Second Life affair leads to real-life divorce

Started by deonchan, November 20, 2008, 02:53:59 PM

deonchan

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article5151126.ece

Now, I have two theories on this sad situation. Either
1)   This is what happens when people confuses the Virtual World w/ the Real World (be it Second Life, MMORPGs, Forums, Chartrooms, whatever)
2)   This is exactly what happens when people have no or are not taught REAL social skills

Now I believe that both of the about theories can be prevented through counseling, social groups and other means. Problem is, no amount of therapy will work unless the person behind the monitor wants (or belives) they have help but that's a different topic for a different time.

Now back to the topic at hand. Some people would probbly say "well since they met online everything that happens online counts" Isn't that a very skewed preception of reality? Not only to marry on and off line but to spend as much time together online as a couple as you do off?

What (if anything) went wrong here?
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

PyronIkari

Quote from: deonchan on November 20, 2008, 02:53:59 PM
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article5151126.ece

Now, I have two theories on this sad situation. Either
1)   This is what happens when people confuses the Virtual World w/ the Real World (be it Second Life, MMORPGs, Forums, Chartrooms, whatever)
2)   This is exactly what happens when people have no or are not taught REAL social skills

Now I believe that both of the about theories can be prevented through counseling, social groups and other means. Problem is, no amount of therapy will work unless the person behind the monitor wants (or belives) they have help but that's a different topic for a different time.

Now back to the topic at hand. Some people would probbly say "well since they met online everything that happens online counts" Isn't that a very skewed preception of reality? Not only to marry on and off line but to spend as much time together online as a couple as you do off?

What (if anything) went wrong here?

You're totally missing the point. Let's go through the definition game.

What constitutes "cheating" on a spouse?

The simple answer... "anything that one of the two people see as cheating". That line was crossed, so divorce happened.

Millions of people can say "It was just online, it didn't mean anything" but to the persons involved, it did mean something. That's it. That's all there is to this.

ewu

Relationships are an agreement and ...relationship...between two people. So they define and decide what is considered cheating and what is not.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Virtual

dont break the pure relationship, and if you feel that the relation you will make is not pure then dont make. because it will be affected on 2 families.

david

I could have sworn the same thing happened in Maplestory a few years ago.

At first I was like, wow it's just a game, chill out.  But I guess I can understand how she felt.  Even if it was online with a woman he never met in person before, he still felt real emotion for her.  Online or not, when a spouse says they love someone else, that's going to lead to problems.