llaaannniiii

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on May 01, 2012, 01:06:29 PM
My usual suggestion beyond food:
Multi-Vitamins Supplement

Obviously, your body is going to be under a lot of stress over the course of con, what from walking on end, potentially staying awake far past when you should be sleeping, and exposure to large amounts of other people.
Vitamins will give your body a lot of what it needs to keep it running properly and fight off any potential sicknesses you may catch from others, which usual confood will just not provide.

i just bought some twist off nutrilite drink thingies! it's super portable and i hope it'll work almost similar to vitamin water and gatorade. It's suppooosseee to give you a good amount of vitamins too... lets hope so!! ty for the idea :)