If I were to Cosplay as a Travelling Junk Vendor, [Question]

Started by Rodney_Pheonix, December 01, 2008, 11:39:10 PM

Rodney_Pheonix

And be in character and physically sell stuff like water and small snacks like pretzels and chips, would I be required to register as a dealer?

Or would that even be allowable?
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Kazuko

Some girls did that two years back and they were asked to leave if I remember. So basically its a no you cant you have to have a licence to vend and be under fanimecon/SJCC's rules

Rodney_Pheonix

So If I had the proper permits and such I could?

Sounds troublesome, but it might be worth it to look into.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Kazuko

I dont know to be honest, you have to be unionized and everything its a very tedious process. your safe bet is to just not do it

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: Kazuko on December 01, 2008, 11:47:12 PM
I dont know to be honest, you have to be unionized and everything its a very tedious process. your safe bet is to just not do it

A union made up of one man?.....Isn't that a bit counter productive? What, would I go on strike against myself? Sorry If I seem a bit sarcastic.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Steve.Young

It's not really Fanime that is saying no, it's Fanime's contract with the SJCC that makes Fanime say no.

SJCC is full of unionized workers and if you look around, the con food is expensive because the Convention Center is the vendor OR they charge a fee for the other food vendors.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

ewu

No one may sell items that are in direct competition with the SJCC. Permission MAY be obtained but its not likely that it will make sense as the SJCC is bound to get a big cut.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Rodney_Pheonix

So probably more headache and red tape than it'd be worth.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Rodney_Pheonix

However that wouldn't be a problem if I were to say, cosplay a military medic, or medical ninja, and donated the stuff to people who looked like they weren't doing to well.

Couple three cases of water, 20 dollars.

Case of the single serving Gatorade mix pouches, 15ish dollars.

Case of snack size pretzel bags. 6 bucks.

Knowing I helped keep people from passing out: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. Case in point, good will towards fellow human beings.

[edit] Sounds corny when I re-read it outside my mind, but meh.[/edit]
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Kazuko

regardless its still a no no because the whole sjcc rules that they have if that is violated there are penalties like higher rates for the con or no con at all and thats not cool

Plus Its not wise to get food from complete strangers outside of official vendors such as the food court/stands and the people from the dealers room who sell japanese snacks at their price.

its because you never know if its poisioned or with some sort of drugs no one really wants that kind of trouble on their hands it just screams trouble. Even if you say "oh im not going to do that" how can you really trust that statement

its best not to do it at all

RaddaX2

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on December 03, 2008, 06:52:12 PM

There are some things money can't buy. Case in point, good will towards fellow human beings.

That's very admirable of you, really, but some people won't understand.  Last halloween I took my brother to the mall and at the top of the escalator we were greeted by this really creepy looking guy who was dumping snickers and twix into our bags.  Apparently he'd been doing this to all the kids at the mall but he had this huge grin on his face.  Shit made the skin on my sack crawl, don't trust guys like him.

Also what are you gonna do when someone starts to complain on how they got sick on your food?  People are gonna try to scam you.  If you really wanna help people out look for the con loners and treat them out to lunch.  Be some miserable girls boyfriend for 1 day or something.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Jelly Soup

Quote from: ewu on December 02, 2008, 10:03:55 PM
No one may sell items that are in direct competition with the SJCC. Permission MAY be obtained but its not likely that it will make sense as the SJCC is bound to get a big cut.

Super technically, as long as you have a vendors license and are selling items that are not provided for sale by SJCC, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Like, Brisk Iced Tea. To the best of my knowledge, that product isn't available from vendors on site.

ewu

It also includes everything that SJCC can get on their own. Also, all food sales must go through SJCC. You must work through them or they will be very displeased and ask you to leave the premisis.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Jelly Soup

As long as we are on the topic, I'm guessing this doesn't spill over to food products that are central to the convention, yes? I've seen people sell various Japanese candies and sodas (such as Pocky and Final Fantasy Potions) at swap-meets and such will little to no problem.

ewu

Basically the SJCC does not have Ramune, Pocky and other less popular overseas imports. (I pitty them) Water, Soda, and Gatorade, they have suppliers, and we obligated to not compete with them.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Quote from: ewu on December 03, 2008, 01:15:18 PM
you bet...especially for me:)

And for me, someone might make me remove them from the con.

The people who sell at the swap meets we've sorta let slide in the past due to the wares being imported and being a very limited distribution time during the day. We do crack down if it's something that competes with the SJCC vendors. We know some people were handing out bread/sandwiches and we had to ask them to stop. Sad, I know. Rules are rules.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jelly Soup

This is more of a curiosity question than anything else, but I remember about two years ago, there was a group of people who were making free sandwiches in the middle of the night for anyone to have. As I remember, they only got in trouble for leaving a bit of a mess behind after they left. Would this be now against the rules?

Seems to me that, from what has been posted thus far, it wasn't an issue at the time due to the fact that this was taking place in the middle of the night, long after the vendors had closed up.

ewu

Vendors are open for the time that Fanime requests and negotiates. Starbucks was 24/4 and the vendors were open till 2AM or 4AM last year.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Jelly Soup

That's not really what I'm asking. When the vendors are closed, SJCC isn't losing any business, therefore selling/giving away food shouldn't be an issue, yes?

Not that I'm planing anything, mind you. I'm just curious.