Sample Budget (For People who are trying to figure it out) Version 3.0!

Started by FanFicGuru, October 05, 2008, 07:54:58 PM

heeroyuy135

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on October 23, 2009, 03:12:49 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on October 23, 2009, 02:04:51 PM
Already got the '10 budget up and working on it
link?
I mean on my end...

I have an idea to those who don't want to wait around to have their credit card charged the full amount for a hotel room. Instead, buy hotel gift cards in small increments. For example, if you know your room is going to cost about $300, then buy three $100 gift cards. You can probably buy one each month after you reserve the room until you get to your desired total. You would still have to put a credit card on file, but when the bill comes around for the hotel you're stuck with the chump change compared to the full charge because the gift cards will take the grunt of the charged amount. It also gives you a easier chance to pay off those small amounts each month (or whatever your payment period is) compared to having to pay off the full amount.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on November 08, 2009, 07:54:35 PM
link?
I mean on my end...

I have an idea to those who don't want to wait around to have their credit card charged the full amount for a hotel room. Instead, buy hotel gift cards in small increments. For example, if you know your room is going to cost about $300, then buy three $100 gift cards. You can probably buy one each month after you reserve the room until you get to your desired total. You would still have to put a credit card on file, but when the bill comes around for the hotel you're stuck with the chump change compared to the full charge because the gift cards will take the grunt of the charged amount. It also gives you a easier chance to pay off those small amounts each month (or whatever your payment period is) compared to having to pay off the full amount.

That's a really good idea. I'm gonna put this on the front page. ^_^
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Lady_Hoshi

Quote from: FanFicGuru on November 19, 2009, 01:42:32 PM
Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on November 08, 2009, 07:54:35 PM
link?
I mean on my end...

That's a really good idea. I'm gonna put this on the front page. ^_^

the only problem is that at check in the hotel puts a hold charge on your credit card.  This acts like a real transaction.  and especially if you use a debit card that has a visa/mc symbol, you will be unable to use the money that is being "held".
Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

michiko nakano

Here are some suggestions for foods that I think are good choices for con, for those of you who like hearing ideas or have grocery shopper's block.  Please don't diss me, I'm sure you all have suggestions to add so just quote me and add stuff, I'd love to hear your suggestions.  My credentials?  A college nutrition course, two winters of backpacking in death valley, and years upon years in a ballet company where i had to know how to sustain healthy energy for hours and hours, like we'll be doing at con.  You don't have to take my suggestions if you don't like them, cuz I know that some of this stuff is pricey.

DRINKS: vitamin water, gatorade, crystal light packets and tang and other powders will work wonders on plain water if you don't like plain water, tea bags (coffee pot can make tea the same way it makes coffee), orange juice, juicy juice... tea is probably best for your health, and you can get fancy with the herbal-remedy-for-con-ailments idea.

GRAINS/BREADY STUFF: poptarts, french bread is usually a dollar in grocery store bakeries, granola bars, other bars, rice cakes, pita bread/chips, whole wheat bread, rice (rice cooker), cheerios (most cereals are pretty good raw), popcorn (marriot has no microwaves though), BAKE TONS OF OATMEAL COOKIES or other nice baked goods like banana bread or corn muffins

PROTEINY STUFF: cheese*, soy things*, peanut butter, beef jerky, yogurt*, almonds, other nuts, pumpkin seeds... get creative and make some personalized trail mx with all your favorite stuff in in, like m&m's and peanuts and sunflower seeds and raisins. Since cooking doesn't really work in hotel rooms, go to La Vic's or another nearby restaurant and get protein.

PLANTS: (i don't know what's in season in may but whatever) cherry tomatoes, carrots, avocado, prepackaged salads with dressing can be mixed and tossed in the bags they come in*, papaya, pineapple, cherries, grapes, apples, any dried fruit (dried fruit must be accompanyed by water or else you will be dehydrated because your body sucks up a lot of water digesting fruit)  

So the idea is to keep variety in your diet as much as you can.  Vitamins are important, and a good way to get what you need is try to get all the different colors of fruit and veggies (red, green, yellow, etcetera).  Bread is your friend!  No, carbs are not bad. If you drink enough water with them your body will produce ongoing energy and they will not turn into fat if you use them up (not hard to do at con).  Protein will sustain you.  Good fats (nuts beans fish) are used up doing light things such as walking and ballroom dancing. Nuts and beans and fish (the second two perhaps in the form of burritos or fish tacos from la vic's?) will help you a lot.  Peanut butter and jelly sammiches may seem unappetizing if you used to eat them every day, but you all know how some things are surprisingly appetizing if you're truly hungry.  Whipped cream is good for quick energy.  And quick other things.  *censored*

*must be refrigerated, use the ice bucket and dump water/replace with ice when you take a break from con to eat or whatever.  or use fridge or cooler.

heeroyuy135

Unfortunately some Starbucks locations don't take the gift cards, one being the Starbucks at the Hilton inside the convention center (the Starbucks inside the Los Angeles Airport Marriott where ALA is held doesn't take gift cards as well).

michiko nakano

ooohhhhh dang it i think i remember knowing that... thanks!  i'll modify the post~~

FanFicGuru

Quote from: michiko nakano on January 25, 2010, 08:37:13 PM
Here are some suggestions for foods that I think are good choices for con, for those of you who like hearing ideas or have grocery shopper's block.  Please don't diss me, I'm sure you all have suggestions to add so just quote me and add stuff, I'd love to hear your suggestions.  My credentials?  A college nutrition course, two winters of backpacking in death valley, and years upon years in a ballet company where i had to know how to sustain healthy energy for hours and hours, like we'll be doing at con.  You don't have to take my suggestions if you don't like them, cuz I know that some of this stuff is pricey.

DRINKS: vitamin water, gatorade, crystal light packets and tang and other powders will work wonders on plain water if you don't like plain water, tea bags (coffee pot can make tea the same way it makes coffee), orange juice, juicy juice... tea is probably best for your health, and you can get fancy with the herbal-remedy-for-con-ailments idea.

GRAINS/BREADY STUFF: poptarts, french bread is usually a dollar in grocery store bakeries, granola bars, other bars, rice cakes, pita bread/chips, whole wheat bread, rice (rice cooker), cheerios (most cereals are pretty good raw), popcorn (marriot has no microwaves though), BAKE TONS OF OATMEAL COOKIES or other nice baked goods like banana bread or corn muffins

PROTEINY STUFF: cheese*, soy things*, peanut butter, beef jerky, yogurt*, almonds, other nuts, pumpkin seeds... get creative and make some personalized trail mx with all your favorite stuff in in, like m&m's and peanuts and sunflower seeds and raisins. Since cooking doesn't really work in hotel rooms, go to La Vic's or another nearby restaurant and get protein.

PLANTS: (i don't know what's in season in may but whatever) cherry tomatoes, carrots, avocado, prepackaged salads with dressing can be mixed and tossed in the bags they come in*, papaya, pineapple, cherries, grapes, apples, any dried fruit (dried fruit must be accompanyed by water or else you will be dehydrated because your body sucks up a lot of water digesting fruit)  

So the idea is to keep variety in your diet as much as you can.  Vitamins are important, and a good way to get what you need is try to get all the different colors of fruit and veggies (red, green, yellow, etcetera).  Bread is your friend!  No, carbs are not bad. If you drink enough water with them your body will produce ongoing energy and they will not turn into fat if you use them up (not hard to do at con).  Protein will sustain you.  Good fats (nuts beans fish) are used up doing light things such as walking and ballroom dancing. Nuts and beans and fish (the second two perhaps in the form of burritos or fish tacos from la vic's?) will help you a lot.  Peanut butter and jelly sammiches may seem unappetizing if you used to eat them every day, but you all know how some things are surprisingly appetizing if you're truly hungry.  Whipped cream is good for quick energy.  And quick other things.  *censored*

*must be refrigerated, use the ice bucket and dump water/replace with ice when you take a break from con to eat or whatever.  or use fridge or cooler.

Just wanted to say I wanted to add this to the first page/post but it exceeds maximum character limit. :-( Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming.
Swap meet staff - 2014

michiko nakano

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 02, 2010, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: michiko nakano on January 25, 2010, 08:37:13 PM

Just wanted to say I wanted to add this to the first page/post but it exceeds maximum character limit. :-( Thanks for the tips! Keep them coming.
dude, those peanut butter filled pretzels.  though a little unhealthy, there's your proteins and fats and sugar and complex carbs, as well as salt.  also, bring some styrofoam cups and get those nice little oatmeal individual packets, and you can have a nice cup of oatmeal.. BRING UTENSILES lol i had to make fruit salad with a butterfly knife last time.  oh geez, don't tell anyone i had a butterfly knife in my room.  aren't they illegal?

FanFicGuru

Swap meet staff - 2014

michiko nakano

foods to add to the list: wheat thins, girl scout cookies (freeze them now so they'll last, if you still have any, because they'll be a nice treat!), graham crackers (they go great with peanut butter), and most kinds of dry cereal.  I was at school the other day and picked up little box of cocoa puffs... omg. 

Somebody

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on January 25, 2010, 10:15:48 PM
Unfortunately some Starbucks locations don't take the gift cards, one being the Starbucks at the Hilton inside the convention center (the Starbucks inside the Los Angeles Airport Marriott where ALA is held doesn't take gift cards as well).

Somehow I must have missed that Starbucks...pretty sad because that was the hotel I was in last year! :P
They sell Starbucks coffee down at the Marriott don't they? I thought I heard they did...

Also, I organize my money into different containers or envelopes: hotel, emergency, spending, and each day has its own envelope of food money. Obviously I don't touch the emergency unless I'm having one, and when I reach the end of each day if I didn't use all my allotted food money I can put it into my spending.

I always felt that this helped me with personal restraint, especially since I've had roommates that had none. It was very irritating to have a roommate who whined all weekend because she blew all her money on a jacket the first day. >(

This is a wonderful thread! I'm already looking through my budget and shopping list to see where I can edit things for the better.  :D
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

michiko nakano

Yeah, the starbucks is right next to the doors that connect the Hilton to the con center, on the ground level.  Next to the stairs and escalatorz that are outside of the rave and such. 

Yeah I always find that it's nice to have my budget and food and everything organized ahead of time, so that it's already planned by the time I get to con and I can run around and be crazy while still having some kind of structure to rely on. 
Quote from: Somebody on May 02, 2010, 09:49:59 AM
Somehow I must have missed that Starbucks...pretty sad because that was the hotel I was in last year! :P
They sell Starbucks coffee down at the Marriott don't they? I thought I heard they did...

Also, I organize my money into different containers or envelopes: hotel, emergency, spending, and each day has its own envelope of food money. Obviously I don't touch the emergency unless I'm having one, and when I reach the end of each day if I didn't use all my allotted food money I can put it into my spending.

I always felt that this helped me with personal restraint, especially since I've had roommates that had none. It was very irritating to have a roommate who whined all weekend because she blew all her money on a jacket the first day. >(

This is a wonderful thread! I'm already looking through my budget and shopping list to see where I can edit things for the better.  :D

FanFicGuru

I'm glad people are finding a use for the thread. :-) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Either that or I need to stop eating cats.
Swap meet staff - 2014

michiko nakano

kohana ichibana

I think it's always better to over budget rather than under budget. It's better to know you have extra money so that after fanime you're not broke.

I have to plan 800 for my hotel since I'm paying the 400 to stay for 4 nights and 400 for the security deposit.
Then 300 spending
100 food
100 supplies (I'm going to be in the artist alley)

Thats a nice 1300. I'm charging my hotel roommates already so they have to pay me before the convention even starts so that saves me 300 of hotel. The good thing is I have a job.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

jeans

Just a note, La Victoria breakfast burritos have probably gone up in price. I will investigate :D

Results of the investigation: $2.50! Still rather cheap for what you get, thought. Plus that delicious orange sauce...

michiko nakano

i brought a loooot of my own food, off my food list i posted, and only went out for food once or twice.  food spendatures were down to a little under twenty bucks.  it pays to bring your own food.

kookiekween99

This should go without saying, but...

If you're planning on bringing a huge thing of Cup Noodles to feast on for the weekend, remember to bring plastic forks.

I know. We felt like idiots as soon as we realized that you can't eat hot liquidy noodly soup stuff with your fingers.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

TC X0 Lt 0X

Honestly, if your willing to survive off of Cup Of Noodles over a weekend of constant activity, walking, and lack of sleep, I think you have better things to worry about then forgetting forks...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Rin_chan

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 07, 2010, 06:01:32 PM
Honestly, if your willing to survive off of Cup Of Noodles over a weekend of constant activity, walking, and lack of sleep, I think you have better things to worry about then forgetting forks...
agreed, I learned it the hard way since last year was my first Con I'd ever been to. But yeah, ramen for 3 days was not fun at all. My friends and I brought sandwich stuff to and agreed to share it all, but I only got one >.< not doing that again. We really should've set some guidelines for that, like how many we all get each.

But my food is my food this year.

(By the way, love this thread, wish I found it last year)