Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

LaughLikeMad

I have a question about a dress I'm already buying and would love to wear to the Ball, but I'm not sure if it's formal enough. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360235061577&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

tkdteo

LaughLikeMad,

I am not sure how formal you are looking to go but the dress that you posted will get you into the Black and White Ball.  It looks find to me. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Mint

Is the dress code strictly male-tuxedo, female-dress/long skirt/blouse? Or can us who have crossplays where those at the dance?

I.E. A girl dressed as Sebastian Michaelis from Kuroshitsuji. Would she be able to wear that? Or even without a crossplay. Can us tom-boy's wear tux's too? :D
2012 YO.
Friday: Yin (Darker than black)
Saturday: Alibaba (Magi); Sheryl (Macross Frontier); CC (Code Geass)
Sunday: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara); Peter Pan (Disney)
Monday: Panda Kigurumi

ININ

Quote from: tkdteo on February 15, 2010, 09:12:58 PM
Inin,

If you could post a pic or send a pic to [email protected] I could give you a definite answer on your cosplay. 

- Jim

Allen Walker cosplay is being made.  Version 1 is the most recognized one.  He's at the center of the pic:  http://dimarkitekt13.blogsome.com/images/dgrayman9.jpg

tkdteo

Inin - If it is the one that I am thinking of it should be fine for the BWBall.  The image you posted won't let me access the picture.

Mint - Cosplays are fine as long as it still follows the dress code.  So you can crossplay too as long as you it fits under the dresscode. 
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

LaughLikeMad

This may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if heels were necessary or if a pair of nice flats would be acceptable. The only reason I'm asking if because I'm pron to falling in heels. ^^;

tkdteo

Quote from: LaughLikeMad on February 28, 2010, 02:24:43 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if heels were necessary or if a pair of nice flats would be acceptable. The only reason I'm asking if because I'm pron to falling in heels. ^^;

Heels are not necessary at the Ball.  We are concerned about your safety so if you need to wear flats that is fine.  However sneakers, flip flops, and sandals will not be allowed into the Ball.  Other than that you should be fine.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Kabuchi

If the cosplay character is supposed to be barefoot, would ballet shoes be acceptable? Also, is this dress ok?

http://www.milanoo.com/upen/v/200907/Chobits-Cosplay-Costume-10225-1.jpg

tkdteo

Quote from: Kabuchi on March 01, 2010, 11:17:13 AM
If the cosplay character is supposed to be barefoot, would ballet shoes be acceptable? Also, is this dress ok?

http://www.milanoo.com/upen/v/200907/Chobits-Cosplay-Costume-10225-1.jpg

If the dress could come down about 3 more inches then it would be fine.  As far as the shoes, I would have to say no to ballet shoes.  They do not offer the support that you would need and I worry about you getting your foot stepped on.  If you could find some flats for it, that would be good.  I hope that helps.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

LaughLikeMad

Quote from: tkdteo on February 28, 2010, 04:01:43 PM

Heels are not necessary at the Ball.  We are concerned about your safety so if you need to wear flats that is fine.  However sneakers, flip flops, and sandals will not be allowed into the Ball.  Other than that you should be fine.

- Jim

Thanks Jim, can't wait for Fanime ^^

Kabuchi

If the dress could come down about 3 more inches then it would be fine.  As far as the shoes, I would have to say no to ballet shoes.  They do not offer the support that you would need and I worry about you getting your foot stepped on.  If you could find some flats for it, that would be good.  I hope that helps.

- Jim
[/quote]

Thank you! Glad to know before I bought anything. ^.^

windgirlwithcruse

Are we allow to wear masquerade mask to the ball?

tkdteo

Masquerade masks are fine to wear to the ball.  :)

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

DarkfallDC

I'm going as Professor Layton to the con, and was wondering whether or not the costume is appropriate? I don't have a picture yet, but I'm trying to stay as faithful as possible. Tophat, black coat, orange shirt, black slacks, green shoes.

If anything, I felt the shoes would be the biggest problem, though I could swap them out with little to no effort. And the hat would probably have to go >.>.

tkdteo

Quote from: DarkfallDC on March 09, 2010, 11:57:36 PM
I'm going as Professor Layton to the con, and was wondering whether or not the costume is appropriate? I don't have a picture yet, but I'm trying to stay as faithful as possible. Tophat, black coat, orange shirt, black slacks, green shoes.

If anything, I felt the shoes would be the biggest problem, though I could swap them out with little to no effort. And the hat would probably have to go >.>.

The top hat and shoes would be fine as long as the shoes are not sneakers, flip flops, or sandals.  When you get a picture of the costume, send me a link or email with it and I can give you an answer.  But based on what you just described to me, everything should be fine. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Angelx624

Yay, heels aren't required. xD I'm gonna be wearing flats with my bunny lolita outfit. :3
(ノ•ω•)ノ Cosplay List:
Rook Hunt
Ukyo (Ranma 1/2)
Satsuki (Totoro)
Freminet (Genshin)
Giyu (KnY)
Rengoku (KnY)
Mikoto Misaka

MyMidnightAffair

Hello hello~~
I'll be cosplaying as either Izumi/Anna-Chan from "He is My Master"
Both uniforms are all the same.
Please tell me if this outfit is appropriate ^^
Thnxx

tkdteo

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on March 11, 2010, 07:02:26 PM
Hello hello~~
I'll be cosplaying as either Izumi/Anna-Chan from "He is My Master"
Both uniforms are all the same.
Please tell me if this outfit is appropriate ^^
Thnxx

MyMidnightAffair,

The Cosplay for Izumi/Anna-Chabn from "He is My Master" would not be appropriate attire for the BWBall.  The length of a dress or skirt would need to be no higher than 3 inches above your knees.  From all the costumes that I have seen and from scenes of the anime, the costume would not fit the semi-formal attire for the BWBall. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

michiko nakano

Jim, why can't ballet shoes work?  I can vouch for them, I've been wearing them almost every day for the past sixteen or so years.  They're the safest shoe out there, and if you're not worried about getting your foot stepped on then can we wear them? 

MyMidnightAffair

Alright, I'll reconsider wearing that to the B&W.B. , thank you ^^
Now, How about the Will of the Abyss's cosplay from Pandora Hearts?
Here is a picture. Scroll down to see the whole pic of the dress:: http://cgi.ebay.com/PANDORA-HEART-Alice-COSPLAY-COSTUME-BEST-SILK_W0QQitemZ320500875480QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9f5740d8#ht_4135wt_1165