Knights of the Old Republic MMO officially announced today.

Started by Gatsby, October 21, 2008, 08:19:14 PM

Gatsby

Dark Brotherhood... brings back memories of yonder. ;_; Oh how I miss them.

ANyway, anyone who hasn't played the first KotOR I recommend playing it. The story is great and allows for 4 fairly unique play throughs.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on November 15, 2008, 01:23:08 PM

ANyway, anyone who hasn't played the first KotOR I recommend playing it. The story is great and allows for 4 fairly unique play throughs.
Had I an X-Box I would totally play through it, but seeing as how I only have a PS2...I can't play it ^^;

Gatsby

Does that statement mean your computer can't handle playing it?

Raymei

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on November 15, 2008, 01:23:08 PM

I'm playing it right now  :)   But I've seen it played-through by other people a few times before.
I like Bioware, they make good games that really get you into the world. 

I never played Dark Brotherhood, though.  What's that one about?

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on November 16, 2008, 10:12:55 PM
Does that statement mean your computer can't handle playing it?
I thought those games were only for the X-Box...I didn't realize they made PC versions...

Gatsby

Nope. KotOR I and II have computer versions that are way better since there is a huge modding community out there for them.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on November 18, 2008, 02:00:15 PM
Nope. KotOR I and II have computer versions that are way better since there is a huge modding community out there for them.
Hmmm...well then I'll have to be looking into acquiring those products...Now if only I can roll well enough on my Use Force Check for Force Persuasion I might be able to get a friend to buy it for me...

Gatsby

Damn. Now I must go find my copies and play. Hopefully I can beat them both during Thanksgiving.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Planing to DM the Star Wars: Saga Edition TTRPG KotOR Campaign Setting in a week...

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 25, 2008, 12:45:07 PM
Planing to DM the Star Wars: Saga Edition TTRPG KotOR Campaign Setting in a week...
I remember that system, it's a good one. MUCH better then the old one, in terms of force users. My friend has all the books on hard copy ^_^

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on December 21, 2008, 02:39:43 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 25, 2008, 12:45:07 PM
I remember that system, it's a good one. MUCH better then the old one, in terms of force users. My friend has all the books on hard copy ^_^
Indeed it is. And my group seems to be enjoying it much more then 4ed. To bad, I actually like for 4ed, and it sucks that no one in my group but me likes it. Though I still prefer 3.5 to 4ed, the change in pace was very nice.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Gatsby

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Darth_Diclonius on January 12, 2009, 03:19:53 PM
So TC did you play it?
Yes, and we will in fact be playing it next week.
I can't help though and fill that the encounters are easy.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Gatsby

Yes the game itself is very easy, but you can get mods to make it hard.

Ayanami Rei First Child

I dunno I remember in one of those games it was pretty hard to fight that giant beastie from Star Wars: Return of The Jedi. I hate to cheat like HELL by going into a the other side where he couldn't get me, and bombing the crap out of him with thermal detonators T_T

Gatsby

That was in the sewers of Kotor 1. The trick is to place a grenade and a vile of some rancor scent in the pile of corpses. It will come over eat the bomb and blow up.

Gatsby

Here's some background to the story of The Old Republic.

The Galactic Republic stood for generations as a bastion of peace in a galaxy of warring star systems. Protected by its stalwart Jedi guardians, the Republic held the greatest hope for the progress of civilization and galactic unity.

Deep in unknown space, however, a mighty Sith Empire was forged, led by dark Sith Lords who dreamt of galactic domination and vengeance against their ancient Jedi enemies. After centuries of preparation, the time came for the Sith to make their return.

With a massive fleet and an awe-inspiring army of fearless troops, the Sith Emperor launched a surprise assault, quickly capturing dozens of worlds in the Outer Rim, and sparking a war unlike any other in the galaxy's history.

From the frozen wastes of Ilum to the desert plains of Dathomir, violent battles killed untold millions. Despite its avowed neutrality, surface structures on the water-covered world of Manaan were completely destroyed, forcing the Selkath to retreat to their ocean underworld. Other star systems fared worse—some destroyed, others left uninhabitable. The carnage concluded with the Sith Empire sacking the Republic's capital planet of Coruscant and forcing the Republic Senate into the controversial Treaty of Coruscant.

In the years since the treaty, fear and uncertainty have gripped the galaxy, enabling the Sith Emperor to pursue his own mysterious purposes while the Republic has made efforts to rebuild its infrastructure and adjust military priorities to the new galactic landscape.

Now, tensions between the Republic and the Empire are running high, and a series of border skirmishes and proxy wars have broken out, even on planets as historically peaceful as Alderaan. The uneasy truce established by the Treaty of Coruscant is quickly tearing apart at the seams, and a return to all-out war has begun in all but official terms.

A new generation of heroes, both light and dark, emerges to face the difficulties of these chaotic times, and fight for the fate of the galaxy in this most desperate age.

Builds a few questions for me:
1. The game is going to be heavily story driven, how will this work in a universe that supposedly is going to constantly change?
2. How will becoming a Jedi/Sith work?
3. You'll have a choice of many different companions and this varies from the choices you make, will others be able to see your companions? I think it would be weird to see a million of the same companions running around.
4. WHEN WILL IT COME OUT?!