do you know how to make plushies?

Started by linda_bear, January 08, 2009, 01:45:36 PM

linda_bear

I have a project idea to spread the joy of making plushies, and I am looking for a partner or two to make this possible.

I am looking for someone who has made a plushy tutorial before, or is thinking of making one in the near future.
This is not really for profit, since I am doing this for the love of DIY. Please let me know if you are interested.

this is my deviant .. please let me a msg if you interested! 
http://p-inkpea.deviantart.com/
(note: there's nothing plushy related on my deviant... im giving it out for communication purposes)

Xeluu

Just figured I'd post here and kinda post general stuff about plush making.

Generally, it's a figure it out yourself kinda deal. I belonged to one of the bigger communities for it online for a long while, and the rule of thumb was: figure it out yourself.

It's not to be mean, but each plush maker has their own unique style, which they've worked many hours to "perfect" more or less. There was a time in which an artist had posted a pattern, but after it had been abused too many times, she removed it from her site.

You'll be VERY hard pressed to find someone willing to make a tutorial. Your best bet is to make one yourself (through general knowledge of sewing.) or to buy an officially licensed plush and carefully take it apart(with a seam ripper.) to make your own pattern.

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but that's really the way things are.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

linda_bear

First of all... thank you for your time and input. 

I totally agree with you on the fact that handmade goodies all have a certain uniqueness that can only come from the pain and joy of figuring things out for yourself. 

My project has a specific audience and goal in mind.  I would love feedback (from you and others) ont 

The goal is to jump start start someone that never sewn anything before.   

The idea is to
1) give them a taste of the craft
2) take away the logistics of starting a project (like having to buy a huge piece something just to get a little nip of a particular color)
3) build DIY confidence

I want to make a kit for curious by standers to jump in. Kit would include the materials for one or just a few simple stuff, patterns and website link to the instructions. On the web site would be detailed tutorial with stuff like pictures and you tube vids.

And if the individual enjoyed the experience, then they can go on to more advanced plush making themselves.
what do you think?

if you're someone who is experienced... would you have liked something like this back in the day?
if you're someone who is news .... how interested would you be in this kit?

XpHoBiaX

I think if you want to do this you should. It would be a great experience, it's very thoughtful and courteous.

These are some pointers to keep in mind, however.

Regardless of who you are and what you do, once you put something up on the internet it is subject to publicity and will be 'stolen'. Unless you copy right and protect your work, have a business license, or something that represents and protects YOU and your work, anything and everything you post on the internet is free to the public. (one of the reasons why I haven't posted artwork)
No matter if you are on a community forum, or not.

Yes, it takes experience, trial and error and all sorts of other factors for making something unique and then perfecting it. You never learn if you don't try. However, tutorials for all sorts of craft related projects can be found on almost any craft site.
There is nothing so hidden or secretive, that can't be found on the internet. If you want to find something bad enough, dig for it. If it isn't in the links section I made, I could definately find a pattern site and post it. I need to update it anyways.

I think tutorials are a good thing, and it's at your own discretion to place them online. I don't know about a kit. Try it out with friends first, and see how that goes. See what it costs you to make this kit. Work out all the kinks before you get strangers involved.

I won't tell you it's not possible. Becuase it could happen.
I think you have a good idea. Try it and see what happens.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??