I'm going to be making onigiri from my group next fanime, any advice?

Started by RaddaX2, November 05, 2008, 03:09:02 PM

RaddaX2

I remember seeing a thread where some stated that the best foods to pack were the foods that are best consumed cold.  Onigiri sounds perfect.  I've never made it though and so far the only type of filling I know of is the salted salmon.  Any one have any advice?  Like what other fillings are there, how to make them, and most importantly how to store them? I know I'm not supposed to pack them with the nori on them but how long do I have until they start to go bad?  I'm planning to make alot so I might make them over night.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Mizuki

Red bean is common too, also seaweed paste, or that's how my dad makes it. They can usually stay good for atleast a day when wrapped in saran wrap, anymore you should put it in a little container with some ice.

RaddaX2

Suppose I was going to make +24, how would I store them in the cooler? could I stack them on each other or would I need a make shift rack inside of the cooler?
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Mizuki

Quote from: RaddaX2 on November 05, 2008, 03:44:40 PM
Suppose I was going to make +24, how would I store them in the cooler? could I stack them on each other or would I need a make shift rack inside of the cooler?

I just stack them if there's that many.

Kazuko

Salmon, Pickled Plum (umeboshi), Steak bits and even chicken are some fillings inside, along with hot dog slices
My friend made killer veggie onigiri X) I love salmon in my filling

Jun-Watarase

I normally make my own with umeboshi, but since not everyone likes umeboshi, I either fill them with pickled vegetables or marinated salted-tuna. I have a mold for making onigiri, but I still feel you should work the rice with your hands first. It's pretty simple.

Take the amount of rice you want in a big bowl or something so you can grab from it. Lay a sheet of saran wrap on the table to wrap the onigiri with. Wet your hands so they're moist, put some salt in them and rub your hands together before handling the rice so it'll help add flavor to the blandness of rice and keep it from sticking to your hands. Mold the rice into the general ball shape, put it on on the saran wrap, push in a hole in the middle and fill it with whatever you want, then cover it up with more rice. Then, make the shape neater by fixing it up by molding it with the saran wrap as you wrap the entire thing for storage.

What I like to do is top the rice with furikake for flavor and color. Sometimes, depending on what type of furikake you get, mixing the rice together with them stains the rice with colors like pink, purple, green, etc naturally.

I guess it's kind of difficult to explain exactly without visuals, but hopefully that was clear enough. Normally, you store the onigiri itself separate from nori because the nori will become soggy if left on the rice for too long. Just wrap it with nori when you're ready to eat it. I normally buy a pack or two of plastic made for wrapping onigiri with a separate compartment for nori.

It's all generally pretty easy, so I'm sure you can figure it out yourself. Sorry if I made things a bit complicated, but since it is a very simple snack, it's nice to add things here and there so it tastes good.  I'm normally too lazy to make onigiri these days, and I feel that it's pretty much the same taste to just pack some rice and things to eat with it. lol

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

TC X0 Lt 0X

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LordKefka

It's actually pretty easy to make (did it at a Japanese cultural thingy at my University). All you need is like... different stuff in your rice, take a seaweed, and make it look like it's a triangle...

...and if you want to be fancy, go with this...

>_>;...*runs away*

And oh yeah. The whole thing about using the saran wrap... yeah. For the love of God use it unless you plan to turn your own hand into an onigiri..-_-;

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

XpHoBiaX

You must tell me where to find you if you make onigiri!!

I haven't had onigiri in forever! T_T

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Jun-Watarase

Again, onigiri is supposed to be a very simple snack to make. Take rice out of the cooker, mold it into a ball, fill it with whatever sh*t you want, wrap in nori. The description I gave above is just more detailed and has tips as to how to make it decently. w

It's convenient to bring around with you once you're done, but if you don't want to go through the trouble if you're just going to eat it right afterwards anyway, just eat whatever you'd fill it with in a bowl of rice. It tastes about the same. o_0

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

I dun have a rice cooker...and I sorta have a defunct kitchen....Can't stick anything that will freeze in the fridge...cuz it freezes everything. @_@
And we don't have a stove. The microwave rice SUCKS btw.
I'll love you long time if you make some for me?
;>_>
o.O

2010 cosplay...?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 05, 2008, 11:13:51 PM
I dun have a rice cooker...and I sorta have a defunct kitchen....Can't stick anything that will freeze in the fridge...cuz it freezes everything. @_@
;>_>
o.O

Sure, why not. I don't remember how far you lived though.

But yeah, as an Asian, rice-cookers are essential. Go buy one, plug it in, keep a good supply of rice handy. It goes with everything. :U

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

You know..

Traditionally rice weren't made with rice cookers..-_-;

Just grab a pot, fill it with rice and water, and let it go with a little room for steam to come out. It's not hard really.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Chun

Plain rice is enough. (Seaweed Included)

A dash of salt is all it needs.

Frankly, stuff short-grain rice into a small shape and add a piece of nori for wrapping.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

LordKefka

Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

XpHoBiaX

I don't have a stove. So I can't do what you said, LordKefka. But i'll keep that in mind for when/IF we have a working kitchen.
@_@

Well, I live in Ione....so you may have to wait until I am at fanime. Cuz no one likes to drive out here, and that is the only time I can come down to visit. T_T

2010 cosplay...?

LordKefka

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 05, 2008, 11:25:52 PM
I don't have a stove. So I can't do what you said, LordKefka. But i'll keep that in mind for when/IF we have a working kitchen.
@_@

Well, I live in Ione....so you may have to wait until I am at fanime. Cuz no one likes to drive out here, and that is the only time I can come down to visit. T_T

Damn. So you're kitchen is just ...a sink? xD
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

XpHoBiaX

Yep. Seriously. We've been going through some tough times...and everything has decided to go all at one time. X_X

2010 cosplay...?

LordKefka

Eating crappy hospital food isn't exactly glamorous for me either...=\
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

rude32

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on November 05, 2008, 11:20:04 PM
Quote from: XpHoBiaX on November 05, 2008, 11:13:51 PM
;>_>
o.O

Sure, why not. I don't remember how far you lived though.

But yeah, as an Asian, rice-cookers are essential. Go buy one, plug it in, keep a good supply of rice handy. It goes with everything. :U
Whoa, can I have some as well?
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer