Prop 8 debate

Started by L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu, November 04, 2008, 02:41:14 PM

Jun-Watarase

Adding on with the things mentioned, it's obvious that most of the "pros" to prop 8 are mindless propaganda for closed-minded idiots to eat up, making false points of why people against same-sex marriage should feel threatened with idiotic claims like "Oh no! Your children are going to be corrupted by learning about gay marriage if we don't make it illegal!" or "This goes against my religion so you're denying my right to freedom of religion!" Blah blah blah, BS.

It's funny that you're worried about your children learning about homosexuality, when you're only 17 and you probably have known about it for years without schools educating you about it at all. What difference does it make when it becomes legally acceptable? Well, for one thing, it allows people to finally feel that it's okay to love another person regardless of sex and gender without it feeling dirty and illegal. It takes away the pressure of the law discriminating them and unfairly disallowing them to marry one another. Aren't those positive things?

And what positive outcome comes from denying them of this? Oh, right. So more children can be bred to end up just like you and make these people feel that they're wrong for loving another person because they both have the same sexual organs biologically and that it's their fault that they were born that way.

As for it being a threat to religious freedom... and by this, I mean exclusively Christian faith, exclusively... a lot of things are technically against religious beliefs. Why aren't those banned too? And really, why should the law cater to your religion when not everyone obviously possesses the same beliefs. If you strongly feel that you should maintain your beliefs and apply them to your family, then do so. Not everyone else has to.

I'm all for equal legal rights and all, but man. I'm feeling bitter that people that have plans to breed their children to become discriminating bigots actually have their own right to procreate.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Chewie

PyronIkari

Just to shed some light on that add about children learning about gay marriage in 2nd grade.

Those pictures weren't about learning gay marriage in second grade. That was an actual wedding of a teacher who happened to be getting married to someone of the same sex. The 2nd grade kids were brought to the wedding as GUESTS WITH THEIR PARENTS. The teacher let the parents know that they were getting married, and the parents CHOSE TO TAKE THEIR CHILDREN TO THE SAME SEX MARRIAGE.

^^

But it's for the kids right? Now parents don't have the choice to take their children to same sex marriages. It's sad to know that even California is filled with ignorant sheep that want to blame homosexuals for their "childrens' mistakes".

K&K4ever

has anyone seen the latest polls? I really hope this bull shit proposition got voted down!
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

o_o Whooooa... I'll just sit back and watch since I can't actually vote. Not sure really what to say, though, but my opinion remains the same. I'm don't think I can, or will, give some long over written opinion on why someone should or should'nt vote on it, but my opinion remians the same. I DID, however find out some very interesting info on the the prop that kinda swayed my opinion, but, -shurgs- I still says vote Yush.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 02:41:24 AM
Adding on with the things mentioned, it's obvious that most of the "pros" to prop 8 are mindless propaganda for closed-minded idiots to eat up, making false points of why people against same-sex marriage should feel threatened with idiotic claims like "Oh no! Your children are going to be corrupted by learning about gay marriage if we don't make it illegal!" or "This goes against my religion so you're denying my right to freedom of religion!" Blah blah blah, BS.

It's funny that you're worried about your children learning about homosexuality, when you're only 17 and you probably have known about it for years without schools educating you about it at all. What difference does it make when it becomes legally acceptable? Well, for one thing, it allows people to finally feel that it's okay to love another person regardless of sex and gender without it feeling dirty and illegal. It takes away the pressure of the law discriminating them and unfairly disallowing them to marry one another. Aren't those positive things?

And what positive outcome comes from denying them of this? Oh, right. So more children can be bred to end up just like you and make these people feel that they're wrong for loving another person because they both have the same sexual organs biologically and that it's their fault that they were born that way.

As for it being a threat to religious freedom... and by this, I mean exclusively Christian faith, exclusively... a lot of things are technically against religious beliefs. Why aren't those banned too? And really, why should the law cater to your religion when not everyone obviously possesses the same beliefs. If you strongly feel that you should maintain your beliefs and apply them to your family, then do so. Not everyone else has to.

I'm all for equal legal rights and all, but man. I'm feeling bitter that people that have plans to breed their children to become discriminating bigots actually have their own right to procreate.
This is abit much, I just don't want kids to learn about it in schools. I don't think kids will grow up to be bigots or discriminate just because they don't teach it in schools... It's amazing how may folks just blew up over this Prop.

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Quote from: Kazuko on November 04, 2008, 04:15:59 PM
One of my closest friends is a Lesbian, and she has been picked on at school for being one. She used to live in a town where apparently being gay is a sin. She had to hide it all her life untill she moved out of that town, It makes me sick that people think like that, that some people are so closed minded. It makes me sick that kids keep saying gay or queer and picking on someone for being gay.

Honestly marriage isnt taught in schools, But you know thats like saying if we remove sex ed in schools so we should let the kids not know what a penis and a vagina is or that they shouldnt be taught safe sex?

Kids should be taught to treat all equal regardless

Hey the same situation happened with inter-racial marriages and now gay-marriage is the next step up. I want to see equal marriage for everyone regardless of sexual orientation.

I already voted No on 8, my friend says people who vote yes on 8 vote for hate

Edit: funny for someone who has a yaoi-esque avatar for this debate

I smell hypocrite
I don't actually have anything against gays and lesbians, and this goes back to my post uptop, I just don't want it to be taught in schools. But, like I said uptop, I did abit of research and found out that they won't ,or so they say, teach it in schools so my opinion has been kinda swayed...

rude32

Way to backtrack your post. Maybe next time you should research before you post.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Rei-Rei

Quote from: L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu on November 05, 2008, 10:14:01 AM
Quote from: Kazuko on November 04, 2008, 04:15:59 PM
One of my closest friends is a Lesbian, and she has been picked on at school for being one. She used to live in a town where apparently being gay is a sin. She had to hide it all her life untill she moved out of that town, It makes me sick that people think like that, that some people are so closed minded. It makes me sick that kids keep saying gay or queer and picking on someone for being gay.

Honestly marriage isnt taught in schools, But you know thats like saying if we remove sex ed in schools so we should let the kids not know what a penis and a vagina is or that they shouldnt be taught safe sex?

Kids should be taught to treat all equal regardless

Hey the same situation happened with inter-racial marriages and now gay-marriage is the next step up. I want to see equal marriage for everyone regardless of sexual orientation.

I already voted No on 8, my friend says people who vote yes on 8 vote for hate

Edit: funny for someone who has a yaoi-esque avatar for this debate

I smell hypocrite
I don't actually have anything against gays and lesbians, and this goes back to my post uptop, I just don't want it to be taught in schools. But, like I said uptop, I did abit of research and found out that they won't ,or so they say, teach it in schools so my opinion has been kinda swayed...

It isn't. As far as my 14 years of highschool goes, they don't teach about marriage at school....
So what's with people complaining that they will teach about same-sex marriage??
Besides, if they WERE to teach anything about marriage or sex ed, most teachers would send home a letter for the parents to sign that they are letting the teachers teach their kids about sex-ed... If you don't sign it, well your kid doesn't have to learn about it and he/she will just do something else.

I don't understand why you are using kids as an excuse for your own beliefs, you have your rights, gays and lesbians should have theirs.
As far as I'm aware of right now, I have not met a person has given me a valid reason for yes on prop 8.

Glitch

Looks like stupidity triumphs. I wish the "no on 8" ads would have focused on the civil rights movement from the get go. The fundamentalist had to much control of the momentum. But this isn't the end. The prop didn't pass by a huge majority, so we'll probably hear about this in the next election.(like in two years)

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

It's being challenged by S.F. I think they'er taking it to court or some crap. I was hopeing this would be over... But it guess the topic was too controvercial.

Mizuki

This is why we can't have good things.

This thread is actually quite helpful, I'm not sorry to use you as the guinea pig of this.

People like you voted for Prop 8. Ignorant, believing what the ads say WITHOUT research. This is what makes me lose faith in humanity, and the american people. This prop will NOT force teachers to teach about gay marriage. Where the hell does it say this? How people are getting people to vote yes on prop 8 is ANCIENT technics, they twist and bend the truth to their will, and it apparently worked.

People blew up over this prop because of the crappy wording it was, the confusing manner of it overall, and the arguments for prop 8. It's dumb, it's bullcrap, and it's standard.

Chun

Well, on the flip side, now it's a national ignorance statistic.

If anyone who had a smidge of intelligence sat down and read the actual proposition paragraph, voting No would have been an obvious move because it simply shoves religion down liberty's throat.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

K&K4ever

Quote from: Chun on November 05, 2008, 11:33:17 AM
Well, on the flip side, now it's a national ignorance statistic.

If anyone who had a smidge of intelligence sat down and read the actual proposition paragraph, voting No would have been an obvious move because it simply shoves religion down liberty's throat.

~Chun

If the law suit dosen't get that overturned, then there is a chance that we can get it overturned in the voting booth, this time with the facts strait, some time in the near future.

I'll tell you one thing though, the fact that this bull shit prop got passed, has taken all the euphoria out of the fact that Obama won.
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

Chun

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/title-sum/prop8-title-sum.htm

Quote from: Official CA StatementELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME–SEX COUPLES TO MARRY. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT.

* Changes the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry in California.
    * Provides that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.

Summary of Legislative Analyst's Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal Impact:

* Over the next few years, potential revenue loss, mainly from sales taxes, totaling in the several tens of millions of dollars, to state and local governments.
    * In the long run, likely little fiscal impact on state and local governments.

Nowhere does it imply the prevention of children to learn about gay or lesbian relations in their statitues, it is simply banning a right.

This is all most of YES voters had to read to understand what was going on. Instead they took a spoonful of lies.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Yukari Kaiba

It's so disheartening to see this proposition pass. I had hoped that anyone with a conscious for equality would have seen that Prop 8 is basically legalizing discrimination in a country where supposedly everyone should be treated equally. I'm really hoping the law suit goes well - Prop 8 isn't any different from when biracial marriages were outlawed or when Armenians weren't allowed to live in the Central Valley.
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

Gatsby

Mikey, we share the same ideas on this, though I believe you put it down better than I ever could have.

Mister_E

From what a friend told me with 8 being passed the Gay and Lesbian groups to fight this in court and have it overturned because it's not equal rights. Then across the country all the other Anti-Gay marriage states will have to do the same and hopefully with some time all of the US with allow Gay Marriage. That's what I he told me.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

How come people are getting so mad about the people who are for it, though? How come people can't have the right to just disagree? I understand that this law is discriminating against Gays and Lesbians, and that is wrong. But suppose people did vote No on it all together and there were those few who thought Yes on it but didn't have the discrimination in mind, or just didn't want for vote No for their own reasons, why are they such bad people?
In America people can have their opinions and perspectives, just as I have mine, and thats why I posted this Topic, to see other peoples perspectives and opinions on this Prop, but now as I read these posts and get called all theses names... I notices things about folk. If someone can answer why its so bad to just disagree sometimes.. I think I might just be content. When I put the childish name calling aside, I understand where people are coming from, I think everyone should have the right to do what they want, but I want to know why people can't vote YES on this prop with out coming out as a bad person, or and idiot, or ignorant.