Rouroni Kenshin and Samurai X questions (spoilers)

Started by Barnes, October 02, 2003, 09:31:40 PM

Barnes

These days I'm watching Kenshin and I'm assuming most of you have finished the series and oavs before it came on CN so I have a few questions, ok?

1)What is rouroni supposed to mean? (I know Kenshin is his name duh!)
2)After Shishio (the "mummy" dude), who is the villian after him? (I'm just curios)
3)Why do RK and Samurai X have different names?
4)and btw, Saturday's ep is the one where Yumi gets stabbed, so how do you think it will be censored?
Well thats all I can think of for now, I guess.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

SuperKawaiiNeko

In the manga Kenshin says upon first meeting Kaoru-san "I am but a rurouni...a swordsman traveling with no destination." Now, Ive never been able to find a definition for rurouni, but rurou is defined as "vagrancy; wandering; nomadism;" and ni used as a particle suffix thingie means "in this place," so I suppose it could be taken to mean "this one is a wanderer." Not to be confused with "ronin" which is a masterless samurai ^.^ (Big thanks to my good friend Checkers for the definitions of "ni" used as a suffix and ronin, even though she'll probably never see this!)

I think (Im not sure) that the defeat(?) of Shishio marks the end of the series. There is no villian after him as far as I know.

Rurouni Kenshin is the japanese name. When the oav was licenced, they changed the name to Samurai X, but when the tv series was licenced, they produced that under the original name "Rurouni Kenshin." This is how I understand it.

Ive never seen the original version (woe is me!) so I couldnt tell you, sorry ^.^0 They usually censor that sort of thing with flashes of white or black frames over the "offensive" (peh) frames, or by cutting the scene alltogether. With a little luck, its not censored at all ^.^0

Have fun watching one of the greatest anime ever, and my personal favourite (at the moment)
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

frumpy

Quote from: "SuperKawaiiNeko"Rurouni Kenshin is the japanese name. When the oav was licenced, they changed the name to Samurai X, but when the tv series was licenced, they produced that under the original name "Rurouni Kenshin." This is how I understand it.(at the moment)

Simple answer: TV and OAV were licensed in the USA by 2 different companies. Media Blasters took control of the TV series and had chosen to keep it's original title. ADVision had later announced ownership of the OAV titles. Therefore, ADVision couldn't infringe upon the same name since 'Rurouni Kenshin' was copyrighted by Media Blasters first. Hence the name change.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

GokuMew2

Quote from: "Mastersomething"These days I'm watching Kenshin and I'm assuming most of you have finished the series and oavs before it came on CN so I have a few questions, ok?

2)After Shishio (the "mummy" dude), who is the villian after him? (I'm just curios)
4)and btw, Saturday's ep is the one where Yumi gets stabbed, so how do you think it will be censored?

1. Rurouni roughly translates to "wanderer." It's a word even Watsuki Nobuhiro sensei admitted to make up. ^^;

2. I don't remember since I haven't watched it in a while but it doesn't matter too much since it kinda goes downhill. I believe it was that Christian Arc after the Kyoto Arc. Meh, wasn't too good. The ending could have been better. The Kyoto Arc kicks major arse though!

3. Explained by Frumpty.

4. I don't wanna think about that. >_> Maybe Kenshin's Sakabatou will be changed to a toothpick so Yumi gets stabbed by a giant toothpick. XD
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

gotensfr1

Quote from: "GokuMew2"
Quote from: "Mastersomething"These days I'm watching Kenshin and I'm assuming most of you have finished the series and oavs before it came on CN so I have a few questions, ok?

1. Rurouni roughly translates to "wanderer." It's a word even Watsuki Nobuhiro sensei admitted to make up. ^^;

2. I don't remember since I haven't watched it in a while but it doesn't matter too much since it kinda goes downhill. I believe it was that Christian Arc after the Kyoto Arc. Meh, wasn't too good. The ending could have been better. The Kyoto Arc kicks major arse though!

3. Explained by Frumpty.

4. I don't wanna think about that. >_> Maybe Kenshin's Sakabatou will be changed to a toothpick so Yumi gets stabbed by a giant toothpick. XD
I shall answer what I heard in my time of RK fandom:
Well #1 has been explained but I'll say it again cause I can XD
Rurouni = wanderer

#2) in the series we go to Shogo Amakusa and teh Christian Arc(then to various other small arcs), but in the manga you go to Enishi and the Jinchuu Arc.
Why this difference? I heard at that point in time, the series had caught up to the manga, and Watsuki Nobuhiro had writer's block, so the animators made fillers. these fillers screwed the characters over big time(they were moved from where they were and obviously stuff happened that didn't in the manga).
This lead to the failure to animate the best part of the manga, the Jinchuu Arc, IMO. You see a bit of teh Jinchuu series in Seisouhen(Reflections) OAV but it isn't enough dammit ><

#3) just to add on, I hear that Watsuki Nobuhiro didn't like the name Rurouni Kenshin, but he couldn't really change the name mid-way through. So he decided to ask forgein companies to name it Samurai X when they licensed it. As far as I know, only Media Blasters didn't comply with his request.
I've been to Guatemala, and seen RK dubbed in Spanish, and the name was Samurai X.

Story Spoilers!!!(I feel I must stress it >>
<<)

#4) they're probably gonna keep the scene, but remove the blood. they have no way of showing Shishio stabbing Kenshin and Yumi's death without showing Shishio stabbing Yumi to get to Kenshin.
BTW, that attack IMO was super cheap -_-;
watashi wa mou.....nigetakunai!

Nemuren

I don't think it's a rights issue since ADV made all their DVD covers reversible (Samurai X on one side, Rurouni Kenshin on the other) in order to satisfy those not so pleased with the name change. Also, different companies are releasing different parts of Sakura Wars and Lupin III without changing the title. As far as I can tell, calling it Samurai X was just a marketing decision (though I realize the name is not ADV's invention) to create a juicy title for those not familiar with the series.

Tsubasa

I've heard that the title "Samurai X" was used in foreign markets where they thought the title "Rurouni Kenshin" wouldn't fly.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

Barnes

I just finished the episode and man it was censored! Aargh! I wish this was on Adult Swim, but anyway (spoilers)

Basically Yumi dies,
Shishio blows up,
Hoji goes crazy.  

Qusetion 5:How will our heros escape? (This is on once a week and i'm dying to know)
Yay, Haruko.

otakuya

Quote from: "Tsubasa"I've heard that the title "Samurai X" was used in foreign markets where they thought the title "Rurouni Kenshin" wouldn't fly.
When I was in the Philippines this summer, they had Rurouni Kenshin on TV every night. It was the English dubbed TV series. But, yeah, they called it Samurai X (replacing the logo in the opening and everything). When I saw the Philippines TV guide and saw Samurai X, I was thinking of the OAV and movie. Then I saw the opening....well, it was the TV series...

Another weird thing, I was watching "Samurai X" everyday while I was there. When I got back to America, I watched Rurouni Kenshin on Cartoon Network, and believe it or not, it was on the episode I stopped watching when I was at the Phils...

kscuotakus

1) yeah, rurouni means wondering.
2) all i heard was the third season of kenshin's wack. is this true? after media blasters put out the "legend of kyoto" out, which was probably the dopest in the series, kenshin goes out to look for a sword. am i missing out?
3) kenshin in japan, samurai x in US. on top of everything else people said, samurai x is just easier to pronounce and relate to. it's marketing in the US, baby. just think, if people ask for the new rurouni kenshin @ best buy vs. people asking for samurai x. you think an associate could spell rurouni easy? plus, samurai x is more straight forward. whaddya think the x stands for?
4)who cares. it's all about puffy amiyumi.

forget the TV series. watch the OVA's trust/betrayal and the last ova atonement.

Tsubasa

After the Kyoto arc, things really go downhill for the series.  The Christian arc, the one directly following the Kyoto arc, was decent as far as I'm concerned, but when they hit the next arc, it was getting pretty nyeh.  The only good thing the series still had going for it was Misao.  I didn't expect her to keep showing up that much, but hey, I'm not complaining. ^_^

From what I heard, the title "Samurai X" was not created for the American market.  It was apparently created for the foreign markets that aired the series prior to its licensing by Media Blasters and ADV.  Oh, and for those of you who didn't realize it, the "X" represents Kenshin's X-shaped scar.

The OVAs were alright, but if you want some really seriously cool Kenshin action, pick up the manga and read the revenge arc.  Pretty intense stuff.  Enishi rulz! XD
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

gotensfr1

Quote from: "Tsubasa"The OVAs were alright, but if you want some really seriously cool Kenshin action, pick up the manga and read the revenge arc.  Pretty intense stuff.  Enishi rulz! XD
Mwahaha! Jinchuu.... :twisted:

HITEN MITSURUGI RYU! RYU MEI SEN! XD
watashi wa mou.....nigetakunai!

Saffy

SHINDEKUDASAI!!!!!!!!

dont make me use the Hidden Leaf Ancient Supreme Taijutsu Technique! you know the name and the anime... fear it! its the only one you can use in real life! hahahahaha!

yeah, i know the topic is kenshin, but do i care?
POCKY
Because you never forget your first box.

GIANT POCKY
Because some like it harder, better, faster, stronger

Images coming soon!

Barnes

I heard that they'll have reruns starting NOV 1st and I guess they won't play the Christian arc. I found a site that will give me all the info I need

http://www.thespectrum.net/ hitokiri/index.html  
(remove the space between   /   and  hitokiri)
that place is helpful.

I have one last question,   I'm thinking of buying a Samurai X dvd for the heck of it, so any recommened or should I find something else?
Yay, Haruko.

SuperKawaiiNeko

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again. The manga is almost ALWAYS better.

As for a Kenshin dvd, Id reccommend Trust/Betrayal. There should be a special edition or directors cut or something like that available. Pick them up and prepare for some awesome anime drama.
President, Moldimort Inc.
A new division of Neko-Spaz enterprises worldwide
I mocked Haru! Ask me how!

Attendee 1998-2001 Volunteer 2002-2008 Swap Meet Staff 2009
Head of Volunteers 2010

Barnes

Yay, Haruko.