Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

Nina Star 9

Wait, no shoes higher than 3"? Is this a new rule? I've worn 5" heels to the ball every year in the past with no problems at all. :< I don't think I own anything shorter than ~4"!

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 11, 2011, 10:08:02 PM
Wait, no shoes higher than 3"? Is this a new rule? I've worn 5" heels to the ball every year in the past with no problems at all. :< I don't think I own anything shorter than ~4"!
I believe it might be a new rule since we either are gonna be on the safe side while dancing on the floor.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Wabbit98

Do not know if it is an official rule yet, the most we were talking about is a real pointy heal like a stiletto and how some people are not used to dancing in that and also stepping on people's feet. 
2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

ice queen

I had a question on an outfit. Since I'm starting to do some dress shopping I was wondering if this is acceptable.

http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet/the-1326/Lolita-Troubadour-cln--Boned-Corset/Detail

or

http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet/the-1199/Gothic-Wa-Lolita-Sapphire/Detail

sorry found another dress. Kinda hope the second one is acceptable.
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

tkdteo

Quote from: ice queen on April 12, 2011, 04:42:05 PM
I had a question on an outfit. Since I'm starting to do some dress shopping I was wondering if this is acceptable.

http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet/the-1326/Lolita-Troubadour-cln--Boned-Corset/Detail

or

http://www.fanplusfriend.com/servlet/the-1199/Gothic-Wa-Lolita-Sapphire/Detail

sorry found another dress. Kinda hope the second one is acceptable.

Ice Queen,

First dress if fine for the BWBall.  2nd dress, the front of the dress would have to be altered so that it goes no higher than 3 inches from your knees as you are standing still.  From the looks in the picture, the front of the dress is a little high.  If you can alter it a bit you might be able to wear it to the ball.  I hope that helps.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Charis

Quote from: OniCourseMusha on April 12, 2011, 12:18:17 AM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 11, 2011, 10:08:02 PM
I believe it might be a new rule since we either are gonna be on the safe side while dancing on the floor.

Official confirmation on this would be lovely (is there an official Ball dress guide posted anywhere?  that would be great), since (a) a lot of formal shoes are above the 3" mark, and (b) there are other shoes besides stiletto heels above 3".  The formal shoes I'd picked up to compromise between my cosplay (which has combat boots -- that I know better than to wear onto a dance floor, given the treads) and the ball look are a 3 1/2" heel, and haven't been able to find a shorter-heeled equivalent.  I'd rather know sooner, which I can still return the shoes and try to find some other acceptable alternative, than later.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Okach

Okay, either my notes are wrong or we got more noise during the meeting than I thought we did.  Jim?

UPDATE: I'm going to say my notes were wrong.  Nothing definitive about heel height has been set...yet.  I will say the purpose of the shoe rules is to a) maintain formality and b) not damage the very nice portable floor that has been rented for the Ball.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Nina Star 9

Well, when a more definite heel rule has been set, I'll post pics of a few shoe choices for approval.

Also, if we do have a thinner heel, can we use those plastic heel guard things that you slip on the end to protect floors and lawns and such?

HakureiSandwih

If I am wearing a full suit and pants will I still have to wear dress shoes? I know it's a bit tasteless to show up in converse but that looks like my only option as of now.

OniCourseMusha

Quote from: HakureiSandwih on April 14, 2011, 07:34:54 AM
If I am wearing a full suit and pants will I still have to wear dress shoes? I know it's a bit tasteless to show up in converse but that looks like my only option as of now.
Yes you still have to wear dress shoes.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

Aiyurisan

I was wondering if these cosplays would be appropriate for the Black & White Ball?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3695/78302845.jpg

If not, any suggestions on how to adjust it to a more appropriate attire?

Thanks!

tkdteo

Quote from: Aiyurisan on April 19, 2011, 02:21:52 AM
I was wondering if these cosplays would be appropriate for the Black & White Ball?

Thanks!

The outfits look ok.  Only suggestions would be please remember that this is a semi-formal event.  If your outfit shows your midriff, it will probably not be allowed in the BWBall.  The other thing that I would suggest is also to remember that this is a dance event also.  Although the sandals are part of the cosplay, you will not be able to dance in them very well and any shoe that is worn needs to have a strap or a backing to it so your foot stays in the shoe.  Also the platform shoes are not going to be allowed because they are boots and do not keep with the semi-formal theme.  Also, platform shoes that have a rubber bottom tend to mark up the floor so that is another reason we would probably not allow the shoes in.  My suggestion is to find dress shoes that are comfortable and non marking to wear to the ball.  You can can then take black material and wrap from your shoe up your leg to make it look like you have boots on. I think that is it for now. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or email [email protected].  Thanks.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

D001

Quote from: tkdteo on April 19, 2011, 06:09:12 AM
The outfits look ok.  Only suggestions would be please remember that this is a semi-formal event.  If your outfit shows your midriff, it will probably not be allowed in the BWBall.  The other thing that I would suggest is also to remember that this is a dance event also.  Although the sandals are part of the cosplay, you will not be able to dance in them very well and any shoe that is worn needs to have a strap or a backing to it so your foot stays in the shoe.  Also the platform shoes are not going to be allowed because they are boots and do not keep with the semi-formal theme.  Also, platform shoes that have a rubber bottom tend to mark up the floor so that is another reason we would probably not allow the shoes in.  My suggestion is to find dress shoes that are comfortable and non marking to wear to the ball.  You can can then take black material and wrap from your shoe up your leg to make it look like you have boots on. I think that is it for now. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or email [email protected].  Thanks.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011

Hello,

Do you have a shoe dress code list (maybe even complete with pics) yet? And if not, will you please put one up as soon as you can?

I ask this because of the recent shoe comments.  First, there's no heels above 3", but then those could be okay as long as they aren't stiletto.  You are also taking away boots (it sounds as though even if they are nice boots).  My dress heels which were purchased specifically to go with my formal gowns are over 3" and could be considered a stiletto (though I do not consider them as such).  The knee high boots I have to go with my cocktail dress are also over 3" and are boots.  I do have a pair of black patent leather booties (looks like a shoe with a high heel), but they most definitely do not go with my gown, and, they are over 3".

Please let us know what to expect with the shoes so we can plan accordingly.  If it's that you want to make sure we are stable on our shoes, then is a walk-test prior to going in be sufficient?

Thanks!
D
D

Next Costumes: Goujun (Saiyuki), Sanzo (Saiyuki), King of Tai (Twelve Kingdoms), Mihai (DOGS), Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon)?, Rapunzel (Tangled)?

Aiyurisan

Thanks!

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011

Thanks a lot for the reply Jim!

So for the cosplay on the left, it will most likely not be allowed in due to the midriff exposure, correct? So if we lengthen the shirt to cover the midriff and then change the platform boots to dress shoes, then the cosplay should be allowed in?

And for the cosplay on the right, it will be appropriate as long as I change the footwear from sandals to strapped heels or flats right?

tkdteo

Quote from: D001 on April 19, 2011, 04:46:28 PM

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011

Hello,

Do you have a shoe dress code list (maybe even complete with pics) yet? And if not, will you please put one up as soon as you can?

I ask this because of the recent shoe comments.  First, there's no heels above 3", but then those could be okay as long as they aren't stiletto.  You are also taking away boots (it sounds as though even if they are nice boots).  My dress heels which were purchased specifically to go with my formal gowns are over 3" and could be considered a stiletto (though I do not consider them as such).  The knee high boots I have to go with my cocktail dress are also over 3" and are boots.  I do have a pair of black patent leather booties (looks like a shoe with a high heel), but they most definitely do not go with my gown, and, they are over 3".

Please let us know what to expect with the shoes so we can plan accordingly.  If it's that you want to make sure we are stable on our shoes, then is a walk-test prior to going in be sufficient?

Thanks!
D

Hello D,

I am working on getting the dress code online so people can read it.  As of right now, with the shoes that you are describing in your posts I can comment on them a bit.  For the height of the heel, we are just worried about people being able to dance in them.  What we have seen in the past is where the heels are high and it is ok for the first 30 minutes to an hour but when people have tried to dance in high heels for a long period of time, their feet get tired and it leads to most people trying to dance barefoot.  The other thing is, when heels are high, the part that touches the floor ends almost in a point.  The pointed heels can damage the dance floor that we have for BWBall.  Dancing in heels can be difficult also and we want to minimize the risk of injury to the person who is wearing the heels as well as anyone around them.

Now that is a couple of the reasons behind the changes in the dress code for shoes.  Keep in mind that this is a semi-formal event and we would like people to dress to fit the semi-formal dresscode.  If you would like to wear boots with heels that is fine as long as it fits the semi-formal theme.  As for the height of the heel I feel that 4 inches would be the limit on the height for the heels.  Anything beyond that would be uncomfortable to dance in.  As far as the end of the heel that touches the floor, it cannot be less than 1/2 inch in diameter.  So those are the restrictions in regards to the heels.  I hope that helps.  An update on this will be coming out soon on the Fanime website.

We want everyone to enjoy their time at the BWBall.  The dress code is to keep up with the semi-formal theme of the evening but more importantly it is for the safety of yourself as well as other congoers.  If you have any further questions or concerns, email me me at [email protected] or you can post here.  Hope to see you at the Black and White Ball!

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

tkdteo

Quote from: Aiyurisan on April 19, 2011, 08:57:14 PM

Thanks!

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011

Thanks a lot for the reply Jim!

So for the cosplay on the left, it will most likely not be allowed in due to the midriff exposure, correct? So if we lengthen the shirt to cover the midriff and then change the platform boots to dress shoes, then the cosplay should be allowed in?

And for the cosplay on the right, it will be appropriate as long as I change the footwear from sandals to strapped heels or flats right?

Aiyurisan,

I need to clarify myself in regards to the boots.  If they are dress boots or are part of a cosplay they are ok.  The only thing I worry about is if the mark up the floor and if you will be able to dance in them during your stay at BWBall.  Platforms tend not to be comfortable shoes to dance in and depending upon how they are, they can be hard to dance in also.  So keep that in mind.  As for the cosplay outfits, with the one on the left, if you extend the shirt to cover the midriff that should be fine.  For the one on the right, you would need to have a shoe that has a backing so the sandles would not work.  Your suggestion of strapped heels or flats would be fine.  There will be an update coming out soon in regards to dress code on the Fanime website so keep an eye out for it.  Hope that helps.

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

D001

Quote from: tkdteo on April 20, 2011, 02:24:04 AM
Hello D,

I am working on getting the dress code online so people can read it.  As of right now, with the shoes that you are describing in your posts I can comment on them a bit.  For the height of the heel, we are just worried about people being able to dance in them.  What we have seen in the past is where the heels are high and it is ok for the first 30 minutes to an hour but when people have tried to dance in high heels for a long period of time, their feet get tired and it leads to most people trying to dance barefoot.  The other thing is, when heels are high, the part that touches the floor ends almost in a point.  The pointed heels can damage the dance floor that we have for BWBall.  Dancing in heels can be difficult also and we want to minimize the risk of injury to the person who is wearing the heels as well as anyone around them.

Now that is a couple of the reasons behind the changes in the dress code for shoes.  Keep in mind that this is a semi-formal event and we would like people to dress to fit the semi-formal dresscode.  If you would like to wear boots with heels that is fine as long as it fits the semi-formal theme.  As for the height of the heel I feel that 4 inches would be the limit on the height for the heels.  Anything beyond that would be uncomfortable to dance in.  As far as the end of the heel that touches the floor, it cannot be less than 1/2 inch in diameter.  So those are the restrictions in regards to the heels.  I hope that helps.  An update on this will be coming out soon on the Fanime website.

We want everyone to enjoy their time at the BWBall.  The dress code is to keep up with the semi-formal theme of the evening but more importantly it is for the safety of yourself as well as other congoers.  If you have any further questions or concerns, email me me at [email protected] or you can post here.  Hope to see you at the Black and White Ball!

- Jim
BWBall Head 2011

Thank you! This helps tremendously.  My dress shoes are out, then, as they fall within the 1/2" and are over 4", but I'll see if one of my other shoes will work and if I have questions, will send you pics for your opinion.  I also passed along the specs to my friend who is coming with me so she can plan as well.

Thanks muchly!
D
D

Next Costumes: Goujun (Saiyuki), Sanzo (Saiyuki), King of Tai (Twelve Kingdoms), Mihai (DOGS), Sailor Pluto (Sailor Moon)?, Rapunzel (Tangled)?

Rin_chan

Hello, I'm wondering if this dress will be appropriate for the Ball. I already tried it on in the store, so I know for a fact that it goes to my knees in length. I'm no where near a models height XD everything is longer on me.

http://www.loveculture.com/Item/ItemDetailView.aspx?StyleId=1031973

Nina Star 9

That's a pretty reasonable shoe policy, but I have a question.

All my potential shoe choices have heel widths just at or just under 1/2". If I wore a plastic heel cap (or something similar) over them, would the shoe then be acceptable? Or would they still be unacceptable even with the plastic protector?

Also, I'm assuming it is 1/2" at the narrowest part of the bottom of the heel, correct? (Since heels aren't prefectly circular, but rather oblong with one flat side, at least all of mine are~)

tkdteo

Quote from: Rin_chan on April 20, 2011, 09:00:36 PM
Hello, I'm wondering if this dress will be appropriate for the Ball. I already tried it on in the store, so I know for a fact that it goes to my knees in length. I'm no where near a models height XD everything is longer on me.

http://www.loveculture.com/Item/ItemDetailView.aspx?StyleId=1031973

Rin Chan,

Dress looks fine.  Do keep in mind that it may get chilly at night and there is no coat check at BWBall.  But what you have there is fine.

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 20, 2011, 10:00:02 PM
That's a pretty reasonable shoe policy, but I have a question.

All my potential shoe choices have heel widths just at or just under 1/2". If I wore a plastic heel cap (or something similar) over them, would the shoe then be acceptable? Or would they still be unacceptable even with the plastic protector?

Also, I'm assuming it is 1/2" at the narrowest part of the bottom of the heel, correct? (Since heels aren't prefectly circular, but rather oblong with one flat side, at least all of mine are~)

Nina Star 9,

My only concern with the heel cap is if it will cause you to slip while on the dance floor.  The main reason for the heal size is due to safety concerns and to not damage the dance floor.  I would have to say that even with the heel covers, the heels would still not be allowed into the BWBall.

The 1/2 inch part is referring to the heel point where it meets the floor.  So at the narrowest part of the bottom of the heel as you stated.  I hope that helps.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor