Cosplay Emergency Preparedness

Started by Charis, October 20, 2008, 01:45:11 PM

Charis

I've seen these sorts of threads elsewhere, but not here at the Fanime boards, so thought I'd broach the question.

Last-minute sewing, frantic repairs, cosplay emergencies ... we've all had them, or know those who have.  Given that, what sort of things go into your "cosplay emergency kit"?

Mine: needles, straight pins, safety pins, thread (white, black, neutral, and matched to whatever cosplays I'm bringing), extra fasteners (snaps, hooks and eyes, buttons), steam-a-seam, scissors (small fine-point), Tide pen, extra lacing cord, extra twill tape, extra bias tape, moleskin, athletic tape, and sock glue/body adhesive.
If I'm driving to the con and don't have to worry about checking luggage, I'll add a hot glue gun, regular-size scissors, bleach pen, clear nail polish, paint matched to whatever props I've got, and E6000.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

hellangel

i've transported my sewing machine the last few years. mostly cuz my cosplay group needs it, haha.

but normally, in the halls...needles/thread/safety pins.

hot glue in the room, yes yes. never had to use it until last year.
portable super-glue is nice, too, as i found for last con.

lint roller!
Upcoming events:

YCon | PMX | ALA | AOD | Fanime | AX

BunofGovt

Add fabric glue (fabric tac) to the above.  Also pressing cloth for when I have to iron and don't want to risk burning the material.  For my wigs, I've brought hair spray, gel, curling iron and blow dryer (with my own extension cord), clips, hair pins, curlers, combs.  Duct tape in various colors including the 'clear'.  Krazy glue is available in these cute little packs of four small tubes that fit nicely in my purse/bag.  Nail clippers on my key chain in case I don't have scissors for cutting threads.  One of those eyeglass repair kits with the tiny screw driver and screws plus nail polish to ensure a secure fit.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Charis

... what do you use the nail polish for with the eyeglass kit?  Now I'm all curious.

(I always have extra handkerchiefs -- I carry them to deal with makeup, mostly -- so I never bother with a separate press cloth, but it's always nice to have one!)

Oh, and detangling spray for wigs is a must.  Stupid long wigs.
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

Ska_Kitti

Here's my list.

-extra strength pain killers, usually a full bottle
-my sewing machine (for big repairs)
-my sewing box (numerous tools inside ie. safety pins, thread, buttons snaps etc.)
-vitamin supplements (recommended to me by the division head of live programming, he ever crashes after a con)
-duct tape ... for the big emergencies.
Cosplayer: 03-?
Fanime Staff: 04-?
~*~*~*~*~
Sorawarudesuka Cosplay

BunofGovt

Quote from: Charis on October 25, 2008, 08:39:23 AM
... what do you use the nail polish for with the eyeglass kit?  Now I'm all curious.

Just a dab on the screw to make sure it stays in place.  Some of the screws don't fit the glasses exactly.   :)

Oh, and a few Sharpies in various colors for touch ups, if I don't have the paint to match. Plus I can use them for guest autographs instead of the basic black signature.

MonkeyRikku

pre made bows i can super glue onto snags and tears. Obviously super glue, nail polish remover, black cording, Gorilla glue, needles, safty pins, buttons, Thread(burgandy,black,white,pink), and sharpies of the rainbow.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

BunofGovt

Quote from: MonkeyRikku on October 28, 2008, 06:49:48 PM
... sharpies of the rainbow.

This isn't cosplay related but I once got pulled to the front of an autograph line because I happened to have a silver Sharpie in my bag  ;D  (I apologize to everyone else in that line, including my friend who got left behind! I was kind of nervous about it!)

Back on subject, what do the rest of you do when you break a heel or bust a tie on your shoe or waraji, or otherwise come up limping?

MonkeyRikku

Quote from: BunofGovt on October 28, 2008, 08:22:14 PM
Quote from: MonkeyRikku on October 28, 2008, 06:49:48 PM
... sharpies of the rainbow.

This isn't cosplay related but I once got pulled to the front of an autograph line because I happened to have a silver Sharpie in my bag  ;D  (I apologize to everyone else in that line, including my friend who got left behind! I was kind of nervous about it!)

Back on subject, what do the rest of you do when you break a heel or bust a tie on your shoe or waraji, or otherwise come up limping?

Gorilla glue. it glues anything to everything. except water. and it's really good at sticking fingers to each other.
Cuz thats how I roll, duh.

K&K4ever

I just started making my own costumes, so my emergency kit is not that big yet. But, I have had to use it for a friend because she was cosplaying Vise from KOF and she needed to natch the ribbon at the bottom of her skirt so that it would stay put.

But so far my emergency kit include: Travel sowing kit, clear nail polish, athletic tape, bobby pins and safety pins.

And if I ever get my own sowing machien, then I will probably take that with me to the cons as well, just in case something happens.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Charis

Shoe emergencies: I've never had a heel break (knock on wood!), but what moleskin and athletic tape won't solve beforehand, E6000 or SuperGlue will after the fact.  I do carry enough stuff that can be used as emergency replacement ties, though, with thread and ribbon and the like.

(Gorilla Glue is awesome, but sometimes the foaming expansion effect can be really inconvenient.  I also discovered it does not like tiny narrow surfaces that you can't clamp, like the water bottle plastic I was using for gauntlets.)
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

SOawesomeness

I only buy black shoes- if my heels broke, I'd probably use some sort of really strong glue and gaff tape.

Gaff tape fixes everything. (:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Rei-Rei

We shouldn't forget those Tide magic pens for erasing any stains. =3