What Anime Would You Want Brought to the States?

Started by Dragon Ninja, October 08, 2008, 09:54:00 PM

Joshua

Quote from: PyronIkari on June 01, 2009, 04:10:05 PM

[
]

So considering that all you do is pirate everything anyways... WHY THE HELL DOES YOUR OPINION EVEN MEAN ANYTHING?

This will be my final post.

I told you to PM me instead, but you still went on, so I assume you don't know what PM is. (That's OK, I'll just write here. The thread got ruined tho.)

How can you not realize how many obvious personal attacks you have made on me? Please, I did not call you names, and I did nothing to try to degrade your reputation. All I attacked were your arguments. Yet you insist on calling me an idiot, stupid, or whatever empty adjective to try to feel higher than you really are. (This time you checked how old I am. And you predictably did a personal attack on age. Age doesn't matter, only the argument.) In contrast, I don't do that. In fact, calling people stupid hurts me more than it hurts them. I'll ignore your remarks for now.

EDIT: I should explain how I got your age to be 30+.
QuoteI started watching anime in... 86, and it started with Robotech, Voltron, Speed Racer and other dubbed series.
Since you started watching in 1986, you would have to be at least 30 years old if you started watching when you were 7 years old.

Maybe my English isn't very good, but I interpreted the expression "bring anime to the US" as dubbing anime in English. So although your argument is correct, so was mine. Sorry for the confusion!

Well, a straw man argument is actually a logical fallacy. It's also a tactic used for debating unwitting opponents. So it's actually both. The two terms don't go head to head.

QuoteChange for the future? Based on what? Your preference? No one gives a damn about *your* preference, they care about the market as a whole.
Woooowww. My preference is my preference. Not everyone has to agree to it, but it's still my preference. This whole argument is based on MY PREFERENCE, not the MARKET'S PREFERENCE. Got it? Now if you don't like my preference (of course), then don't like them.

And the whole VA thing was about popular VA. I told you about how there are lower and higher salaries for different people for the same job.

umm...what? You're putting DVDs into the picture where we were talking about broadcasted anime. Those DON'T HAVE SUBS. The DVDs do. Those don't. Stop finding the exceptions to everything.

It was pretty painful to read through your post here. I wish people could stay cool while arguing; please count how many insults you have made.

And to the mods, I'll stop. Thanks for your opinion, but I don't really agree.

Joshua
皆こんちゃ~!初音ミクです!じゃあ、歌おうか!ううん、元気すぎない!私、普通、普通です。(ウソ)

G.I.R

I predict a long reply will follow this post.

sysadmin

Anime isn't exactly a new phenomenon in the US.

Anime dubbed into English has had limited success at the national level (Sci-Fi channel + Adult Swim + that's about all that matters).
Anime subtitled has had much less success at the national level (occasional one-offs at the Independent Film Channel, or the rare Miyazaki block on TCM).

I think the market has spoken on what it wants.

Yes, it's fine to be an elitist and enjoy Japanese TV shows in their rawest and purest form, which no editing or adaptations to fit a US audience.  But then anime will just be a tiny niche thing that 99% of people won't care about.

If you want anime culture in the US to be more than a niche, then you will need to concede the role of dubs (and the overall concept of "adaptation") in building that audience.

I want a pony.

DentyneIce408

Alright folks settle down and enough with the arguements and get back on topic...

The anime that would like to be brought to US has gotta be Eyeshield 21 or Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu aka Haruka Nogizaka's Secret. Or better have Guardian Hearts instead.
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

ELDEMONIO

Quote from: Haruka on May 09, 2009, 11:39:16 PM
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.  It's very strange.

^
|
|
THIS.                                              

iNSOMNiAC

Quote from: DentyneIce408 on June 02, 2009, 02:43:41 AM
The anime that would like to be brought to US has gotta be Eyeshield 21 or Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu aka Haruka Nogizaka's Secret. Or better have Guardian Hearts instead.

Eyeshield was brought here and dubbed, it used to be on Toonami Jet Stream, a site where you could watch things like Prince of Tennis and MAR I believe, dubbed of course. I don't know whatever happened to it though. Or if that site still even exists.

DentyneIce408

I didnt realize eyeshield 21 was dubbed already, thanks for the heads up!

*sigh* I wish Toonami would mostly play anime again, what were they thinking? Oh well, at least Microsoft is smart to sell anime episodes on Xbox Live. But I do wish they gave an option to choose between dubbed and subbed anime.
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

G.I.R

Quote from: DarkShinigamiX3 on June 02, 2009, 11:43:09 AM
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.  It's very strange.

^
|
|
THIS.                                              
copy:  paste

LordKefka

Quote from: sysadmin on June 02, 2009, 12:50:25 AM
Anime isn't exactly a new phenomenon in the US.

Anime dubbed into English has had limited success at the national level (Sci-Fi channel + Adult Swim + that's about all that matters).
Anime subtitled has had much less success at the national level (occasional one-offs at the Independent Film Channel, or the rare Miyazaki block on TCM).

I think the market has spoken on what it wants.

Yes, it's fine to be an elitist and enjoy Japanese TV shows in their rawest and purest form, which no editing or adaptations to fit a US audience.  But then anime will just be a tiny niche thing that 99% of people won't care about.

If you want anime culture in the US to be more than a niche, then you will need to concede the role of dubs (and the overall concept of "adaptation") in building that audience.

I want a pony.

Remember the good old days when PBS showed anime in subtitles? Yep... those days were awesome..*sigh*
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

G.I.R

Quote from: LordKefka on June 02, 2009, 05:39:12 PM
Remember the good old days when PBS showed anime in subtitles? Yep... those days were awesome..*sigh*
Whaaaaaa?!?  When did that happen?

Tony

I distinctly remember KTEH in the late 90s/early 00s. The clubs would man the phones during their pledge drives. Robotech and Evangelion were my favorites, and I think Key the Metal Idol was a big one for the station. They may have even played some classics like Project A-Ko and Urusei Yatsura.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

LordKefka

Quote from: Tony on June 02, 2009, 08:51:56 PM
I distinctly remember KTEH in the late 90s/early 00s. The clubs would man the phones during their pledge drives. Robotech and Evangelion were my favorites, and I think Key the Metal Idol was a big one for the station. They may have even played some classics like Project A-Ko and Urusei Yatsura.

Hah,

They showed City Hunter, Dirty Pair Flash, and Nuku Nuku OVA as well.

I remember watching Lain at 10:30PM every Sunday night. Too bad no one pledged and it died slowly and painfully =(
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

G.I.R

All I get in L.A. is some subtitled Anime on NHK America Either at 10:30 P.M. (and some on Sunday morning).  PBS down here hasn't shown anything from Japan.

LordKefka

That's why San Jose PBS was awesome =P

Here were some of the things they had:

City Hunter ( a few episodes)
Lain
Evangelion
Macross
Nuku Nuku OVA
Generator Gawl ( a few episodes)
BGC: OVA ( my favorite show)

Add in whatever I'm missing.

I only caught on in 2000 after they've aired Evangelion once already.

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Barnes

Ah, KTEH. What ever happened to ya?

On topic: Uh..........
Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.  It's very strange.

Agreed.

Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Piccahoe

Quote from: LordKefka on June 02, 2009, 10:21:35 PM
That's why San Jose PBS was awesome =P

Here were some of the things they had:

City Hunter ( a few episodes)
Lain
Evangelion
Macross
Nuku Nuku OVA
Generator Gawl ( a few episodes)
BGC: OVA ( my favorite show)

Add in whatever I'm missing.

I only caught on in 2000 after they've aired Evangelion once already.

I remember watching Serial Experiment Lain, Evangelion and a werid anime that had a flying baby and a jungle women who was in love with this guy. I don't remember the name.
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein

JohnnyAR

I never knew San Jose PBS had City Hunter on. Was I around when this happened or was I still unborn?

Remi Leopold

Kaiketsu Zorro
The rest of Saint Seiya
The rest of Fist of the North Star
Shulato
Rose of Versailles
and last, but certainly not least, Legend of Galactic Heroes.

I'm pretty damn old-school for an 18 year old.

raven-die

Sammy-kins

Quote from: raven-die on June 29, 2009, 08:30:08 PM
i want umineko no naku koro ni

Ya, but it's being released this summer in japan. So I guess we'll havta wait and see. XD
But Umineko is definetly on my list, too. X3