Keanu Reeves Talks Cowboy Bebop

Started by Mister_E, December 17, 2008, 10:32:18 PM

Mister_E

Does it hurt kids?

MTV's Movie Blog recently spoke to Keanu Reeves about plans for the Hollywood adaptation of popular (in North America at least) sci-fi western anime Cowboy Bebop. According to Reeves, Cowboy Bebop currently revolves around expanding the anime's first episode, "Asteroid Blues," into a two hour movie, with producer Erwin Stoff minding the project at 20th Century Fox. "We've got the rights, we've got a writer," Keanu explained. "He's putting together a scene outline."

"Oh yeah, cool," he said when I asked him about the flick recently. "We're trying to do that."

As fans of the Japanese classic TV series know, "Bebop" follows a crew of bounty hunters traveling around the universe in the year 2071. Reeves hopes to play Spike Spiegel, one of these futuristic cowboys forced to pick up the slack after a population crash and hyperspace gateways have left law-enforcement unable to capture many of the galaxy's most ruthless criminals.

"It's got a Western quality, a Western film noir aspect to it," Reeves said of why he's such a big fan of Shinichiro Watanabe and Keiko Nobumoto's groundbreaking series. "It's got so much style to it, and that's part of its appeal. That kind of Old West, bordertown, low-tech science fiction aspect."

Take a look at this clip and you'll get an idea of why Reeves is not only a perfect-looking fit for Spiegel, but also why he thinks the most important person on the set will be the one trying to translate the series' unique look. "I think that would be a production designer's dream," Reeves said of the flick. "I think you just need a good production designer."

The 26 episode Sunrise tv series and BONES movie followed a hard luck cadre of bounty hunters in the waning days of wild west period of solar system wide colonization: haunted but slick ex-gangster Spike Spiegel, grizzled veteran ex-cop Jet Black, gambler/femme fatale Faye Valentine, incorrigible hacker Ed, and data dog Ein.

Combining artful homages to Western media, inventive direction from Shinichiro Watanabe and eclectic music from Yoko Kanno, Cowboy Bebop won over many fans when it was released on DVD by Bandai Entertainment and aired on Adult Swim.

:'(
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

AnimeEmperor

I actually like Keanu Reeves, so this idea sounds great to me.....at least in theory.

Kazuko

Keanu would make a boss spike no doubt he has the look of what a spike would look irl its better than say Tom Cruise or Brad pitt

unngh Keanu makes me smile

:U And when they get Zac Efron to be Light for the deathnote adaption I will be one happy person

OH HELL YES <3

Runewitt

Quote from: Kazuko on December 18, 2008, 12:10:09 AM
:U And when they get Zac Efron to be Light for the deathnote adaption I will be one happy person

OH HELL YES <3
and on that day, i shall burn my manga and dig my eyes out with a garden spade.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Mister_E

I want Hollywood to stay out of the Anime Barrel.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

RaddaX2

wow and i just finished rewatching this kick ass series just now. why does it have to be this way?
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Kazuko

Quote from: RaddaX2 on December 18, 2008, 12:26:25 AM
wow and i just finished rewatching this kick ass series just now. why does it have to be this way?
because jappo live action versions are pretty crappy and the US blows thousands on sound effects and what not to make a movie awesome :U

Jerry

I still think Keanu should stick to Bill and Ted Excellent movies.

But I suppose a Live Action Cowboy would be intriguing. I'm more interested who would be hot enough to play Faye Valentine

and do they cast a boy or a girl as Ed.

And personally I dont know any popular trained Corgies that would play an awesome Ein.

To each is own i guess. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

mDuo13

BunofGovt

damn, I was hoping Edward Norton or someone along that talent pool...
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Raymei

oh no.....   

This is a sad day for me.  :( 

lyricaldanichan

It sucks that Keanu Reeves acting is so wooden.. Hmm perhaps have Steven Jay Blum dub Keanus voice?

otakuapprentice

Keanu Reeves would suck as Spike. Simple as that.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Mister_E

G.I.R

Quote from: Mister_E on December 20, 2008, 01:48:25 AM
This is Spike

This is Keanu

Do I need to repeat?
No.  But you're not selling it with those examples.

Mister_E

Quote from: G.I.R on December 20, 2008, 01:59:55 AM
This is Spike

This is Keanu

Do I need to repeat?
I just don't care for is acting, he will kill Spike.

Mizuki

Sounds better than the King of Fighters movie that's being made...

sweetchorizo

Quote from: Mister_E on December 20, 2008, 02:17:54 AM
This is Spike

This is Keanu

Do I need to repeat?

Hmm actually now that I think about it he's played a similar character in constantine, he should be able to play a few words mostly action kinda guy.

Raymei

Quote from: Mizuki on December 20, 2008, 02:21:17 AM
Sounds better than the King of Fighters movie that's being made...

Or the DBZ one they've already made  T_T  trailer leaked out not too long ago and (I think it's FOX?) pulled it within the hour.  It.  Looks.  Awful.

Quote from: sweetchorizo on December 20, 2008, 03:21:48 AM
Quote from: Mister_E on December 20, 2008, 02:17:54 AM
This is Spike

This is Keanu

Do I need to repeat?

Hmm actually now that I think about it he's played a similar character in constantine, he should be able to play a few words mostly action kinda guy.

Constantine is *not* like Spike.

I think the voice alone makes this a no-sale for me.

Kazuko

:U Im pretty sure Keanu is going to be studying the character to get a sense of likeness to bring to the big screen all actors do this. I remember that some actors take it to the next level teehe so dont count him out for sure, Hes done some pretty decent work sure his voice is a bit of a off set for some but chill why dont you, the movie hasent been out and everyone is bashing it because Keanu is in it oh go bawww after the movie is out.

Like I said the US adaptations are better than the japanese versions such as the japanese live action of DB that crap was pretty funny and bad x) had no plot whatsoever the US adaptation actually has a sense of plot with it.

@Mizuki: :U im assuming KoF will be staring an all mexican cast so they can relate to the mexicans who swarm it now?