Black and White Ball Attire Questions - Post them here

Started by tkdteo, January 06, 2009, 10:51:48 AM

le_momo

Quote from: bluebomber on April 25, 2012, 02:56:11 AM
What is the policy on people dressed as Nazis? Are they going to be allowed in again?

From my recollection of last year, the person who you described was in a cosplay. I checked Fanime's costume policy and the only thing I see as being banned is a realistic depiction of any American Military uniform, but nothing relating to military uniforms of other countries and time periods. As the uniform was a formal cosplay, they were allowed in to the Ball, as is everyone who wears a formal cosplay. I also checked other California convention cosplay policies and found no such similar policy on banning any costumes that some may find offensive.

I do hope that this answers your question.

- Rebecca
2017-2024 Extravaganzas Head
2013-2024 Black & White Ball Head
2010-2012 Black & White Ball Instructor/Staff/Second
FanimeCon attendee since 2005

Vasyenka

Quote from: Okach on April 21, 2012, 10:07:37 PM
Makeup and or masks are fine.  Just be sure to reassure any kids if you are scaring them :).
Awesome, thank you! <3
Fanimu 2022 Cosplay Lineup:
[Rutile] [Zhongli] [Sakuya Izayoi] [Tifa Lockhart] [Chain Chompette]

Okach

The word on boots:  Boots worn as part of a formal cosplay will be allowed in, boots otherwise will not.  This lessens the potential for stomp injuries while acknowledging the effort involved in creating a formal cosplay.  To make it easier for the door folks and Ball staffers to let you in, please have a picture of the character that you are cosplaying handy.
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

ININ

Okach, thanks for the confirmation XD  My friends are happy they can proceed in their planned B&W cosplays.

LakuriSyaoran~

I have a question regarding which of my 2 fancier cosplays for Fanime would be preferred that I wear if I decide to attend the b&w ball

Option 1: Sakura, Dragon Queen Version
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb159/LakuriSyaoran/DSCN0943.jpg
(ref since it is not quit complete: ) http://new.cosplaylab.com/lab/4422-209393.jpg  (I wouldn't wear the cloak to the ball)

Option 2: Princess Mi Amore Cadenza
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb159/LakuriSyaoran/jggddtdtr.jpg
And all I'm doing to this is making a short veil on the back of my head, then have ears, horn and wings (since shes an alicorn)

-Draw back on both dresses is they both have trains, which I could pin up.
-Sakura: the top back of my dress is a little open but that generally changes on how well its laced up I don't know if that takes away from the formality or not.
-Cadence: Dress touches the floor on all sides.

clarapark96

Will crossplaying be allowed? I plan on crossplaying as Allen Walker in his usual white button down shirt, brown vest, black slacks and dressy shoes.

Okach

@Lakuri - both options look fine, though I'll defer to Jim's opinion if he posts :).

@clara - Crossplay is fine. 
Staff Instructor since 2010. 
Staff Marketing Lead since 2018
Staff Marketing Second

https://www.facebook.com/FanimeConBWBall/
https://twitter.com/FanimeConBWBall/

Nina Star 9

Thanks for clarifying that boot question!

Since I can't wear my brown boots, are these shoes okay? (Mine are white pleather instead of red polka-dotted fabric, but this is the only pic I can find of the exact style from this brand.) The heel is the size of a nickel and ~3" in height, and the sole is non-marking.

If these work, I might not have to go show shopping after all!

Thanks~

dango-chan

Excuse me, I was wondering if this dress would be appropriate for the Black And White Ball if I were to put my hair up, wear a shawl, and wear formal jewelry?

le_momo

@ Nina Star 9
Those shoes look great to me! ^^

@ dango-chan
I'm not too sure about the length of the dress. But if it's longer than 2 inches above the knee, you should be fine.

Nina Star 9

Perfect! Thank you.

As for dango-chan's dress, the website is putting it at ~34" long, which should be fine on anyone of average height, but I wouldn't know for sure, since their measurements might be off and dang-chan might be tall. From what I know of Bodyline's clothes and how it looks proportionally, it is meant to be a "knee-length dress," but again, it depends on the wearer's height and how it was actually sewn. So if she doesn't get back about how long it actually is. I'd estimate the length to be right about where it needs to be.

Lots of people wear lolita (including myself, haha, typically hime-styled) and lolita-esque dresses (which is what that is ...it wouldn't be terrible without that choker and if it had nicer/less Christmasy lace, actually...the design itself is kind of a cute idea for a low-waisted dress, but I digress) to the ball, so I don't think you should worry too much, dango-chan!

Somebody

Perhaps I've missed this somewhere, so please pardon me if this is a repeat!
For ladies to wear slacks and a dress shirt, must they be crossplaying? My ballroom shoes would be awful with a dress or skirt, to which neither I have anything really dressy enough at this point in time...
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

le_momo

As long as you are appropriate in the dress code with your slacks and dress shirt, I don't feel like you must be in crossplay. :)

Ciello

Hello, not an attire question but I can't find anywhere the time cut off for the BW Ball. It starts ay 6pm and goes on until when? If someone knows I'd so so appreciate know. :3
facebook.com/TeamForTheWin
deviantart.com/solesekken
tumblr.com/TeamForTheWin
-Artist-Writer-Leatherworker-

le_momo

Quote from: Ciello on May 07, 2012, 09:37:32 PM
Hello, not an attire question but I can't find anywhere the time cut off for the BW Ball. It starts ay 6pm and goes on until when? If someone knows I'd so so appreciate know. :3

Midnight or thereabouts. ^^

VoidKnight

le_momo

Quote from: VoidKnight on May 08, 2012, 10:16:57 AM
I will be wearing something like this, I hope it is alright. Prince Lucanor Giovanni

Looks great to me! Just make sure that your boots(?) don't leave scuff marks. :)

VoidKnight

Quote from: le_momo on May 08, 2012, 01:14:00 PM
I will be wearing something like this, I hope it is alright. Prince Lucanor Giovanni

Looks great to me! Just make sure that your boots(?) don't leave scuff marks. :)

Thanks. I have actually not decided what sort of shoes or boots I will be wearing. This will be my first time attending the BWBall. Do you have any suggestions that would fit with the overall feel of this costume? The character isn't very well known so I could probably get away with not strictly following his outfit.

le_momo

Quote from: VoidKnight on May 08, 2012, 01:53:04 PM
Quote from: le_momo on May 08, 2012, 01:14:00 PM

Thanks. I have actually not decided what sort of shoes or boots I will be wearing. This will be my first time attending the BWBall. Do you have any suggestions that would fit with the overall feel of this costume? The character isn't very well known so I could probably get away with not strictly following his outfit.

Personally, dress or ballroom shoes or dress boots would look perfectly suitable to me. As for the dress code about shoes, if you have any leather or suede soled shoes, those are preferred. Brown or black seem to fit with the costume you plan on wearing, so if you're planning on buying shoes (or digging through your closet), that will probably make it a bit easier to find something. :)

VoidKnight

Thanks for the advice, I shall begin my search  :D