2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

boots01

Quote from: Udon on April 01, 2009, 09:18:01 AM
How about the uniforms from Vampire Knight? They're Black & White with a tie and dress shoes. Somewhat formal. Here's a pic for reference: http://fc16.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/215/8/2/Vampire_Knight___Zero_x_Kaname_by_j_b0x.png (I will be going as one of the chars, and my friend as the other.)

Alternatively, Suzaku Kururugi in his Knight of Rounds costume: http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/05/10/suzaku-hero-of-the-soldaten-long-post-about-why-suzaku-is-not-evil/ (top photo)

The school uniforms from VK are formal enough imo.  The Code Geass outfit should be ok.  In general, dress military attire would be considered formalwear and depending on the school uniform, they too can be considered formal wear.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Anna

I have a really long white dress (goes down to the floor). Would that be too formal? I don't want to show up in that while everyone's in their black and white lolita casual outfits or something.

boots01

that sounds just fine.  the more formal the better.  we do actually have people to enforce the dress code so people in casual outfits wont be allowed in.  and, lolita outfits are far from casual usually.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

boots01

-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

konataFTW

Quote from: konataFTW on February 11, 2009, 07:33:25 PM
so... so is this ok?

http://dl3.kortenaar.com/pub/31/31753xh3wfo8ghh.jpg

I'm making it already and I was wondering if it is ok

another question!!!

about my dress... it is done! but I am having doubts about making the wings... should I or should I not.. I was thiking making it but wear it in the con and take it off once I get in the ballroom... is that ok? -___-
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Anko

Quote from: konataFTW on April 06, 2009, 10:56:32 AM

another question!!!

about my dress... it is done! but I am having doubts about making the wings... should I or should I not.. I was thiking making it but wear it in the con and take it off once I get in the ballroom... is that ok? -___-

If I were you I wouldn't wear the wings to the ball, simply because it will make it harder for you and the people around you to dance without knocking into, and possibly ruining your wings =(

boots01

i would agree about not bringing the wings to the ball.  with 1000 people or more attending the ball, there is a good chance they could get damaged.  and, as we don't have anywhere to check things like coats etc. we recommend against bringing any props.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

konataFTW

okie dokies I understand... well then, we will see each other there!! :D
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Yukue

would a pleated skirt be okay?
cause that's the only black skirt i have
cosplays-
dunno yet

boots01

as long as your top brings the level of formality of the ensemble to at least business formal, it should be ok.  for example, a nice looking formalish blowse.  and, don't forget that you will need to wear nice shoes too.  no tennis shoes. 
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

arcadiakat

I remembered i read somewhere that we could wear cosplays/costumes that when with the black and white theme and they were formal. my friend would like to know is she able to wear a black and white formal steampunk outfit?
have fabric, will sew. freelace costumer and make-up artist

boots01

as long as the cosplay could be considered formal, yes.  i can't say about the steampunk specifically w/o a reference picture but it will probably be ok.  remember that the attire for this event is preferably the kind of attire one would wear to the opera or the ballet or the like so when putting together your outfits for the event, think to yourself, would i wear this to the opera in san francisco or to a wedding?  if the answer is yes, then you're good to go.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

otaku_duckie

I have a black white and blue dress, will that be okay ? It's mostly blue that's why I'm asking.
Visit my deviantart!
http://i-am-miss-duckie.deviantart.com/
someone tell me how to draw feet! >_<

boots01

color isn't a problem.  the title of black and white usually is an indication that the event is formal.  it refers to the levels of formality usually expected (black or white tie).  black tie is generally considered very formal but white tie is the most formal you can go.  our dress code isn't quite that strict, but we do expect the outfits to be at least somewhat formal.
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

otaku_duckie

Visit my deviantart!