Poll: Group Reg (please comment)

Started by ewu, November 09, 2008, 06:36:33 PM

Shall Registration bring back Group Reg?

Yes (state why below)
No

ae86co

Quote from: gackt_2003 on January 05, 2009, 01:46:32 PM
oh ok. has it always been the same? if yes, why not give a group discount? if not, did it not work out?

Ahh... the history of this now unfolds.  The group registration used to have a discount, but it was to benefit Anime Clubs and limited to Pre-Registration (a few times it extended to Early Registration, but it caused problems with the ever famous "why don't I have a laminated badge?" question).  FanimeCon supports Anime Clubs and extended this as a group discount for the clubs.

Once attendees that were not part of a club realized that they could become a "group" and register to obtain the discount, the purpose of the discount was negated.  There was no easy way to verify that a group was a legitimate Anime Club without delaying the pickup of their badges or the process becoming too bureaucratic for the groups with finding a common way to identify Anime Clubs.  At that point, the group registration remained, but without the discount.  In the end, group discounts were too costly to give away so easily without a way to ensure that the discount went to the Anime Clubs that they were for.

imho, if you want a discount, Pre-Register before the price goes up.  Prices are significantly lower for each membership during Pre-Registration than At-con Registration.
Antonio E.
FanimeCon 2003-2005 Registration Staff
FanimeCon 2006 Registration Second
FanimeCon 2007-2008 Registration Head
FanimeCon 2009 Finance Head

Gatsby

I would like to see group registration because a simpler way for group leaders (I'm thinking anime club presidents here lol) to register and pick up the badges at once. I personally don't have this problem, but my friend who is the president of our local high school anime club has vented how group registration would be convenient.

FanFicGuru

So, if group registration is re-introduced, when would it be online? I have 7 people to buy badges for, but I"m holding my breath for group reg.

Thanks.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

ewu

go ahead and purchase, if and when we put up grp reg it will only affect pick up and will requre you to only make some small changes to the accounts.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

FanFicGuru

Quote from: ewu on January 26, 2009, 11:02:11 AM
go ahead and purchase, if and when we put up grp reg it will only affect pick up and will requre you to only make some small changes to the accounts.

Ok so it's more of a retro-active thing. Gotcha.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

gackt_2003

terribly sorry if this has been asked. [i also didnt want to make a new thread]
does group registration affect who registers who and who picks up the badges?

ex: if i pre-reg myself and my friend pre-regs himself, can i pick up his badge along with mine if i have a copy of his ID? or does each individual person need to pick up their own badge?

another question: can i pre-reg myself and another person [under the same creditcard] and pick up both badges? or does my friend still need to pick up his badge himself?

thanks! =]

Chewie

Quote from: ewu on November 09, 2008, 06:36:33 PM
One of the biggest advantages of Group Registration is that someone could register you and pick up your badge for you. Thanks to some changes in registration, the pre-reg line is now moving a lot faster, so this advantage may not be as important.

Two disadvantages for group reg is some limited payment options and ONLY the group leader may register the group and pick up the badges. That means that if you arrive at con BEFORE your group leader, you may NOT register yourself individually.

Please include why you would like group reg back.

I say bring it back.

Even with the pre-reg line moving faster, this could help even more by allowing 1-2 people to pick up a chunk of badges instead of 5,10,15, etc, all standing around in line clogging them up.

Limited payment options is something people will just have to deal with. It's really not going to make or break someone going or not. Something like that can be planned around very easily and way ahead of time.

However, I don't see why you can only have one person from the group picking up the badges. Two would work and with some small changes (that you may have already done since the possibility of group reg. being back is there) you could easily keep track of and separate those coming for group badges and those who aren't, which is what I'd imagine is a problem at this point for trying to have more than one authorized person to pick up badges. That eliminates most of the possible problems with people arriving before their group leader and picking up badges. If half of a group gets there and has authorized person 1 with them or the other half with authorized person 2, everything works out..

No more than 2 since it would pretty much start to go back to "why do we have group reg in the first place?" but could work easily.

As for irresponsible group leaders, to be quite blunt, it's not your problem. They agreed within their group that Person 1 and (possibly) Person 2 will be those responsible for the badges once they leave Fanime Staff's hands. Ultimately people will be bugging you if they lose badges or can't find them, but adding a simple line in your agreement for going to Fanime at all fixes that and absolves you of having to deal with it. Which isn't to say you wouldn't want to help those who lost their badges, but it puts the whole thing in a different light when people agree to the terms for registering as a group.

ewu

We won't even deal with that. With one person of responsibility, the payment comes from that person (or the payer authorizes custodian to that person) and the badges leave with that person. If the leader looses a badge, the person goes to the leader and not Fanime. The key reason we stopped group reg was angry people yelling at us about a missing badge when it was clearly checked out and confirmed by the person picking up the badge. If a badge is missing or lost, you must pay for a new one. Don't matter if it comes for the leader or the person them self, it is not the responsibility of Fanime to resolve that.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chewie

Quote from: ewu on March 04, 2009, 06:28:36 PM
We won't even deal with that.

Which part? More than one person or the latter of Fanime not being responsible or both?

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chewie

Ah, ok.

Just throwing it out there.

Anyway, people know what they are getting into when they decide to group reg. having the choice will ultimately make it easier for someone, somewhere methinks.

ewu

except when it makes it proportionally less easy for Fanime staff....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chewie

Never mind.

ewu

I think you misunderstand......group reg we are considering. Allowing more than one person to pick up, we are not.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Chewie

Ah, I thought you were implying that group reg on the whole would be harder. Gotcha.

Sorry. Been a long day.

Sen

Before I have to forcefully remove Eric (who has also had a long day) from the forums...

We brought up the issue of group reg again because people have been asking for it. So we created this thread to let people voice their opinions. Ideally we want a group reg that will be beneficial to attendees and easy to implement for the limited number of staff we have.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Chewie

It's all good. I wasn't trying to come off as malicious as I did in that last post. I was only half reading. Eric is pretty darn helpful for having his name spelled wrong.

=P

gackt_2003

ewu

Quote from: gackt_2003 on March 04, 2009, 05:46:21 PM
terribly sorry if this has been asked. [i also didnt want to make a new thread]
does group registration affect who registers who and who picks up the badges?

ex: if i pre-reg myself and my friend pre-regs himself, can i pick up his badge along with mine if i have a copy of his ID? or does each individual person need to pick up their own badge?

another question: can i pre-reg myself and another person [under the same creditcard] and pick up both badges? or does my friend still need to pick up his badge himself?

thanks! =]

sorry, been a busy day:)

Group reg has yet to be implemented. There are possibilities for the things you cite, but we must test and implement before we can answer these questions.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

gackt_2003

Quote from: ewu on March 04, 2009, 10:50:32 PM
sorry, been a busy day:)

Group reg has yet to be implemented. There are possibilities for the things you cite, but we must test and implement before we can answer these questions.
ah, so that falls under 'group reg' category.
thanks! =]