Music-fest

Started by the4ork, November 08, 2008, 12:39:33 PM

the4ork

How about bringing japanfiles back and having Music-Fest NOT suck ass.
I mean, seriously, WTH happened?!?
2006 was GREAT! Mothercoat, Goofystyle, Guitar Vader, Swinging Popsicle, Miami, and the likes. I'll PERSONALLY ask them if they want to come to fanime, christ. If not directly to the band, I know the us-branch owner/manager of Japan Files (met him twice- once at fanime when I got my guitar signed by mothercoat and again at Sakuracon 07 when I got Lin Clover to sign my guitar). I had a great time talking to the bands during the convention- really interactive and chill. Or how about getting Lin Clover to show up and play a concert? I could easily ask them also.

This past 2 years the "music-fest" has completely sucked. What bands played in 07/08? Where were the signs that pointed to where they were performing? There was like absolutely NO advertising for any of the bands.
Completely disappointing for the past 2 years. Who the heck runs the show? Christ, you guy's really don't know wtf you're doing. >.>

-the4ork
Fanime '99 - Never forget, never forgive.

Too many cons to list for attendance,
Too many cons to list for staff.

RETIRED 05.26.2008
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10858.0.html
Clickey clickey :D

GokuMew2

Quote from: the4ork on November 08, 2008, 12:39:33 PM
I'll PERSONALLY ask them if they want to come to fanime, christ.

Don't do that unless you're an official con rep and have permission.
You'd cause trouble for the con if you asked because "Do you want to come to Fanime?" would translate to "You're invited, would you like to come?" and I doubt they are. The only thing that could have been handled better was coordination of WHEN the tickets would be given out. Everything else was perfect.

QuoteThis past 2 years the "music-fest" has completely sucked. What bands played in 07/08? Where were the signs that pointed to where they were performing? There was like absolutely NO advertising for any of the bands.

Uh, where were you? Did you not see the huge-ass line for An Cafe both for tickets and to get in?? There were tons of notices all around the con and the info was on the website as well.

QuoteCompletely disappointing for the past 2 years. Who the heck runs the show? Christ, you guy's really don't know wtf you're doing. >.>

A bit harsh, aren't you? It takes a lot to run a con.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

LordKefka

Quote from: the4ork on November 08, 2008, 12:39:33 PM
How about bringing japanfiles back and having Music-Fest NOT suck ass.
I mean, seriously, WTH happened?!?
2006 was GREAT! Mothercoat, Goofystyle, Guitar Vader, Swinging Popsicle, Miami, and the likes. I'll PERSONALLY ask them if they want to come to fanime, christ. If not directly to the band, I know the us-branch owner/manager of Japan Files (met him twice- once at fanime when I got my guitar signed by mothercoat and again at Sakuracon 07 when I got Lin Clover to sign my guitar). I had a great time talking to the bands during the convention- really interactive and chill. Or how about getting Lin Clover to show up and play a concert? I could easily ask them also.

This past 2 years the "music-fest" has completely sucked. What bands played in 07/08? Where were the signs that pointed to where they were performing? There was like absolutely NO advertising for any of the bands.
Completely disappointing for the past 2 years. Who the heck runs the show? Christ, you guy's really don't know wtf you're doing. >.>

-the4ork

Dude, Antic Cafe/Ramen and Rice reached EVERYONE who went. Trust me, I was there. They aren't the most popular band but they do care about their fans. They will be back because of the fans and because of that, they will be better than ever.

Please, there are people who I know who have been attending Fanime for 10 years and they can tell you MusicFest and the people who coordinate it are doing everything they can.

I suggest you come to Fanime this year even though you said you give up conventions because " they aren't what they used to be". In my opinion, I think you're just acting like an elitist. And to be honest, there are people who have been an anime fan much longer up to this date than you (like me) who can tell you Fanime is trying and consistently improving every year to meet the expectations of the fans who come and go. Don't believe me? Read this: http://www.animesou.com/?p=877

Yes. In the last 3 conventions reports since the 5 years of Fanimecon, last year was the most coordinated and the best I've experienced. If you can tell me what went wrong last year compared to your GODLY knowledge of anime conventions and what it should be, please feel free to share and discuss with me. I can easily prove you wrong on many levels. That is, if you have anything to comment on. I can also tell you I have been invited by Anime Central, Fanimecon, Anime Expo and Anime Iowa as Press and Head Staff to moderate DVD bootlegs; so while you're busy trying to catch up on the "old times" of what Anime conventions should be, here is an advice: come to Fanime, check out the changes, and ****** enjoy yourself. Your criticism have no basis other than the fact that you aren't getting the band you expect. If you are going to give up anime and conventions, don't drag everyone else down in the process.

I'm a little sick of your attitude in general.

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Steve.Young

Apparently someone knows how to plan a whole con better than everyone else. Woohoo!

Finally, someone who WANTS to take over AND do EVERYONE'S work for them! I'm saved!
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

ewu

hehe:) my sarcasm meter is off the charts:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Nyxyin

Quote from: the4ork on November 08, 2008, 12:39:33 PMWhat bands played in 07/08?
2008 was An Cafe.  2007 had ZZ, Mari Iijima, God of Shamisen, and a whole ton of others.  ZZ only played Thursday, I think, but several of the others seemed to have been taking turns playing almost all the time in like three different areas or something.  I seem to recall more musical groups than normal in 2007.

QuoteThere was like absolutely NO advertising for any of the bands.
I saw some ads.  There was definitely information on the web site, the program book, and the schedules.  Mari Iijima and God of Shamisen were great!

Tony

Quote2006 was GREAT! Mothercoat, Goofystyle, Guitar Vader, Swinging Popsicle, Miami, and the likes.
Heh, Guitar Vader didn't come in 2006...

It was a lot of fun, though. I still have all of those bands in my playlists.

QuoteI'll PERSONALLY ask them if they want to come to fanime, christ. If not directly to the band, I know the us-branch owner/manager of Japan Files (met him twice- once at fanime when I got my guitar signed by mothercoat and again at Sakuracon 07 when I got Lin Clover to sign my guitar). I had a great time talking to the bands during the convention- really interactive and chill. Or how about getting Lin Clover to show up and play a concert? I could easily ask them also.
So could I. I have about four contacts. =D
There are a lot of reasons we didn't work with them in '07 and '08; lack of contact information was not one of them.

QuoteThis past 2 years the "music-fest" has completely sucked. What bands played in 07/08?
Jeez, I can barely remember... forgive me if I miss anyone, as it's started to blur together:

2007: ZZ, Artbeat, Lemon Drop Kick, Karma Shenjing, Rothchilde, Mechanical Panda, Crack 6, God of Shamisen, akai SKY, and Mari Iijima wrapped up the show quite beautifully.

2008: All Ages, Ghost Towne, Thee Out Mods, LYV, Ramen and Rice, and An Cafe.

If you think all of those bands sucked... not much I can say.

QuoteWhere were the signs that pointed to where they were performing? There was like absolutely NO advertising for any of the bands.
Really? I was told this turned into An Cafe Con. An Cafe was on pretty much every advertisement that went out. People were pretty sick of hearing about them by the end.  (Yet, we're still getting people registering and using the old 'ancafe' promo code...)

QuoteCompletely disappointing for the past 2 years. Who the heck runs the show? Christ, you guy's really don't know wtf you're doing. >.>
I did. From 2005-2008.

I'll explain why each year was so different, though: I was doing systematic tests with the event. 2005 was to see if a concert could even work; 2006 was mostly about contracts and negotiations; 2007 was about guest relations and tech; and 2008 was largely about logistics and marketing. I tried to play with the theme each year, as well: in 2006, we were going for unknowns; 2007 was about up-and-coming indie bands; and 2008 was about bands making a transition to bigger places. The one constant is that we always, always showcase local bands, because we think it's important to have a stage for performers from the community.

Just last week I was thinking about JapanFiles - what it was like having them, if I'd want them back now - and if Val - the new head of MusicFest - decides she wants one of their bands, I wouldn't oppose it. But that's for Val to decide.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Acid_Android

It's nearly impossible to make every single attendee happy, especially since we don't sell tickets specifically for MusicFest. The audience is always going to be a mixture of fans of the bands, and those who just happen to wander in. As Tony mentioned, there were actually quite a few bands of different genres these past two years, and if you couldn't be happy with ANY of them, not much we can do about that.

I am taking everyone's band suggestions into consideration. The themes for each year, as mentioned, have progressed from unknowns to more established names, and if all goes well, 2009 should be in line with that. But as for whom I'm in negotiating with, that will remain confidential until I get contracts signed ^^;

Also...if you're unhappy with how things are run at Fanime, there's always the option of joining staff to try to make it better...

MusicFest Manager 2009-Present
2008 MusicFest Guest Handler
2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

ewu

Quote from: Tony on November 10, 2008, 08:55:12 AM
I did. From 2005-2008.

...Zing

I love tony-bear.....er....Tony-Chair....yes
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

haetae

Can we possibly request bands to come to Fanime...?
Or is it all up to the staff and who's available?  :-\

ewu

Quote from: haetae on November 10, 2008, 10:56:38 AM

try here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10082.0.html
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Acid_Android

Quote from: ewu on November 10, 2008, 11:06:18 AM

try here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10082.0.html

MusicFest staff do look through the suggestion threads, so yep, posting there is the best way to get your requests seen.

But...let's try to keep it somewhat realistic ^^;;
2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

ewu

Quote from: Acid_Android on November 10, 2008, 11:25:47 AM

So is it Utada or Ayumi this year??
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Sen

Quote from: ewu on November 10, 2008, 11:34:09 AM

Namie Amuro?  ;D
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Tony

Sure! The link was already mentioned. We actually brought back ZZ because of those requests.

Mostly the issue is availability. Japanese artists are extremely busy; if they're not actively touring, they're in the studio, or doing a promo. We've had some really great leads that fell through because of the time - and May can be a really strange time in the year to go overseas.

Money is the other issue, and it's incredibly complex. MusicFest's large budget makes it even more complicated, believe it or not. I could probably write for pages on the subject, but ... I won't bore anyone just yet. ;)

Our personal preferences are near the bottom of the list. Who we get is usually unexpected, so there's no chance to play favorites.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

PyronIkari

Quote from: Sen on November 10, 2008, 11:43:33 AM

Namie Amuro?  ;D

Actually, Namie isn't impossible to get. She'd take some work to get, but far from impossible.

I just wonder why you would want her...

Though... MAXX GOT BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!! (I'd honestly be surprised if anyone on this forum outside of like 2 people actually listened to MAXX)

Acid_Android

Quote from: Sen on November 10, 2008, 11:43:33 AM

Namie Amuro?  ;D

hahahaha if you guys wanna give me your moneys, then we could try to make it happen xDDD

2007 MusicFest Staff
MusicFest on Twitter!

Sen

I know she's not impossible to get. She'd just take a good amount of money or so I've heard.

Quote from: PyronIkari on November 10, 2008, 01:32:38 PM

Actually, Namie isn't impossible to get. She'd take some work to get, but far from impossible.

I just wonder why you would want her...

Though... MAXX GOT BACK TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!! (I'd honestly be surprised if anyone on this forum outside of like 2 people actually listened to MAXX)
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

ewu

When Val says "your monies" she means from Fan Service's budget.....its not like registration is important........

Quote from: Acid_Android on November 10, 2008, 06:40:52 PM
hahahaha if you guys wanna give me your moneys, then we could try to make it happen xDDD
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: ewu on November 10, 2008, 08:30:00 PM
When Val says "your monies" she means from Fan Service's budget.....its not like registration is important........

Quote from: Acid_Android on November 10, 2008, 06:40:52 PM

Ehh, we all know reg is loaded with monies. lol