New to Fanime. :)

Started by MoukoNeko, December 05, 2008, 08:09:51 PM

MoukoNeko

Hi.  :) I'm new to Fanime, and I was wondering if someone could help me with a couple questions I have. :) (This also happens to be my first con.  :P)
1) If you were to bring some who's the age of 11, would you have to get a parent/guardian to take them around the con? Is there an age requirement to do any of the activities?
2) I heard you need a 'badge' to do certain things. Can I have more info on these? I know nothing about them. XD Also, how much extra would these cost?
3) Did you have fun at Fanime?
Thanks so much to anyone who answers.  :)
P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm new to this kind of thing.
Edit: Another question thats slightly ridiculous XD: Do you have to buy a new ticket everyday? Or does one ticket and badge last all weekend? Thanks to everyone who replies.  :)

xXunyuuXx

Hi and welcome! x3
Fanime is attended by all age but the the only place you are not allow if you are under age to enter is the 18 and up room where they certain anime for adults if you get my drift. But I suggest you have someone to watch over someone who is either an infant or you think who can't be by themselves. Because there are going to be hundreds of people there and events going on and you don't want to take the risk of something happening to him/her.

And yes you do need to purchase a Fanime Badge in order to attend and participate in most of the events. You can buy them register online and buy them for the price of 45 dollars or get them at the door for 55 dollars.

And Fanime is a different experience for me every year so it's fun xD

ewu

Quote from: MoukoNeko on December 05, 2008, 08:09:51 PM
Edit: Another question thats slightly ridiculous XD: Do you have to buy a new ticket everyday? Or does one ticket and badge last all weekend? Thanks to everyone who replies.  :)

We sell one day memberships at-con, but if you plan to go for more than one day pre-registering is the way to go. pre-reg will be cheaper than and two consecutive days. Pre-reg prices go up as we get closer to con, so the sooner the better.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Nyxyin

2) I heard you need a 'badge' to do certain things. Can I have more info on these? I know nothing about them. XD Also, how much extra would these cost? [...] Do you have to buy a new ticket everyday? Or does one ticket and badge last all weekend?
At the start of Fanime every year, people have to line up at Registration to pay money.  Even if we buy the registration online earlier, we have to print out our confirmation message from the web site or e-mail and take it to the Registration area and stand in line to exchange our printout for a membership badge.  If you register early enough, the badge has pretty Fanime art, and it's laminated so many people collect Fanime badges.  The convention itself is huge and has lots of rooms, so they seem to do spot checks to make sure people have actually paid money.  At various different rooms around the convention, there are door guards checking for badges.  If you aren't wearing your badge, they won't let you in.  Full weekend badges are good all weekend, so don't lose them when you go home at night and remember to put them back on when you go back the next day.

People can buy single day badges by standing in line every day, but it's more expensive that way.  The single-day badges aren't laminated, and they have different colors for each day.  If you try to use a paper badge with the wrong color for the day, they won't let you in.

During some years, very special events have extra tickets.  For example, to get into some music concerts, autograph events, and exclusive meet-the-guest parties, they sometimes have an extra ticket that you have to stand in line for ahead of time.  Whether extra tickets will be required and how to get extra tickets for these special events seem to vary from year to year.  Normal things that happen every year (such as anime viewing rooms, dealers room, art room, game room, dance, karaoke, etc.) are all covered by the one registration badge and don't require any extra tickets.

Also, I don't think memberships will still be $55 at the door this year.  Prices seem to have gone up faster this year, so I think it's likely for prices to end up being higher at the door, like maybe $60 or $65.  If you're already sure you want to go for more than one day, don't wait until you get to the door because it's hard to guess how high the price might go.

Shi_Musouka

To add on the tickets, they sometimes give them out as prizes in certain events, like Stage Zero, game shows, at-con contests, tournaments, etc.

You only don't need a badge if you're only going there just to watch anime or any asian films at the screening rooms. Everything else is pretty much badged.

Kanzake

Quote from: Shi_Musouka on December 07, 2008, 07:37:39 PM
To add on the tickets, they sometimes give them out as prizes in certain events, like Stage Zero, game shows, at-con contests, tournaments, etc.

You only don't need a badge if you're only going there just to watch anime or any asian films at the screening rooms. Everything else is pretty much badged.

Actually sometimes you do get a badge check at films and anime. Either that or i have horrid luck
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

Steve.Young

Hi.  :) I'm new to Fanime, and I was wondering if someone could help me with a couple questions I have. :) (This also happens to be my first con.  :P)
1) If you were to bring some who's the age of 11, would you have to get a parent/guardian to take them around the con? Is there an age requirement to do any of the activities?
2) I heard you need a 'badge' to do certain things. Can I have more info on these? I know nothing about them. XD Also, how much extra would these cost?
3) Did you have fun at Fanime?
Thanks so much to anyone who answers.  :)
P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I'm new to this kind of thing.

1) There are no age requirements to enter any of the programming unless stated 16+ or 18+. But those will be stated and I.D.'s will be checked.
2) Yes, a badge is what you will receive after payment is made. A badge is like a receipt that you wear saying "Yes, I did pay, allow me into this room/etc."
3) Hell yes, in fact, I'm attempting to take on more responsibilities @ Fanime this year =).

You do not buy a new membership everyday, as explained by others. Essentially there are different packages that you can purchase and you will get a badge appropriate to what you will need.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Shi_Musouka

Quote from: Kanzake on December 08, 2008, 12:03:19 AM
Quote from: Shi_Musouka on December 07, 2008, 07:37:39 PM

Actually sometimes you do get a badge check at films and anime. Either that or i have horrid luck

Huh... That was new.

Then again, I haven't really gone into screening rooms that much let alone panels so yea. lol. I think either way, as long as people are even on convention property, it's pretty much easier to have their badge exposed. I don't see why badge checks would be a problem as long as you're responsible about wearing it around and keep it safe when/if you take it off in the hotel or wherever you plan to head over to for sleep, otherwise, what was the point in spending $35-$55 on it if no one checks for it when necessary?

sky-chan

Quote from: Nyxyin on December 07, 2008, 07:17:06 PM
People can buy single day badges by standing in line every day, but it's more expensive that way.  The single-day badges aren't laminated, and they have different colors for each day.  If you try to use a paper badge with the wrong color for the day, they won't let you in.
Actually, in 2006, they "lost" my prereg badge and I had to wear a green paper badge all weekend, and they let me into everything fine. But, then again, the printers that would've printed me up a new pretty badge were dead, and we didn't even get the  programs until several months later. So, I dunno about that one. XD;;

Xeluu

As far as badge checks go, I know Monday this past year I had my badge checked at EVERY door I went through, front AND back of the badge (lots of counterfeiting going on apparently.) so be prepared to show your badge.

I've just made it a habit of holding it up so the person checking badges at the door can spot it easily.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

shinjiboy

Welcome, Fanime is loads of fun.  I look forward to it every year.