The Total Anime and Manga Recommendation/Suggestion Topic!

Started by LordKefka, October 31, 2008, 03:10:26 PM

Nanashi

If you're looking for depressing, read Saikano. That's some baww worthy stuff right there.

I haven't watched the anime though, so I'll just say to pick up the manga.
Co-Captain/"The one who talks too much" of MANime!
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,17203.0.html

potatofreek

I need a new manga to read. Anything similar to Bleach and D. Gray Man?
Potatoes Rule the World.
Deal with it.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Because I am too lazy to search for an anime myself, I have devised a plan...
To make a list of anime I have watched/are watching, put it up here, and have someone suggest me something good  ;D
that works right?

Anyways...

Big List

Afro Samurai                  ; Completed
Bleach                        ; Watching
Code Geass                    ; Completed
Cowboy Bebop                  ; Watching (Suprisingly)
Digimon (First 4 Seasons)     ; Completed
Digimon (5th Season)          ; Never
Eureka 7                      ; Completed
Full Metal Alchemist          ; Watching (Surprisingly)
Gundam 00                     ; Watching (Sadly)
Gurren Lagann                 ; Completed
Inyuasha                      ; Complete (Sadly)
Naruto                        ; Watching (When I am disturbed enough to)
Negima                        ; Completed
Neon Genesis Evangelion       ; Completed
One Piece                     ; Lost Track
Paranoia Agent                ; Complete
Pokemon                       ; Never
Powerpuff Girls Z             ; Watching
R.O.D. The TV                 ; Completed
Samurai Champloo              ; Completed
Soul Eater                    ; Watching
Trigun                        ; Lost Track
Vandread                      ; Completed
Welcome to the NHK            ; Completed
Yu-Gi-Oh                      ; Never (TCG is fun, anime fails)
Zatch Bell                    ; Lost Track

The list is incomplete right now (I know I am forgetting something), but that is a big chuck of them.
Now for suggestions...

I'm looking for something from the last 5 or so years that is worth the time (broad I know).

Please and Thank you

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

mDuo13

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 07, 2009, 10:48:17 PM

I'm looking for something from the last 5 or so years that is worth the time (broad I know).

Please and Thank you
Try Black Lagoon. I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

ultramangaia

To make a list of anime I have watched/are watching, put it up here, and have someone suggest me something good  ;D
that works right?

Anyways...

Big List

The list is incomplete right now (I know I am forgetting something), but that is a big chuck of them.
Now for suggestions...

Please and Thank you

I would say-Fate/stay night,the 2 Appleseed movies,the movie Akia,Guyver tv and Burst angel.

PyronIkari

Quote from: ultramangaia on February 09, 2009, 06:28:51 PM
I would say-Fate/stay night,the 2 Appleseed movies,the movie Akia,Guyver tv and Burst angel.

Fate/Stay Night and Burst Angel are two of the most horrible series made. Fate isn't THAT horrible, but so bad comparatively that I was horrified watching it. It's not as bad as Tsukihime atleast... but man...

Burst Angel is only to see pretty girls. The story, the continuity, all horrible. There is no depth, the action is terrible, it was just... HORRIBLE.

LordKefka

Man, I thought I was the only person who disliked Tsukihime :\
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

mDuo13

Quote from: LordKefka on February 09, 2009, 06:54:08 PM
No, I'm the only person who likes it.

LordKefka

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

that works right?

Anyways...

Big List

Now for suggestions...

Please and Thank you

I actually have seen the Appleseed movies.
Don't wish to watch the others, as PyronIkari says they aren't that great, as in my experiences here, he is usually right.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

koji

Quote from: mDuo13 on February 09, 2009, 07:28:47 PM
Quote from: LordKefka on February 09, 2009, 06:54:08 PM
No, I'm the only person who likes it.

There is no Tsukihime anime.  :-\

SOawesomeness

Migawd, I just re-discovered Wallflower. It is now one of my top 10 animes. o:
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Shadowfax

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 09, 2009, 07:51:18 PM
that works right?

Anyways...

Big List

Now for suggestions...

Please and Thank you

I actually have seen the Appleseed movies.
Don't wish to watch the others, as PyronIkari says they aren't that great, as in my experiences here, he is usually right.
Well looking at that list, seems like you enjoy a good adventure or action or shounen story. Here's a few anime that might catch your eye then (and some links to read more info on them)...

- Casshern Sins (Sci-Fi Drama / In the future when cyborgs and humans struggle to survive after the war, Casshern awakens and remembers nothing of his own past. / Possibly one of the best animes of '08, period)
- Ryoko's Case Files (Adventure Mystery / An investigator and the bizarre cases she faces while working for the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. / While it does have its flaws, a lot of people describe it as a just-plain fun anime, with one of the most likable lead characters in a while)

- Dennou Coil - A Circle of Children (Sci-Fi Adventure / In a futuristic time, the virtual world of Daikoku City is behaving strangely: pets and people are going missing, and dark entities known as "the Illegal" keep appearing. Sixth grader Yuko Okonogi has just moved to Daikoku City and soon joins the search for the reason behind these strange occurrences. / While the strange character designs take some getting used to, this anime places you in a very immersive world with a pretty interesting story. Definitely one of the best animes of 2007)
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Mecha Adventure / A boy who's never seen beyond his underground home country is surprised when a giant robot crashes through from the surface / I know this has almost as huge a biased fanbase as Naruto, but it does look like an old-fashioned fun action show)

- Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (Fantasy Drama / Albert had it all: wealth, loving parents, great friends. The only thing lacking in his life was excitement... until he met the mysterious Count of Monte Cristo. Just who is the mysterious Count, and what does he want? / This is an interesting twist on a famous classical story, and though there wasn't much action, the mystery of the Count and his grand plan kept me interested through the very end)
- Noein (Sci-Fi Adventure / A girl who has the power to affect alternate universes is asked to help stop a terrible multi-universal threat / Recommended mainly for patient viewers, this has intense action, a complex storyline, and emotional characters. This is a hit-or-miss anime-- many love it to the fullest, others say it was too slow or technical to follow. Either ways, it's at least worth checking out.)

- Kurau Phantom Memory (Sci-Fi Drama / A woman wakes up with an alien being symbioticaly inside of her, starts gaining powers, and flees for her life as she is hunted by the government / Another slower but excellent sci-fi anime, this has impressed quite a few people, though others wish it were a faster paced action-series. Looks very promising.)
- Monster (Mystery Thriller / Dr. Tenma one day comes across a child and saves his life not knowing that he's actually a monster. Unaware of his mistake, Dr. Tenma is about to be dragged into the worst set of serial murder cases to have ever been staged in Europe. / One of the best mystery or suspense animes ever created.)
- Mahou Shoujo Tai (Fantasy Adventure / Charming anime about a girl who loves magic, who falls into a realm where it is a tool of oppression and warfare. / This is a memorable anime that's fun, imaginative, if not a little warped. And although it proceeds at a very fast pace, it has a unique fairytale atmosphere that's undeniable charming. Definitely worth checking out.)

And if it's not tooo hard for you to appreciate the old-school anime look, these have fantastic stories too..

2002 and earlier
- RahXephon (Sci-fi Mecha / The entire world, except Tokyo, has been destroyed... or that was what Kamina Ayato was taught at school. When Tokyo is attacked, Ayato learns the truth and escapes the city in a secret weapon: RahXephon. Now Ayato is a pivotal part of a war he didn't know about, and a nightmare he doesn't want to take part in. / First of all, RahXephon is a thinker's anime. If you're open-minded to contemplate this series, to ask questions, just as the characters are asking the same hard questions themselves, then you are in for an extraordinary treat. This is a series that is powerful, intellectual, and beautiful at the same time, and gives a story experience that is rivaled by very few other titles.)
- Metropolis (Sci-fi Movie / Metropolis is a grand high-tech city-state populated by humans and robots alike. It is in these streets that Detective Shunsaku Ban and his sidekick Kenichi search for the rebel scientist Dr. Laughton and his new android... / Imaginative and visually epic movie that suffers from some minor concerns with story and characters, but still ends up with an interesting, and reasonably well told, story.)
- Princess Mononoke (Fantasy Drama Movie / Our hero, cursed and injured by a giant boar possessed by a demon, searches for a cure to the lethal curse / This is a must-see film. There are many great qualities surrounding this anime, but what is most amazing is the depth of the characters. Basically, this proves again that cartoons aren't just for children.)
- Crest of the Stars (Sci-Fi Adventure / When Jinto, whose world was taken over by the Abh empire, meets a princess of the Abh, Lafiel, the both of them are shot down during a patrol flight and stranded on a planet controlled by the enemy. / This is one of those rare just-plain-good space science-fiction series. The story and the unique point of view from which it's told make it a worthwhile series and a real must watch for sci-fi fans.)
- Hunter X Hunter (Shounen Adventure / Gon is a young boy whose father is a legendary Hunter, but whom Gon has never met. He believes that the only way to meet his father is to follow in his footsteps, and so he is determined to pass the Hunter exam himself to find him / This is a highly entertaining series. The action never stops, the characters are never dull, and the plot succeeds with a great mixture of comedy and drama. And although it isn't perfect, it's very addicting)
- Tsukikage Ran: Carried by the Wind (A series of episodes about the life of a wandering samurai named Ran, and her friend and fellow wanderer, Meow, a martial artist / Hahaha– a casual plotless samurai action comedy? Well this is a surprisingly fun and endearing series, and it's worth a look just for its unique combination of humor and adventure)
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Adventure Movie / A young princess in a battered world tries to save her village and humanity / Although this movie is over 20 years old and it shows, this is a classic and possibly one of the best anime films ever made. Beautiful, exciting, touching, imaginative, etc)
- Vision of Escaflowne (Fantasy Adventure / A freshman who enjoys telling fortunes is suddenly transported with a young dragon-slayer to a distant world / While not for all ages, this is a fantastical adventure series that is possibly one of the best examples of high fantasy anime.)

Esperado

So.
I run an anime club at my local library, and I've been looking around for some new anime to show.
The members are, pretty bunch, eigth graders and high school freshman.
I already have the Tegami Bachi OVA, but I'm not sure what else.
Preferably a short series that isn't too well known. I might go with Toradora!, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.
Any suggestions?
OH, I FORGOT TO SAVE.
>> nijyuushichi @ deviantART
>> ESPERADO @ Sheezyart
>> ESPERADO27 @ YouTube
>> the27 @ FFnet

LordKefka

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: Esperado on March 06, 2009, 10:10:46 PM
So.
I run an anime club at my local library, and I've been looking around for some new anime to show.
The members are, pretty bunch, eigth graders and high school freshman.
I already have the Tegami Bachi OVA, but I'm not sure what else.
Preferably a short series that isn't too well known. I might go with Toradora!, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.
Any suggestions?
How experienced are they?

ToraDora... will go over the heads of most people, seeing that it's written and directed for otaku. Any KugiRie show is.

SOawesomeness

Slayers, Saber Marionette J (... might want to screen some eppys), Black Jack (blood at times, surgical stuffs), Sailor Moon... Haha. Kamichama Karin (really girly), Azumanga Daioh, Gintama...
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Esperado

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 06, 2009, 10:25:50 PM

ToraDora... will go over the heads of most people, seeing that it's written and directed for otaku. Any KugiRie show is.

Experienced. We've all been into anime for a long time, and we know all the ropes.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, everyone. I think I'll show Azumanga at some point c:
OH, I FORGOT TO SAVE.
>> nijyuushichi @ deviantART
>> ESPERADO @ Sheezyart
>> ESPERADO27 @ YouTube
>> the27 @ FFnet

PyronIkari

Quote from: Esperado on March 06, 2009, 11:04:58 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on March 06, 2009, 10:25:50 PM

Experienced. We've all been into anime for a long time, and we know all the ropes.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, everyone. I think I'll show Azumanga at some point c:

That doesn't really answer my question. I know people that have been watching for a long time, but aren't really "experienced" in it.

I.E. Why is Moe-tan, moe-tan? Do they understand cultural references? Do they understand themes in anime(not as in, the theme of the anime... but themes in anime). Will they get parody references? Etc. etc.