Comedy Club at Fanime 2009! Updated 5/17/2009

Started by Aya Brea X, December 02, 2008, 07:21:22 PM

G-Force

havok rt

F**k Yeah! G I gotta give you mad props. Represent Fanime, Damn I know what your intro is going to be for next year.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

G-Force

Now I know its a real long way from 2010 but we could use all this time to plan for the club. Right now our two biggest flaws are...

1. Finding performers
2. Filling up time.

the 2009 Comedy Club saw what happens when a panel suddenly grows. Due to the positive feedback from 08, not only were we granted a real room but way more time as well. While we got more time to host the club, we didn't exactly get that many new people from last year. Granted the obvious choice was for us to run longer sets but the crowd only wants to see one person on stage for so long so you can see people getting really antsy toward the people who ran routines longer than ten minutes.

With that said, if we're going to be running for the same amount of time, we need more people. We already got one guy wanting to perform but we should look for more ways to bolster our numbers. Now at AX they were able to do this easily on account they had a tournament where the comedians were award prizes and the winner got a free badge. I'm talking about some sweet prizes too. Pretty much the contestants got to choose from a big box of swag and I walked away with a copy of Porco Rosso, Boggiepop Phantom and a Justice action figure. This raised interest in the tournament so much that the organizers had to have live auditions.

Obviously, given how our event is based in fanime, we don't really have the resources to be giving away prizes and free badges but then again our club's purpose is not based on competition but its more so an open mic session. Currently, the only thing I can think of to get more performers is to just actively seek people out. Really pimp the event out, maybe have a warm up session on Day Zero where we meet up and perform clips of our routines and do some improv games. During the con we can have Stage Zero advertise us by playing clips of our old performances to actually show people we're funny. Don't worry second half people, I got footage...well moreso I know the guy who filmed all of us. He's writing for bayanime and hopefully he'll get to his article about us and then you'll finally claim your piece of internet fame.

OniCourseMusha

G-Force,  I am very surprised that you won the event!  Congrats dude!  Sorry I couldn't watch it cuz my job was to check badges before letting them in.  But I'll watch your video!  I would love to try out stand up as well but sadly I decided that I want to be part of either Ballroom Department or E-gaming Department.  But damn great job dude and hope I'll see you at the Anime club!
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Glitch

This all sounds exciting. I gotta say I'm already writting material for next year. I can't wait for the unyet seen footage. XD

Edit: Since some events get their own pics in the program book, I think we should get our own little pic. something like this;

although not exactly like that since this is a crappy pic I did in a rush. XD

G-Force

I befriended an artist in 09 who went to the comedy club and had the time of her life. She's really interested in drawing up promo material and if things go well I'll get her to do something.

Also, if a certain person shows up I think I'll be able to bring in another comedian who I can personally vouch for as being a really funny dude. How would you like it if the Comedy Club had TWO Last Comic Standing finalist instead of just one?

Glitch

So many things for the club in 2010. I can't wait for how all this turns out.

Aya Brea X

Glad you guys are already thinking up ideas for next year.  Honestly, I haven't even thought about next year yet at this point (right now, I'm working on a panel in 2 weeks for Yaoi Con).  I'm leaning towards cutting the panel back to 1 hour since we really struggled to fill the 2 hour time slot even with the bonus performer we picked up *at* the convention.  I don't think it's really anything negative to cut back to 1 hour, considering I did a nearly 25 minute set by myself to try to fill up as much time as possible XD   I have no problems doing just a 10 minute set!  It'll be a lot less stressful on me and probably the other performers who also feel like they have to fill up as much time as possible.

I'm definitely not interested in going the competition route, I really like the open mic format.  I have no prizes to offer, nor am I interested in finding sponsors.  I'm really just out to have a good time and some good laughs, and that's been my goal the last two years.  If it's prizes you're interested it, come on down to AX and have your try at AX LCS (which I see some of you did. *thumbs up*). 

I'm not going to go back to the 2 hour format unless we get at least 10 people committed, as in they have signed a contract in blood, or something equally serious.  Right now we have six people (assuming everyone comes back) probably 8-10 minute sets each to fill up the hour.  Seven if G's friend joins up, so that's 7-8 minute sets each.  I'm really happy with the group we had this year, so I'm not actively recruting for this coming up year unless someone drops out.  If any one of your friends are interested, let me know. 

I'm actually not sure how one gets art for the program guide.  If so, we could make something happen.  Though I don't think we have a problem finding an audience XD it would be nice to get some extra space in the program guide for us. 

More info on next year's panel to come... probably whenever they announce the hotels and people start seriously considering going to the convention.  Thanks!

Glitch

We are always thinking about the comedy club. It's the only thing at the con I absolutely won't miss.(mainly becuase I'm in it.) XD
I really hope you keep the two hour slot. I'm always scared that we'll run out of time. I always thought it's better to have too much than too little. ^^;
For the extra time left over, might I suggest a q and a session instead of improv. In the improv I think we didn't really have everybody on the same page. For q&a we could have the audience ask us any stupid questions and not aswer seriously. I think people will like that.
I will personally go and see how we can get some space on the fanime program. ^^

havok rt

I like Glitch's q and a suggestion. I mean was burnt out after my set. So as much as I would have liked to, there was no way I was going to be able to perform. But what did happen was spent the next hours talking to people about doing the comedy club. So that something I'm all for.
Fanime Staff:2010 Social Gaming, 2012 Tabletop Gaming

Cosplay for 2012: Walking around with "The Most Interesting Man In the World" (aka the dos equis guy)

passLion

Q and A sounds fun.
Improv in that big room is not doable unless we get wireless lavalieres.

I'm writing more material for 2010, since everyone else's set was longer than mine in 09.

But huge note: PLEASE make the show be on any night BUT Saturday night. I'm graduating from San Jose State and the ceremony's on that Saturday.

radpaolo.

Any word on Comedy Club for 2010? Is it even going to be happening this year?
Sambrano's suicide attempt was obviously unsuccessful. - KXAN Austin, TX (3/15/10)

Paolo Sambrano(dotcom)

Aya Brea X

It's happening.  I've just put off posting something since they only recently posted the panel request form.  More details to come, probably after I work on it this weekend.  I will start a new thread when I submit the panel.  Meanwhile, if you are interested in performing, PM me so I can get a headcount.  Pretty much the same format.  If I get more than 10 people I will consider a 2 hour panel, otherwise, a 1 hour panel it is. 

Glitch

Those nights of sleepless panic have now been calmed down. ^^
Now time to search for other comics to perform at the panel. *goes on hunt.*

G-Force

In that case. I think a good start is to see how many performers do we have confirmed currently. I'm talking to a few but I would like to see who's set in stone.