Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

SerenaDoll

tkdteo

Quote from: SerenaDoll on April 17, 2012, 07:36:05 AM
http://www.rivithead.com/catalog/victorian-120.html
i was wondering if these shoes are alright?
If not are flats acceptable?

Serena,

Boots are not part of the dress code and therefore not going to be allowed into the ballroom.  Flats are permitted so those should be fine. 

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

Charis

Quote from: tkdteo on April 17, 2012, 03:45:46 PMBoots are not part of the dress code and therefore not going to be allowed into the ballroom.  Flats are permitted so those should be fine.
- Jim

In the past, I recall formal boots being allowed -- is that different this year (and if so, why the change)?  (I prefer boots as dress shoes because of the ankle support, so I've a vested interest in the matter.)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

SerenaDoll

Quote from: tkdteo on April 17, 2012, 03:45:46 PM
Quote from: SerenaDoll on April 17, 2012, 07:36:05 AM
http://www.rivithead.com/catalog/victorian-120.html
i was wondering if these shoes are alright?
If not are flats acceptable?

Serena,

Boots are not part of the dress code and therefore not going to be allowed into the ballroom.  Flats are permitted so those should be fine. 

- Jim

This would be part of cosplay but thank you.  I shall wear my flats then

Nina Star 9

I am also curious about the lack of boots this year. I was planning on wearing formal boots (knee-high, chocolate brown suede, ruffled top, ribbon lacing, thick heel) for the comfort and for the support, plus, they have a thick enough heel to be allowed. I wore another pair of formal boots last year with no issues, and I tend to find boots extremely comfortable, so why the change?

I was planning on wearing these boots with a knee-length dress (that I have worn for the past two years and is perfectly formal and within the dress code), if that makes a difference.

I guess I'll have to go find another pair of shoes, then!

MidnightPrincess94

wat if the boots are hidden under our dress? is tht ok? cuz other thn tht i have no shoes... :-[

RitsuHime

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 17, 2012, 10:06:03 PM
I am also curious about the lack of boots this year. I was planning on wearing formal boots (knee-high, chocolate brown suede, ruffled top, ribbon lacing, thick heel) for the comfort and for the support, plus, they have a thick enough heel to be allowed. I wore another pair of formal boots last year with no issues, and I tend to find boots extremely comfortable, so why the change?

I was planning on wearing these boots with a knee-length dress (that I have worn for the past two years and is perfectly formal and within the dress code), if that makes a difference.

I guess I'll have to go find another pair of shoes, then!

Do you mind if I ask where you got those boots?
I really like the way they look.  : )

Nina Star 9

The originals are from Liz Lisa, a Japanese gyaru brand, but I got cheap knock-offs (that are still really nice quality for only being ~$25) on Taobao a while back. I'm sure you can still find plenty of them there. I'd give you the link to the exact shop, but I don't remember it, haha.

RitsuHime

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 17, 2012, 11:05:58 PM
The originals are from Liz Lisa, a Japanese gyaru brand, but I got cheap knock-offs (that are still really nice quality for only being ~$25) on Taobao a while back. I'm sure you can still find plenty of them there. I'd give you the link to the exact shop, but I don't remember it, haha.

Thanks for answering, I'll just have to scout on Taobao then. :)

tkdteo

Hi everyone,

Ok I am going to have to clarify on a comment I made earlier, I apologize about the confusion.  In regards to the boots, if they are part of a cosplay then they will be allowed in, however, the heel on the boot still cannot come to a point smaller than the size of a nickel and the bottom of the boot cannot be rubber soled.  If the boot is not part of a cosplay, it will not be allowed into the ballroom.

My earlier comment was partly due to me not checking if the boot was part of a cosplay or not.  The concerns that I have with boots are that they are hard to dance in if you plan to dance for an extended amount of time and they can cause painful accidents if you step on someone toes (yes it hurts regardless if you have boots on also :P).  If you do decide to wear boots underneath your dress and they are covered up, they still will be checked.  Again, if it is part of a cosplay then it will be fine, if it is not, then it will not be allowed in.

I hope that clarifies things up a bit.  Thanks for the questions and see you guys at the Ball.

- Jim
2010-2012 BWBall Head
2009 BWBall 2nd
2008 BWBall Instructor

ININ

tkdteo, I want to follow up on your boots for cosplay.  I cosplayed Allen Walker and I was allowed in wearing my boots.  Obviously some D. Gray Man cosplayers wear boots with rubber soles (and it's a good B&W cosplay).  Boots and all footwear with rubber soles are not allowed whether we cosplay or dress semi-formal or formal?

I may be making the no rubber sole rule complicated.  I'm concern others who wear dress shoes thinking, "I'm wearing dress shoes so I'm okay" and not worry about their dress shoes with rubber soles.  All my dress shoes have rubber soles.  Thanks for reading.

Okach

We're concerned mainly with the shoes marking up the dance floor, so here's a simple test - find a sidewalk and scrape the soles of your shoes on it. If you see the pavement marked up, don't wear those to the ball.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Nina Star 9

So, just to clarify --

If I wore the shoes I posted above with this dress, I wouldn't be allowed in, but if I wore a cosplay with the same shoes, it would be fine? I don't quite understand the logic there (it seems like if boots are allowed, boots should be allowed whether as a part of a cosplay or not, but I realize that you guys have your reasons), but I think I'll be able to work around it. I'll just have an excuse to go shoe-shopping, haha~
I was still hoping for boots for the comfort and support of them, but oh well, I can always get something else. (It's not like I don't own a lot of shoes that are formal enough -- almost all my shoes are, they just all happen to be boots or have too high and/or too pointy of heels for the Ball)

Vasyenka

I have a question regarding make up!

My dance partner and I will will be in formal attire (myself in a dress adhering to the rules, and my partner in a suit regarding same rules), but! She will have fake tears of blood on her face. It won't be anything majorly gory, just a drop or two from each eye. There will be nothing zombie-esque or imitating decayed flesh, just strictly the blood trickle from the eyes. Will this be acceptable, or are there certain restrictions regarding make up as well? This is a part of her cosplay, mind you~ ^^

Also, will eye masks be accepted? They won't be blocking vision, but they're formal none the less~

Thanks!
Fanimu 2022 Cosplay Lineup:
[Rutile] [Zhongli] [Sakuya Izayoi] [Tifa Lockhart] [Chain Chompette]

Okach

Makeup and or masks are fine.  Just be sure to reassure any kids if you are scaring them :).

@Nina - I believe the motivation for banning them this year was that last year we had a few unpleasant foot stomps by people wearing similar types of boots to yours.  We advocate primarily dance shoes and the like for the reason that in case someone stumbles onto you, the chance of injury is lessened.  We'll need to clarify that further since the dress code shows that dress boots are allowed.  We'll keep you posted. 
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

ININ

@Okach, definitely please clarify the dress code regarding boots.  It's going to affect some cosplayers.  I know a few cosplayers who wears boots, and their cosplays look great wearing them to the B&W ball.  I follow the rules =)

Moreover, I believe you rubber sole shoes can mark up the dance floor.  I avoid pivoting lol ;) Seriously, what if my shoes or boots pass the simple test and B&W staff says I can't enter the ball when they inspect my footwear?

Lady_Hoshi

Fanime Con 2015 Cosplay:
Fri: Unknown
Sat: Unknown
Sat. night: Panda kigurumi
Sun: Queen Nehelenia (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon)
Mon: Unknown

Wabbit98

2010 - 2013 :Black and White Ball Staff

2014-2015 : Black and White Ball Department Second

2015 : Extravaganzas Division Second

bluebomber

What is the policy on people dressed as Nazis? Are they going to be allowed in again?

MidnightPrincess94

HOLY COW!!!!!!! there was nazis last year??!! O.O not good for us hetalians...eh?