Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

tkdteo

Quote from: CommandantCat on January 30, 2012, 01:06:34 PM
So, just a double check. I am crossplaying for the Ball, So, my Blazer, overcoat, tie, vest, button down and fancy shoes will all be perfectly acceptable?

c:

C,

Sounds like the outfit looks good.  Just make sure that your fancy shoes are the non-marking kind and it should be good.  Also, pants should be slacks or something besides jeans or leggings.  I didn't see mention of pants or anything so I just thought I would add that in. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

CommandantCat

Quote from: tkdteo on January 30, 2012, 01:44:49 PM
I didn't see mention of pants or anything so I just thought I would add that in. 

They are the fanciest of pants. Wonderful slacks. FANCY PANTS. yes.

-CC
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Navashuryn

I haven't yet decided all that I'll be bringing with me/wearing, but I thought I would check on a few of my options to be 100% certain that they would be acceptable. I have this black dress that I wore to my cousin's wedding a few years ago. I don't have an exact picture of it (that I feel comfortable posting), but I've found a similar dress here. The only difference is that the neckline is rounded, and there are no sleeves, and it might hit just a little bit higher on the leg (just below the knee, if not mid-calf).

The other option I was considering was my fancy Renaissance dress (minus the sleeves, since that can make it unbearably hot). I have a few different chemise/blouse options to wear with it, and might even buy/make a new one, depending on what looks best and such. I haven't decided on shoes for either dress, but I'll make sure they are up to par beforehand. *nods*

tkdteo

Navashuryn,

Both dresses look fine to me for the BWBall.  Keep in mind that for dresses, sleeveless is fine the only major concern that we have is that the bottom of the dress does not go higher than 2-3 inches above your knees.  As for shoes, general rule is no tennis shoes and if your are going to wear heals, they cannot be higher than 4 inches and the point of the heel cannot be less than the size of a nickle.  We find that stilletos damage the floor and heels higher than 4 inches may look nice but end up causing more injuries or sore feet by the end of the night.  We do not let anyone on the dance floor without shoes on.  I hope that helps.  Thanks for checking with us. :)

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Navashuryn

Okay, thank you for that input earlier on those dresses. Now, I wanted to check on some possible footwear.  :) Would these boots be alright? Or would something like this be more preferred (I'm thinking of the outsole for both)? I wanted to get a general idea on what kind of outsoles to avoid when searching for possible footwear, lol. The heel part won't be a problem since I lean more toward comfort anyways.

tkdteo

Quote from: Navashuryn on March 08, 2012, 02:33:07 PM
Okay, thank you for that input earlier on those dresses. Now, I wanted to check on some possible footwear.  :) Would these boots be alright? Or would something like this be more preferred (I'm thinking of the outsole for both)? I wanted to get a general idea on what kind of outsoles to avoid when searching for possible footwear, lol. The heel part won't be a problem since I lean more toward comfort anyways.

The 2nd pair of boots would be a better fit.  Boots are allowed if they are part of a cosplay.  However, the boots cannot contain a rubber sole.  The reason for that is it scuffs up the dance floor that we have and leaves marks.  I would probaby recommend other shoes if you could possible swing it because boots get hot while you are dancing and feet tend to hurt more when dancing in boots.  Just some food for thought in regards to the shoes.  I hope that helps.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Navashuryn

Quote from: tkdteo on March 08, 2012, 03:05:33 PMThe 2nd pair of boots would be a better fit.  Boots are allowed if they are part of a cosplay.  However, the boots cannot contain a rubber sole.  The reason for that is it scuffs up the dance floor that we have and leaves marks.  I would probaby recommend other shoes if you could possible swing it because boots get hot while you are dancing and feet tend to hurt more when dancing in boots.  Just some food for thought in regards to the shoes.  I hope that helps.

- Jim

Alrighty. That is exactly what I was wondering; no rubber soles is duly noted, and I will make sure they aren't included in whatever footwear I end up getting. I will definitely keep other kinds of shoes in mind when I actually get somewhere where I can actually shop for them, which will hopefully be soon. Thanks again for the help.  :D

neozero497

Question!

Can we crossplay at the ball? The character wears a really elegant ballgown. I just heard about this and I really want to attend. I'm taking my costume very sincerely and am taking great lengths to be as convincing as possible.

I can't post pics since I'm using my ds but google laura rolla/loran cehack from Turn A Gundam

tkdteo

Quote from: neozero497 on March 09, 2012, 04:53:20 AM
Question!

Can we crossplay at the ball? The character wears a really elegant ballgown. I just heard about this and I really want to attend. I'm taking my costume very sincerely and am taking great lengths to be as convincing as possible.

I can't post pics since I'm using my ds but google laura rolla/loran cehack from Turn A Gundam

Neozero497,

Crossplay is allowed at the BWBall so no worries about that as long as you meet the dress code criteria.  The dress code will be going up soon so keep an eye out for it on either the FanimeCon website or here on the forums.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

neozero497

tkdteo

Quote from: neozero497 on March 09, 2012, 04:53:01 PM
Yes! Yeah

I have pics of the dress I'll be wearing if you would like to approve them.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/File:Loran-design3-turn-a-artbook.jpg

Looks good to me but I just want to make sure, the center is cloth right? Not a midrift?  Just trying to clarify. 
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

neozero497

It is not a midrift. More like a waist band to hold the bottom up.

Kell-chan

Hello ~

Quick confirmation question - would this outfit of Ciel's be appropriate? I only ask because the pants are knee-length:

http://baconflavoredcosplay.deviantart.com/gallery/31685120#/d3jyfda

Thanks in advance!

le_momo

Quote from: Kell-chan on March 10, 2012, 09:28:30 PM
Hello ~

Quick confirmation question - would this outfit of Ciel's be appropriate? I only ask because the pants are knee-length:

http://baconflavoredcosplay.deviantart.com/gallery/31685120#/d3jyfda

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, shorts are not a part of the dress code for appropriate attire. If they were long pants, I would say go for it!

- Rebecca
2017-2024 Extravaganzas Head
2013-2024 Black & White Ball Head
2010-2012 Black & White Ball Instructor/Staff/Second
FanimeCon attendee since 2005

xxToki

I recently purchased a dress on eBay that will be about three or four inches above my knees. Would it still be acceptable, or are moderators really strict about skirt length? If I wore leggings underneath, would it then be allowed?
*Fanime'14 Plans ;;
Christa Renz from Attack on Titan
Haru (ballgown) from The Cat Returns
Junko Enoshima from Dangan Ronpa
Kou Matsouka (fanmade ED outfit) from Free!

Wabbit98

Quote from: xxToki on March 19, 2012, 01:45:59 PM
I recently purchased a dress on eBay that will be about three or four inches above my knees. Would it still be acceptable, or are moderators really strict about skirt length? If I wore leggings underneath, would it then be allowed?

To xxToki,

Do you have a picture of it?  It would help if you posted a link to what it looks like so we can make a decision right now before the Ball.

Thank you,
Kevin
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

PsychoticDame

Just a question,

I've read over the dress code and just want to be on the safe side. Would these shoes be acceptable? http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/PsychoticOtaku/shoes.jpg

Also wanted to make sure my dress is alright. ^^; http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/PsychoticOtaku/dress.jpg

somegirlkatie

tkdteo

Quote from: PsychoticOtaku on April 16, 2012, 04:06:48 PM
Just a question,

I've read over the dress code and just want to be on the safe side. Would these shoes be acceptable? http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/PsychoticOtaku/shoes.jpg

Also wanted to make sure my dress is alright. ^^; http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m608/PsychoticOtaku/dress.jpg

Hello,

The dress looks fine for BWBall.  The shoes look good.  My only concern is the point on the heel.  If it is smaller than a nickel then it will not be allowed in.  The reason for that is because small pointed heels will cause dents in the dance floor, hurt other people's feet if you accidently step on them, and it may get caught on things too.  So it is more of a safety issue.  But other than that it looks fine.  I hope that helps.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

tkdteo

Quote from: somegirlkatie on April 16, 2012, 05:58:18 PM
I was wondering if this outfit would be acceptable? x3

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2009/231/9/b/Snow_Queen__by_Evidoes.png

The outfit looks fine but do keep in mind that you will be dancing around a lot of other people and something that long may get stepped on by other people and the fact that it may be constrictive and not allow you to move as you are dancing.  Those are just my thoughts.  But it should be ok for the BWBall.  I am not sure what shoes you are planning to wear with it, but please remember that there is a dress code for shoes also.  We had a couple of people last year who had great costumes but had to be turned away due to their shoes.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor