Prop 8 debate

Started by L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu, November 04, 2008, 02:41:14 PM

LordKefka

Ok this is beating a dead horse now.

OP next time if you want a debate, don't make a topic telling people what they should do, come up with lame "reasons" for why they should (like it should even happen to begin with), and troll the rest of posts you make with three word responses when you don't know how else to rebuttal other posts by people who are were sincerely trying to debate with you. It's insulting.

Just advice for the future... I guess.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Mizuki

This is in no way beating a dead horse. People out there are still like the op, and I encourage everyone who sees this topic to post how they feel, 75% of this thread is what I dreamed of this forum to be.

LordKefka

Quote from: LordKefka on November 05, 2008, 09:15:53 PM
Ok this is beating a dead horse now.

OP next time if you want a debate, don't make a topic telling people what they should do, come up with lame "reasons" for why they should (like it should even happen to begin with), and troll the rest of posts you make with three word responses when you don't know how else to rebuttal other posts by people who are were sincerely trying to debate with you. It's insulting.

Just advice for the future... I guess.

Carry on...
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

And yet, it's ridiculous that Leslie, who even bothered to create this thread, STILL hasn't even attempted at addressing any of the points mentioned or brought up any valid argument to support herself.

Really, the only thing I've read from her so far is this BS about, "I don't think it's discriminating. I just don't want it taught in schools." when it was already explained that marriage, gay or not, isn't even taught in the average school curriculum.

Seriously, is the fear of kids learning about something they will some day be exposed to really worth taking away the right for an entire demographic to marry?

I've talked to other people too, more traditional and of older age briefly, and those who are strongly held to their own traditions are difficult to sway, but as for the more liberal types of that age group, they don't show much support either, except with "Just be patient. It'll happen eventually anyway." and/or "It doesn't really affect me, since I'm not gay, but I think it's fine either way."

Even though that's far from satisfactory, fact is, America will evolve above ridiculously stupid people like OP and change will happen.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

I wrote a post and it disappeared.

Uh well... I'll just summarize.

There is a difference between ignorant and stupid... however there is "choosing to be ignorant". Leslie isn't stupid, she just chooses to be ignorant. Maybe some day when the child starts to grow up she might decide to try and learn something.

Frankly, the mods should ban her for her disrespect to the rules of what this forum represents(Hint... this is the serious forum).

rude32

Quotewhile most of the people who voted yes on prop8 are older people who grew up thinking it's bad, like my parents and there parents.
Unfortunatey, most of these people live in the central valley, and all of them hate when you express a different viewpoints. Oh well, I never had much hope for this area anyway.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Steve.Young

Have you guys seen the map of the counties that voted on Prop 8? The Bay Area up and down the coast was NO....while the rest of California was YES.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Steve.Young on November 05, 2008, 11:11:45 PM
Have you guys seen the map of the counties that voted on Prop 8? The Bay Area up and down the coast was NO....while the rest of California was YES.

Oh the irony. I blame those god damned Asians.

Forgive me for the humor, but I'm half-serious.

EDIT: Wait, nevermind. I came to the realization that most of the Asians that would be for Prop 8 don't even bother voting. =P

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

Religion is a powerful thing.

K&K4ever

It's almost like the last presidential election, where all the states on the cost lines (east and west) were blue and all the states in between were red.

All the people on the coast have open minds, and all the people inland have closed minds. 

The Coast Line Gives Us BRAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIINS (sorry, I couldn't resist)
The sun was raising up above the high
and dense entangled spider's web.  The dew
was dripping from the silky strings and down
through canopy to underbrush.  It splashed
the puddle making one more fountain spring.

rude32

Quote from: K&K4ever on November 05, 2008, 11:41:24 PM

It's almost like the last presidential election, where all the states on the cost lines (east and west) were blue and all the states in between were red.

All the people on the coast have open minds, and all the people inland have closed minds. 

Yup thats how it is. The valleys are a cespool of ignorance.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: rude32 on November 05, 2008, 11:43:46 PM

I would suspect that it's because people living in coast lines are exposed to more things in general. You can't really blame people for being ignorant when they don't have any material to actually learn these things from.

FanimaidCafe.com

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: rude32 on November 05, 2008, 11:05:28 PM
Quotewhile most of the people who voted yes on prop8 are older people who grew up thinking it's bad, like my parents and there parents.
Unfortunatey, most of these people live in the central valley, and all of them hate when you express a different viewpoints. Oh well, I never had much hope for this area anyway.
My Grandparent's on my dads side.
There Mormon, they think god is law, and they contributed to the 8.4 or so million dollars from Mormons on the yes on 8.
And I know there also racist, they talk badly about everything thats not white.
And don't get me started about my family reunion last summer (in which case, I had to sit in a cabin the middle of nowhere in Utah(go figure), being eaten alive by bugs, and my ear drum got screwed up on the flights, in which case it is still screwed up...).

It's sad to see the older people in society (who supposedly are wise) showing so much stupidity.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

K&K4ever

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 11:59:11 PM

I would suspect that it's because people living in coast lines are exposed to more things in general. You can't really blame people for being ignorant when they don't have any material to actually learn these things from.

Or maybe we get more exposure because of the coast line.  That's where all the ports are and where the imports come in

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: K&K4ever on November 06, 2008, 12:06:17 AM
Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 11:59:11 PM

Or maybe we get more exposure because of the coast line.  That's where all the ports are and where the imports come in

Yeah, that was implied.

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on November 06, 2008, 12:05:08 AM
Quote from: rude32 on November 05, 2008, 11:05:28 PM
My Grandparent's on my dads side.
There Mormon, they think god is law, and they contributed to the 8.4 or so million dollars from Mormons on the yes on 8.
And I know there also racist, they talk badly about everything thats not white.
And don't get me started about my family reunion last summer (in which case, I had to sit in a cabin the middle of nowhere in Utah(go figure), being eaten alive by bugs, and my ear drum got screwed up on the flights, in which case it is still screwed up...).

It's sad to see the older people in society (who supposedly are wise) showing so much stupidity.

As condescending as it sounds, it's because of the lack of exposure to things that normally restricts that part of America to evolve. A lot of their ideals and views are outdated and are accepted by sheep who reject anything that is "different" from the majority in fear of whatever threat they supposedly come with.

People on the coast would find a lot of these people "underdeveloped" whereas people within in inner states would find us "crazy and wild". Though, I'm surprised that even the majority of people in the Bay hold this strongly to something so ridiculously stupid.

FanimaidCafe.com

Mizuki

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 05, 2008, 11:05:10 PM
I wrote a post and it disappeared.

Uh well... I'll just summarize.

There is a difference between ignorant and stupid... however there is "choosing to be ignorant". Leslie isn't stupid, she just chooses to be ignorant. Maybe some day when the child starts to grow up she might decide to try and learn something.

Frankly, the mods should ban her for her disrespect to the rules of what this forum represents(Hint... this is the serious forum).

I thought of banning her, but gave her the warning so she can answer the damn questions people left for her.

p.s. Op has a 24 hours to answer the questions left for her. I hope you can answer them.

Chun

Just for the sake of being clear:

The following is based on the LEGAL TEXT, NOT TELEVISION:

All this "protect children" and "forced marriage education" business is not mentioned in the text of the law. In the actual statement made in the California voter guide (Official .gov), there is no mandate requiring ANYTHING to be taught or banned from teaching given the proposition does/does not go through.

In other words, voters assumed if NO was passed on the proposition, a new law would be passed that reforms district teachings (Which is false).

THERE IS NO SUCH CONSEQUENCE. It simply removes the right for homosexual couples to marry. That's it.

There's no such child protection act or banning in schools. In fact, the education system HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PROPOSITION FINE TEXT.

This isn't a matter of tolerance for free speech. This is a matter of Californians failing to actually research what mess they approved.

http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/title-sum/prop8-title-sum.htm

Show me where it protects Children. It does not.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

Chewie

I've a new level of respect for Jun and Pyron. Not to mention Chun. Well said, all of you.

Mizuki, also glad you caught the troll doing exactly that after getting hammered on for 4 pages.

Utterly ridiculous.

Maybe that petition will get the numbers it needs and this will all become moot.

Here's to hoping.

K&K4ever

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Oh, boy... I might get banned?

Not really sure what exactly I can say to that other do what you want. If your going to ban me for THIS then... so be it. Have fun, I guess.

I was actually planning on locking this thread since I didn't really see much of a point to having it open anymore... But I suppose that would be defeating the purpose of even putting it up. Folks can put up their opinions just as I can put up mine.