Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

tkdteo

The Black and White Ball will be returning to Fanime 2009.  This year, the dance floor will be larger, the music will be extensive, and the night will be one to remember!  I am openning up this thread because there seems to be a lot of questions surrounding the attire allowed into the Black and White Ball. 

As of right now, the attire for the event is formal.  This means for the gents, it will be tuxedo, suits, or the bare minimum of slacks/shirt/and tie.  For the ladies, an evening gown, formal gown, or the bare minimum of dress skirt and blouse.  Cosplays will be welcome as long as they are staying with the formal theme.  So this means no miniskirts, tube tops, tank tops, jeans, shorts, cutoffs, sneakers, etc...

This event was very popular last year and we are expecting a great turn out again this year.  We want everyone to enjoy the ball and have a great time, so that is why I am postiing this thread.  If you have any questions your outfit for the ball, post them here.  You can even post a picture of your outfit/cosplay here and we will let you know if it will get you into the Black and White Ball.  If you want to keep your outfits a secret til Fanime, send us an email at [email protected] and we will get back to you with an answer. 

Hope to see everyone at the Black and White Ball this year!

- Jim
BW Ball 2nd
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Leyoto

Cosplays '09
---------
~*Walolita
~*Soul Eater - Mizune 3 mouse form
~*AJAA: Apollo Justice (maybe)

(icon by Croik)

boots01

-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

DivineSage

How strictly will the black and white theme be enforced?

Steve.Young

Due to the amount of people who want to get in, strict enough where we will have people at the doors to see if you have appropriate attire.

So yea.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

codex biblio

I think this was asked in a another thread, but I wanted to confirm. "Black and White" refers more to the theme (meaning formal wear) rather than the actual colors, right? So, would a long red qipao be ok? (I usually wear it for formal parties. I have a long black evening gown too, but it's not as comfortable)

DivineSage

Quote from: codex biblio on January 31, 2009, 10:25:15 PM
I think this was asked in a another thread, but I wanted to confirm. "Black and White" refers more to the theme (meaning formal wear) rather than the actual colors, right? So, would a long red qipao be ok? (I usually wear it for formal parties. I have a long black evening gown too, but it's not as comfortable)

This is actually what I meant, sorry for phrasing my question so vaguely.  I understand the formal attire, but must it be black and white, or will color be allowed?

Steve.Young

Quote from: codex biblio on January 31, 2009, 10:25:15 PM

Yes, it means formal. Not the colors (Although if you can, black and white would be the "preferred" colors).
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

konataFTW

so this is the kind of ball where you wear ballgowns and tux?

no cosplay gowns allowed? or is it ok?
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Steve.Young

Cosplay gowns are okay as long as they are formal and within the dress code.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

puyo_pop

is it safe to say the bxw ball is kinda like prom?  so i can reuse my prom dress?

Steve.Young

Quote from: puyo_pop on February 07, 2009, 10:01:51 PM
is it safe to say the bxw ball is kinda like prom?  so i can reuse my prom dress?

Yea, it's semi-like prom.
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

konataFTW

Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

boots01

-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

HuggalotXOmocha

Let's say I have this outfit:

http://www.cosmates.jp/shop/images/products/gothic735_big.jpg

What if the frills under the skirt are pink?

It should be allowed, right? Or does it actually HAVE to be black and white?

tkdteo

HuggalotXOmocha,

The outfit is fine and it doesn't have to be in all black and white.  So if the ruffles underneath are pink that is fine.

- Jim
BW Ball 2nd
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Yaminogame

Is this whiteknight-like outfit okay for the ball?:

Also would it be all right to bring a prob in, like Suzaku's sword, if it was worn around the waist?

boots01

i think both outfits would be fine but we discourage props as they can get in the way of semi-strenuous activity (aka dancing).
-Eugene
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

Yaminogame

Quote from: boots01 on February 15, 2009, 04:52:13 PM
i think both outfits would be fine but we discourage props as they can get in the way of semi-strenuous activity (aka dancing).

So leave the sword in the hotel? Yeah, it may fly up and hit me or someone else.

DruidUlises

I am wondering if this would be acceptable (Though it is unfinished).

White dress, black boots, gloves, and hat, though the corset is brown. Is that okay?