Hellsing Gathering '09

Started by Rette, November 16, 2008, 02:25:36 AM

SirVincent

ok so this is my first time do thing this, what will we be doing?
Some times you have to get away for it all and other times you must get back to it all.

Rette

Basically, we all stand around and get our pictures taken. Photographers will sometimes direct shots they want, and generally we cosplayers will have some ideas about pictures we want done.

Typical Requests:
- Group all the cosplayers of one character together for a picture
- Huge group pictures with everyone
- Good guys vs. Bad guys
- One-on-one fight pictures (Alucard vs. Anderson, for example)
- Individual shots
- Scenes from the manga/anime

Practice striking a few poses in front of a mirror. It can sometimes be difficult to think of one on the spot, and you won't know what it looks like.

It's also a time to meet and greet the other cosplayers. Makes it easy because you know you have at least ONE interest in common. ^_^

Here's one of our group shots from last year:

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

CaptTreasureTroveTi

Quote from: Rette on May 12, 2009, 12:22:32 PM
Basically, we all stand around and get our pictures taken. Photographers will sometimes direct shots they want, and generally we cosplayers will have some ideas about pictures we want done.

Typical Requests:
- Good guys vs. Bad guys
- Individual shots

Practice striking a few poses in front of a mirror. It can sometimes be difficult to think of one on the spot, and you won't know what it looks like.

It's also a time to meet and greet the other cosplayers. Makes it easy because you know you have at least ONE interest in common. ^_^

The photo looks SO amazing! O____O I can't wait to be in this year's gathering. :]

1) Hmm .. since Fanime photographers will take some nice photos... is there any way that we can get those?
2) hmm. So ... say that one cosplayer has a idea for the group to do that they want done ... and the group is okay with it. Who takes that photo? And on whose camera? O_o
2010 Organizer of: Death Note, Pandora Hearts

*is still uploading Fanime 2009 photos x.x*

Mister_E

I have to have one of these photos useing my flag again.

A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

Rette

Quote from: CaptTreasureTroveTi on May 12, 2009, 03:15:42 PM
Quote from: Rette on May 12, 2009, 12:22:32 PM

Typical Requests:
- Good guys vs. Bad guys
- Individual shots

The photo looks SO amazing! O____O I can't wait to be in this year's gathering. :]

1) Hmm .. since Fanime photographers will take some nice photos... is there any way that we can get those?
2) hmm. So ... say that one cosplayer has a idea for the group to do that they want done ... and the group is okay with it. Who takes that photo? And on whose camera? O_o

There will be several photographers with known websites who will be around (from cosplay.com, for example) and you can check there for the photos, and the official Fanime photographers will no doubt have a website with all the pictures they took.

There will also be a crowd of people with their own cameras taking pictures for themselves. A common practice is for people in the gathering to give their camera to someone in the crowd and ask them to take a picture (but keep an eye on your camera so it doesn't wander away). I always ask a friend to come to a gathering I'm in so they can take pictures for me.

After Fanime, we can use this thread to post our gathering pictures so that those who couldn't take their own can see them.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

CaptTreasureTroveTi

Thanks, Rette! Sounds awesome.

LordMoufMouf

That's quite an epic little gathering you had there!

CaptTreasureTroveTi

... does anyone know where to get white gloves?

I've been looking for them for my Alucard cosplay ... >_< ... hoping to draw the circles on them.
I'm worried that I won't find a pair in time!  :-[

I've tried thrift shops, department stores, stuff like that ...  I haven't seen anywhere.

Rette

Quote from: CaptTreasureTroveTi on May 13, 2009, 08:35:06 PM
... does anyone know where to get white gloves?

I've been looking for them for my Alucard cosplay ... >_< ... hoping to draw the circles on them.
I'm worried that I won't find a pair in time!  :-[

I've tried thrift shops, department stores, stuff like that ...  I haven't seen anywhere.

I've had some luck finding gloves in Vintage thrift/consignment stores, but I only know of the one here in Santa Cruz, so that's probably not much help.

If all else fails you can find them in various styles and qualities at amazon.com (or the online store of your choice). The only problem is you'll probably end up paying around $15.00 in shipping charges.

iNSOMNiAC

Yeah, I bought my gloves for Schrodinger here in downtown Santa Cruz; if you're nearby, definitely check the stores there. I got mine at a place called "MoonZoom", for cheap. $6.00 I think. Good luck!

CaptTreasureTroveTi

to Rette and iNSOMNiAC:

*ohnoes* Uh oh ... I live around Santa Clara/San Jose. >_< Darn. I wish I could come down to Santa Cruz!

But I'll try Amazon or something, yes. >_>
Thanks, though! :]
Now I know where to get more gloves in CA and what to do when I drive down. ;)

Rette

Quote from: iNSOMNiAC on May 13, 2009, 09:58:54 PM
Yeah, I bought my gloves for Schrodinger here in downtown Santa Cruz; if you're nearby, definitely check the stores there. I got mine at a place called "MoonZoom", for cheap. $6.00 I think. Good luck!

Lol... I got mine for Dracula at Retro Paradise on Pacific. Who knew Santa Cruz was such a hot spot for Hellsing cosplayers in search of gloves. XD

fritzy

Quote from: CaptTreasureTroveTi on May 13, 2009, 10:43:57 PM
to Rette and iNSOMNiAC:

*ohnoes* Uh oh ... I live around Santa Clara/San Jose. >_< Darn. I wish I could come down to Santa Cruz!

But I'll try Amazon or something, yes. >_>
Thanks, though! :]
Now I know where to get more gloves in CA and what to do when I drive down. ;)
Check out a Diddams, they've got a ton of costumes and party supplies, I know I saw an entire display of gloves when I was walking through one today in Mountain View.

CaptTreasureTroveTi

Quote from: fritzy on May 16, 2009, 08:19:25 PM
Check out a Diddams, they've got a ton of costumes and party supplies, I know I saw an entire display of gloves when I was walking through one today in Mountain View.

Oh, drat. If only I had known! >_<
I bought some nylon white gloves yesterday at Party City ... I would have loved to see that huge display. ^^;
But thank you! I'll keep Diddams MV in mind the next time I need gloves.
*runs off to draw Alucard circles on gloves*

KuroOokami

Yay~

I'm so glad everyone likes Baskerville! XD He got a bit of a make over for Fanime, so he will be all shiny and new for the group~ I still couldn't finish his collar in time, though. =( So hopefully no one minds how inaccurate he'll sort of be without it, until its done, haha. XD

@Rette - Yeah, the heat is the one thing that get to me in that sucker. =( My spotter will have lots o' water for me, though, and the moving jaw allows me to drink (w/ straw, plz) and even eat, haha, so all will be well~

Those pictures are amazing, by the way! Seeing those made me even more excited for this now, I can't wait! *giddy dance*

This is going to be my last post, by the way, until the con! I'm leaving for San Jose from Colorado tomorrow (hurray 18 hour drives), so I will see everyone this weekend at the gathering!

Ciao~

CaptTreasureTroveTi

Quote from: KuroOokami on May 17, 2009, 01:30:50 PM
@Rette - Yeah, the heat is the one thing that get to me in that sucker. =( My spotter will have lots o' water for me, though, and the moving jaw allows me to drink (w/ straw, plz) and even eat, haha, so all will be well

The heat has been worrying me, too.
I have a costume for Alucard that can get kind of warm. Especially the tops ... coat and shirt.
I had a longsleeve button-down formal shirt for Alucard but I'm scrapping it 'cause of the weather ... and wearing a t-shirt with a black dog on it. >_<

Is that okay? O_o

And the coat ... I'm worried about the heat in Alucard's coat. -__-;;

Eeep.

What say ye fellows?

LordMoufMouf

I think the entire Hellsing group is going to wilt if the heat continues on like this. I heard it was suppose to cool down though...

AbsolutelyCursed

According to weather.com, it's supposed to be around 80 degrees for our gathering on Sunday.

Rette

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on May 17, 2009, 11:36:08 PM
According to weather.com, it's supposed to be around 80 degrees for our gathering on Sunday.

NOAA says it'll be in the mid 70s all weekend. That's not so bad...

If the heat gets really bad (for those of us in many-layered/fuzzy outfits) we can always step inside the convention center and gather in the Lobby. I don't think it'll be too much of a problem since we're gathering on the Hilton side of the courtyard, which usually has a bunch of shade (there are some trees... and buildings).

I'm going to be wearing my full costume come hell or high water, mostly because I can't really get away with substitutions or leaving pieces out.

BSaphire

Gathering/Event Organizer: Please Read my last post in Fanime 09 Cosplayer Gatherings List thread.

Gomen Nasai ^^)
BSaphire

BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC