Anime Video Game Cosplay Geek Clearing House > General Anime Chat

The Total Anime and Manga Recommendation/Suggestion Topic!

<< < (2/23) > >>

lalalandla:

--- Quote from: LordKefka on November 10, 2008, 08:51:08 PM ---Does it have to fit in the category of Eva's genre? Or did you simply mention Eva cause it's a depressing and confusing anime you've seen.

--- End quote ---

Just depressing/confusing in general is what I meant, doesn't have to be mecha.

Hakaru_chan:
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN! (i cried)  :'(

RaddaX2:
Welcome to NHK.
--- Quote from: lalalandla on November 10, 2008, 08:38:09 PM ---I'm looking for some anime that get seriously confusing and depressing towards the end, like Evangelion. Please help me :o

--- End quote ---

Welcome to the NHK, I dunno about confusing but I'd say it's a pretty depressing anime.  Depressing in the sense that the main character lives a very pitiful life style.

LordKefka:
There are a few ones I can think of. You can read the synopsis at ANN ( at least they are useful for that).

Kaiba - It's a very unique work by Madhouse which is confusing and only gets more confusing towards the end. Though I can't say I was a big fan of the structure, it does have certain good stand alone episodes to get you thinking. It's really not for everyone and you really have to see the value in an anime with art style like this one.

Kino's Journey - Well, it's not THAT confusing or so extremely depressing, but it's a very good, thought provoking episodic anime. The title is really what it says. I mean, not to sound stale but it's about Kino and all the journey to follow that person. Read more in the synopsis.

Denno Coil -  Another great work by Madhouse. It's as thought provoking as any and leaves you with a bitter sad yet sweet feeling in the end. With this anime, I think the biggest task was keeping the surprise from the audience and keep them wondering what's going on till the very end. Check this out if you haven't.

Melody of Oblivion - I never thought I would be recommending this, but here is one of those no-titles that never really took off even after Geneon licensed it. I think it's one of those lower Gainax's work, but it does its job in keeping you thinking " wtf is this ****" and leaves you some what teary in the end. Not really depressing as opposed to being GAINAX'D all over the place. Again, read the synopsis.

Noein - Another one of those thought provoking anime is bitter sweet until the very end. It's confusing because they go into quantum mechanics (yeah I know... what the hell). I mean, it doesn't have complete mind blowing concepts but it leaves you guessing. Has some pretty depressing moments too.

Shigofumi - It has a mysterious premise from start and has probably the most depressing first arc I have seen in a long while (since then of course). If anything, that first arc will get you rolling (if not the rest of the series).

Anyways, that's a few you should check out for now. They aren't confusing to the point where it's stupid and they certainly don't ALL get insanely depressing with each advancing episode. Enjoy!

PyronIkari:

--- Quote from: RaddaX2 on November 10, 2008, 09:10:52 PM ---Welcome to NHK.
--- Quote from: lalalandla on November 10, 2008, 08:38:09 PM ---I'm looking for some anime that get seriously confusing and depressing towards the end, like Evangelion. Please help me :o

--- End quote ---

Welcome to the NHK, I dunno about confusing but I'd say it's a pretty depressing anime.  Depressing in the sense that the main character lives a very pitiful life style.

--- End quote ---

NHK wasn't depressing because the main character lives a very pitiful life style... and if you found NHK depressing in that sense, you completely missed the point of the entire series. The main character in NHK CHOSE to live that life style and MADE DECISIONS to live that life style. Within the series alone he had multiple opportunities to exit his choices, he had multiple opportunities to better himself, and he chose not to.

--- Quote ---TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN! (i cried)  Cry
--- End quote ---

Besides it being one of the most straight forward series' ever created... it wasn't depressing, it was inspiring(which was the main theme of the series).

--- Quote ---I'm looking for some anime that get seriously confusing and depressing towards the end, like Evangelion. Please help me Shocked
--- End quote ---

But the inherent problem is in the first post. Eva wasn't confusing... and the ed. wasn't depressing. The ED was supposed to be anything but depressing. LOLOL SHINJI FINALLY GROWS BALLS AND GROWS UP... YAY HAPPY.  Sure the mankind dies minus two people, but Shinji grows up, and that's the entire point of the series.

But I will ignore the "like eva" part and suggest series.

Paranoia Agent- Despite most people disliking the series, it is a rather in depth look at Japan's mentality of rumors, events, what actually happens, and what people say happens. It's very misleading in that whose perspective you're really supposed to see this series in. I'll give you a hint though(not that this hint will spoil anything because it's really meaningless) it's not any of the main characters at all. The ED is depressing in the sense that, it's really a jab at humanity and how we really are, in a very realistic sense. It's not some over bearing generic message, but a proof of every day life that is witnessed.

Noein, although it was a series I love, doesn't really fit the "thought provoking/depressing". The series itself isn't thought provoking at all. It wasn't confusing, it was just told in a way where you had to wait for the next episode to understand what happened. There's a lot of quantum physics stuff mentioned, but it can realistically all be ignored and dumbed down into three simple phrases, of which I won't spoil. So I do suggest people watch it(if you can get pass the unique art style), but it doesn't fit the criteria really.

Boogiepop Phantom- Really, there's not much for me to say about this series. It's good, watch it.

Haibane Renmei- Another great series. This one actually isn't confusing, more than it is about self discovery. It's not open ended but allows the viewer to imagine a great deal of things for themselves. It's a series I usually suggest for people that want to get into a series that really makes them think and try to figure out what each message really means.

Perfect Blue- Which is considered a classic in hundreds of senses. You can easily look it up for yourself.

Chaos;Head- which is still airing. I don't know exactly which path it's following so I can't tell you exactly if it's depressing or not. But it is very confusing and thought provoking in a sense of trying to differentiate between reality and delusions.

I'm totally blanking right now, so I'll just leave it with those.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version