So what's the general rule about weapons on cosplay?

Started by RaddaX2, November 02, 2008, 02:23:50 PM

RaddaX2

I know that guns need to be piece bonded but how about the swords?  What's the rule on that?  honest question, I'm new to this.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Hakaru_chan

Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

Yukari Kaiba

basically no live steel, dull or not - it will be zip-tied into the sheath. Wooden swords and other non-metal materials should be ok. But the weapon's policy seems to differ year to year, so your best bet is to wait until the 09 policy comes out or make sure your sword isn't made out of metal.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

laganndriller

ORE WO DARE DA TOMOTTEYAGARU

RaddaX2

Of course you guys know me.  Radda radda.

Btw thanks for the heads up.  I'll make sure to bring wood.

h-chan

They basically peace tie everything to you. I had a whip my friend made for me and they peace tied it to me and rolled it up and peace tied it to itself. I couldn't even pose with it! It made me so mad. I don't normally do cosplay with weapons because their rules get more strict every year.

RaddaX2

wow ya know it just occurred to me but was this thread always in the "Big Event Showcase"?  Swear I remember having this in the cosplay or general convention section

ewu

Quote from: RaddaX2 on December 10, 2008, 06:08:32 PM
wow ya know it just occurred to me but was this thread always in the "Big Event Showcase"?  Swear I remember having this in the cosplay or general convention section

There was a reorg. Cosplay was moved under BES to reflect the division that department is under. That's why musicfest and B+W ball is now under here too.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

As a general rule.

Aluminum piping and stuff like that. Stuff that is solid metal. Big no no. No solid metal objects like pipes, bats, etc. on your weapons.
Aluminum FOIL, that is fine.

As for the previous comments on the weapons. One stupid person, who was irresponsible with their weapons, make it so that other con attendees pay the price for that stupidity. The rules get stricter every year because people every year find new ways to be irresponsible with their weapons. Don't be irresponsible, we wouldn't need all these rules. Think about it before getting mad at the people who have headaches every year writing the rules over and over again.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

namineartbook

So no for aluminum sheets on top of foam. I would assume.

ewu

Weapons Policy from '08

Not guaranteed to be the same, but it SHOULD be OK. Please check it when the 2009 policy comes out.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

namineartbook

Quote from: Steve.Young on January 18, 2009, 10:39:29 PM
Quote from: namineartbook on January 18, 2009, 02:07:59 PM
So no for aluminum sheets on top of foam. I would assume.

Foil on foam is fine.

Not aluminum foil, aluminum sheets. I'm assuming that's a no?

Steve.Young

Depends...if you can get me a link to the type of sheets you are going to use, I can talk to the other department heads.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

namineartbook

Quote from: Steve.Young on January 19, 2009, 08:44:08 PM
Depends...if you can get me a link to the type of sheets you are going to use, I can talk to the other department heads.

Can't find a link, but it's only called .02 aluminum sheets. -_-; so vague.

Rette

That's pretty thin stuff. I used 0.01 Stainless Steel last year to make armor.
If you're using it to cover a weapon, it's not exactly made from metal. It can't hold an edge. Besides, aluminum that thin would just dent if you hit anything with it. Just make sure you're tidy with your edges since you can get some super nasty paper cuts (but with metal, so deeper and more painful).

I'm not staff or anything so I can't give you a definitive answer, but I did use similar materials last year with no problems, albeit not on a weapon.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Jidai Geki

Eric or Steve,

My CosPlay will have a plastic (Hollow PVC) walking stick as an accessory.  Could you please advise if I will have to have this item Peace Bonded at the Con.

Thanks for all your hard work on the Con.

Kanzake

its no props with metal to hold its shape. IE a katana or a keyblade that has a pipe as its core and has other materials around it to conceal it.
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku