Increased Security at Fanime 09

Started by N.E.R.V.agent220, December 25, 2008, 03:08:20 PM

N.E.R.V.agent220

For the protection of all the attendees, staffers, volunteers and Guests of Honor. The San Jose Police Department, Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department, The CHP, Adult Probation Department, and Gang Task Force should patrol the perimeters of Fanime. which includes nearby eating places, A 3 city block perimeter towards Downtown San Jose and The Civic Audiotorium should a big name band makes their appearence. The con population will NOT be victims of outside curruption throughout the streets of San Jose.
         For a fun and safe FANIME 2009.

sysadmin

This is an odd proposal...

You want a lockdown con?  Even WonderCon and AX don't need to resort to those tactics.

Is there an actual threat you're thinking about, or just general overreaction to nothing?

ewu

those people in cosplay scare me too....are they in a cult?
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kanzake

lol what danger are we in? Are the bad people who hate us otaku and cosplayers gonna come to fanime and beat us D:

Hasnt happened at a fanime yet, not to my knowledge o-o;

Aside from the Jesus worshippers and anon running around. :P
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

ewu

=-O *shivers a thought of jesus worshipers*

kinda admires anon tho.....
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on December 25, 2008, 03:08:20 PM
                   For the protection of all the attendees, staffers, volunteers and Guests of Honor. The San Jose Police Department, Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department, The CHP, Adult Probation Department, and Gang Task Force should patrol the perimeters of Fanime. which includes nearby eating places, A 3 city block perimeter towards Downtown San Jose and The Civic Audiotorium should a big name band makes their appearence. The con population will NOT be victims of outside curruption throughout the streets of San Jose.

We do have SJPD @ con, outside of con, and at the Civic. I don't know about 3 city blocks, that is kinda paranoid.

Sheriff's...? Adult Probation Department (WTF?)....CHP (ok......)....Gang Task Force....(....huh? cosplayers are gang members)

Is this a serious proposal or are you just being stupid? I vote for the latter.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Hakaru_chan

it doesn't hurt to always play it safe right? i mean better safe than sorrie correct? but.. increased protection around the 3 blocks... i mean, wouldn't that cost money?

and unlike here in my city, san jose isn't bankrupt so your police patrol force is already doing their job with enough numbers...-
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

ewu

In the convention center, we have the presence that we believe is appropriate. For the area around the convention, the city and law enforcement is aware of our convention and I trust in their judgment and experience over the need for our con to specifically request or outline the level of law enforcement in the area.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Emerge

Local law enforcement - not your personal army.

PyronIkari

Okay... even paranoid wise...

I can understand the SJP, the Alameda Sheriffs...

But why the hell would you want the CHP, Adult Probation, and Gang Task Force there?

... CHP... California High Patrol. Why would you want... officers that specifically work california freeways/highways... on location? They have like jurisdiction there for one... and what would they do?

Adult Probation. Huh? For what?

Gang Task Force. HAHAHAHAHA! Dude, do you even know what the Gang Task Force does?

Yuu

Im not a resident of CA so I dont know exactly who all of these people are.

Question of extremety aside; I like the idea of having real law enforcement at a convention.

Not so much to protect con-goers from the general populous, but because there is a seriosu problem ( at all conventions)  with  staff/ volenteers overstepping their boundaries and confusing Con poliocy, and  " I dont like" with law, and worst of all throwing their wieght around where they have NO jurisdiction. (ie public space)

" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: Yuu on December 26, 2008, 01:59:53 AM
Im not a resident of CA so I dont know exactly who all of these people are.

Question of extremety aside; I like the idea of having real law enforcement at a convention.

Not so much to protect con-goers from the general populous, but because there is a seriosu problem ( at all conventions)  with  staff/ volenteers overstepping their boundaries and confusing Con poliocy, and  " I dont like" with law, and worst of all throwing their wieght around where they have NO jurisdiction. (ie public space)

Despite the title of "Increased Security at Fanime 09", what you're trying to point out probably isn't exactly relevant to what's being discussed here. I doubt having more "real law enforcement" would actually help replace the volunteers poor ethics. If anything, it'd be a better suggestion to just have the volunteers improve, otherwise, learn how to deal with them. If they're overstepping their boundaries, then point it out to them and/or bring them to a higher authority.

From what I know, SJSU officers are present on con grounds as is, and the above mentioned departments in the OP wouldn't do anything to the safety of FanimeCon in reality, other than being really paranoid.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

sweetchorizo

I kinda like the idea of otaku gang members - I would like to claim the east sanjo naruto gang and have the funkiest and longest gang signs  :P

jemz

Quote from: N.E.R.V.agent220 on December 25, 2008, 03:08:20 PM

As Eric and Steve stated, yes, we do have SJPD during the entirety of the convention.

When we had a popular band come (aka last year's MF guest, AN CAFE), we had professional security for the venue and every other possible safety precaution.

Your suggestions for other agencies to come and patrol the convention is a bit far-fetched. Just because you don't see the steps we take to protect our attendees, does not mean Fanime is unsafe and in need of higher security.  If the other attendees are respectful of each other and have enough common sense to be safe in a non-convention atmosphere (i.e. their hometown, school, etc), then there shouldn't be a problem in having a fun and safe time around downtown San Jose.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

Raymei

They've only made this single post, I'm hesitant to think they're series, but...
What brought this up?  I didn't think there were any problems last year that would involve the police, so why ask for an increase?

codex biblio

Quote from: Raymei on December 26, 2008, 10:04:44 AM
They've only made this single post, I'm hesitant to think they're series, but...
What brought this up?  I didn't think there were any problems last year that would involve the police, so why ask for an increase?

As you pointed out, this might be some kind of joke. I was actually a little concerned at first too since this is my first Fanime.

I'm not too familiar with the area. Plus, I'm going alone and had planned on staying offsite (not Hilton/Marriott). But the responses from everyone else are reassuring. That, and I try to be responsible when I travel and don't usually do stupid things. (Unless chocolate is involved. I'll pretty much do anything for chocolate  ;))

RaddaX2

Quote from: sweetchorizo on December 26, 2008, 05:22:21 AM
I kinda like the idea of otaku gang members - I would like to claim the east sanjo naruto gang and have the funkiest and longest gang signs  :P

It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: RaddaX2 on December 28, 2008, 03:14:32 PM
Quote from: sweetchorizo on December 26, 2008, 05:22:21 AM

haha isn't that you last year dude? fail...  ;D
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

ewu

Quote from: PyronIkari on December 26, 2008, 01:02:15 AM
... CHP... California High Patrol. Why would you want... officers that specifically work california freeways/highways... on location? They have like jurisdiction there for one... and what would they do?

Cuz I'm a mod....I can:)

CHP also acts as state police and has jurisdiction over the entire state of CA.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom