critique please?

Started by linda_bear, January 08, 2009, 03:03:11 PM

linda_bear

http://p-inkpea.deviantart.com/

after being really busy for a while with a lot of work with my day job...  i am about to launch into "sprint" of working on my art... and to help me get a jump start .. some critique would be soooo appreciated.. (be honest!)

My goal is to make a handsome portfolio of things to show for myself (and sell some art if possible) for fanime.  I love drawing people.. and i love drawing stories also!  I'v always been a bit shy with my art .. so this is a big step for me.  :-\

Thank you for your time!!!!

thank you again!  :)

Gwydion

Nice sketches. Of course, I have no talent for drawing whatsoever, but I think they look nice. ^^

XpHoBiaX

I think you are well on your way for success.

A handsome portfolio has about 50-100 pieces of work in it. It's actually way easier to sell regular artwork, so maybe a little less. You could probably sell your skill and talent with your comic you have going. It's real good. Have you ever thought of getting it published? I think there were flyers going around in artist alley. Either way, I think you could sell your work easily.
You may want to draw things that apply to what people want to buy. Especially at fanime. Fanart does amazingly well. If you do it just right.

In a portfolio, I've been told that you want to have a little bit of everything from perspective, realism, cartoon, etc in there. You also want your best work saved for last. Build it up from good-very best. Be sure to include a couple mediocre pieces in mediums you haven't worked in, to show your versatility. Be aware that what you think may be great...may not be so great to someone else. Also, be prepared for harsh criticism, and don't let it crush you either.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

linda_bear

wow.. really~! 50 to 100 pieces?!
*nod nod*

thank you so much for the encouragement!

XpHoBiaX

No problem. 
It may be less, I am not sure. (Maybe 35?) Just gather your best work and see what you have. Make sure you keep them safe as well. Treat your work like gold.
50-100 is approximately a years' worth of work. You can always change and update it as well. Which you should.

You could probably have a seperate portfolio for your comic as well. ;) You do very well in that sort of medium.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??