Would you recognize it, Fanime goers?

Started by Roguethe, January 10, 2009, 01:04:26 PM

Roguethe

So last year there was the lolita'd Naruto Sexy no Jutsuu
And in 2007 there was a Rangiku who altered her hakama to end i a poofy dress.
Now you could tell who these were even though they changed the costume, because they kept the general look of the costume, aswell as general look of the character all togeather.
But what if I cosplayed a character where you had no clothes or human looks to go off of? Do you think you'd get it?

I'm going to be cosplaying Amaterasu from Capcom's Okami next year, only I'm not doing it in a furry suit, I'm making my own outfit that I think symbolizes Amaterasu. But I  wan't to know if you'll all catch on and not just think I'm an OC or something.
Here are the plans:

These are my plans, so I plan on coming with these costume designs, My face obviously won't look like that, but I'm going to try an get full black contacts, wear red eye makeup kind like that and use pale/white makeup. I also plan on getting a plastic wolf mask, painting it white and ading the crimson marking, and wearing it on the side of my head like a Kitsune or tengu mask.

Besides what you see here, I'll also be making Okami's Holy Glaive, and I'll be walking around with a Waka cosplayer.
So do you think it will be easy to recognize?
(Model inspiration, LoverialPhantom)

I draw sometimessss

Katsumiyo

Not sure I'd recognize it right off the bat, but with a Waka I might.
Regardless I'd probably take a picture anyway, that's a really cute outfit. XD

Roguethe

Thankyou ^^
I do hope people catch on hehe.

I draw sometimessss

ToshiX

I must say I love the game and will prob spot you right on XP
the design looks great so I'll prob look for you and sk for a pic too
"When The Snow Melts, What Does It Become?"
"It Becomes Water"
Bzz" Bzz, Wrong It Becomes Spring Silly"
"Spring Is My Favorite Season Of All"

Cosplays
???

Roguethe

I would be happy to pose for pics.
Figuring out good poses currently in fact ^^
Thankyou X3
My Dad's good with building stuff. So I'll have a good Glaive aswell. XD Yay.

I draw sometimessss

Kanzake

Adorable Pictar. If you make it, itll be full of win :D
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

roth14

I would say it depends on how observant the person is and how recognizable it is. For when i did sexy not Jutsu  Naruto i made it so that it ws his normal outfit, just for a female. Another person i met did the same thing except it was Naruto in casual clothes and no one recognized her.

Kandybar

You might want to add a tiny Issun - that would probably make it a little more recognizable.  But I think it looks cute!

Roguethe

Quote from: Kandybar on January 12, 2009, 10:26:21 AM
You might want to add a tiny Issun - that would probably make it a little more recognizable.  But I think it looks cute!
I was thinking the same thing. But I just don't know where I could put him xD

I draw sometimessss

Jun-Watarase

Can't really tell what it's supposed to be, specifically, because... it looks like a typical fox demon-inspired design. Whatever character it's supposed to be, the distinguishing features aren't very apparent. A lot of anime-based fox demon designs have those sort of details. It's still cute, nonetheless. Wear it because you want to wear it. People recognizing you shouldn't be a concern unless you're trying to hoard attention, as long as you catch the attention of the demographic the fandom was made for. Though, I admit-- if you're able to make the details and props similarly planned in the drawing, and made with quality, it'd definitely catch my attention too. Though, if anything, it looks like a pretty steep investment to make.

Anyway, you can't exactly expect random people to just recognize cosplays you make that are not canon. Especially if you're just wearing casual clothes and trying to pass of a character... only in casual clothing, that's just a horrible expectation to make. Say I'm wearing a t-shirt and generic jeans... and I put on a green wig (not something I'd do, but anyway), I don't expect people to come up to me and be like, "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU COSPLAYING C.C.?!?!?!" Even if you did get recognized, I doubt people would actually come up to approach you to say that they do, or ask for a picture. There's thousands of Naruto cosplayers, along with millions of Naruto fans. At an anime convention, it isn't a special sight that most people would really care about, just as how simply wearing cat ears, a maid headband, or Haruhi's ribbons around is.

And then there are the people who cosplay a character, and because it slightly resembles another character... people assume it's some sort of parody. Like when I cosplayed Cirno from Touhou, who is an ice fairy and has wings, people kept screaming and attacking me thinking I was cosplaying Rei Ayanami from NGE, but with wings, and a hair bow, and an ice pattern on my dress... for no reason.

What I REALLY don't understand, is when... people make parodies for school uniforms. The uniform is already designed a certain way-- altering it only makes it a different uniform. Even worse, a "lolita" version of one.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

Roguethe

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 12, 2009, 01:43:16 PM
Can't really tell what it's supposed to be, specifically, because... it looks like a typical fox demon-inspired design. Whatever character it's supposed to be, the distinguishing features aren't very apparent. A lot of anime-based fox demon designs have those sort of details. It's still cute, nonetheless. Wear it because you want to wear it. People recognizing you shouldn't be a concern unless you're trying to hoard attention, as long as you catch the attention of the demographic the fandom was made for. Though, I admit-- if you're able to make the details and props similarly planned in the drawing, and made with quality, it'd definitely catch my attention too. Though, if anything, it looks like a pretty steep investment to make.

Anyway, you can't exactly expect random people to just recognize cosplays you make that are not canon. Especially if you're just wearing casual clothes and trying to pass of a character... only in casual clothing, that's just a horrible expectation to make. Say I'm wearing a t-shirt and generic jeans... and I put on a green wig (not something I'd do, but anyway), I don't expect people to come up to me and be like, "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU COSPLAYING C.C.?!?!?!" Even if you did get recognized, I doubt people would actually come up to approach you to say that they do, or ask for a picture. There's thousands of Naruto cosplayers, along with millions of Naruto fans. At an anime convention, it isn't a special sight that most people would really care about, just as how simply wearing cat ears, a maid headband, or Haruhi's ribbons around is.

And then there are the people who cosplay a character, and because it slightly resembles another character... people assume it's some sort of parody. Like when I cosplayed Cirno from Touhou, who is an ice fairy and has wings, people kept screaming and attacking me thinking I was cosplaying Rei Ayanami from NGE, but with wings, and a hair bow, and an ice pattern on my dress... for no reason.

What I REALLY don't understand, is when... people make parodies for school uniforms. The uniform is already designed a certain way-- altering it only makes it a different uniform. Even worse, a "lolita" version of one.
I said I was going to Cosplay Amaterasu from Capcom's Okami
After reading your post, I doubt you've played the game or seen it. But Amaterasu is a wolf, so this was my design for her without actually going into making a furry mascot suit. ^^;
And it's a popular game, I don't expect everyone to know, but I do hope fans figure it out, which, It seems the fans above will. So I'm happy.
And it seems nobody else is doing Amaterasu, so I don't think it will be like doing Naruto XD
Thankyou though, these are all concerns and things I've taken into consideration before getting to work on the outfit, and still I'm wearing it because I want to wear it, as you said. ^^

I draw sometimessss

Jun-Watarase

No, I'm aware of the game. But you still can't really tell what it is supposed to be specifically, as the design is a parody of what's canon. It appears to be a typical fox-demon inspired design made into a short kimono and accessories. A lot of "youkai" designs in both games and anime have similarities, such as the parodied traditional Japanese attire, the white and red accents like that of paint on masks, the anthropomorphic characteristics, and etc.

But again, I feel that your reason for simply doing it because you want to (and the fact if it's executed well, it isn't half-assed) then do it for that reason, but not fret over people not recognizing you or getting excited over what you're cosplaying from.

Anyroad, here's a suggestion. I don't recommend using eye-shadow for the red accents around your eyes, simply because even with primer, it won't be as vibrant or defined like it would if you were to use a pigment or a rich face paint. Even though there are vibrant red eyeshadows (like from NARS or Make-up For Ever) they won't be as defined soon after application.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

PyronIkari

Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on January 12, 2009, 08:38:55 PMwords here

The first question is... why do you care? Really, why do you care if people recognize it? Before I explain the stupidities of everything you wrote, I first want to know the answer to that question.

Roguethe

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 13, 2009, 12:00:45 AM
Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on January 12, 2009, 08:38:55 PMwords here

The first question is... why do you care? Really, why do you care if people recognize it? Before I explain the stupidities of everything you wrote, I first want to know the answer to that question.
In general I don't really mind if people don't recognize it. As it's more something I'm doing for myself, aswell as a costume to accompany the person I'm going with. (Because they're going as Waka)
One big reason I wanted to know was so I could have a pose or two ready in case the general spotting rate was high enough. As last year, I was asked for pictures on a general OC, and didn't know what to do for a pose as I wasn't expecting pictures on it since it wasn't anything people would recognize.
I'd also like to make it look as nice as I can, and one of those factors would be making it as close to who it's inspired by as possible.(IMO) So I'm getting suggestion, Like Jun's pigment suggestion, and the suggestion to bring a small issun, both of which I found helpful.
Now, I don't think any of this should be reffered to as 'stupidity' if you like to offend on the internet, thats your buisness, have fun cause it doesn't really bother me. I'll just answer you in a polite demeanor.
So go ahead.

I draw sometimessss

PyronIkari

Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on January 13, 2009, 12:17:53 AMMore words

The short answer. No... people won't. Because it's not canon.

Will people want to take your picture regardless? Yes, because it looks "pretty" or "abnormal". People will want to take pictures of anything they find remotely attractive. In general I find "modified things" like this stupid and disrespectful. "I like your character, so I will do something sorta like it, BUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to my own liking... but yeah, really... I do like your character". It's pointless. It defeats the purpose of cosplaying a character as a whole pretty much. There's really no point in associating it to that character at all instead of just making an original design.

But you are cosplaying with someone else. Okay... so what? You're not cosplaying the character any more since you're editing it so much, so it's just a half assed excuse to say "you're cosplaying with them". No matter how grand of a design you come up with, it's not cosplaying the character.

Roguethe

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 12, 2009, 11:56:40 PM
No, I'm aware of the game. But you still can't really tell what it is supposed to be specifically, as the design is a parody of what's canon. It appears to be a typical fox-demon inspired design made into a short kimono and accessories. A lot of "youkai" designs in both games and anime have similarities, such as the parodied traditional Japanese attire, the white and red accents like that of paint on masks, the anthropomorphic characteristics, and etc.

But again, I feel that your reason for simply doing it because you want to (and the fact if it's executed well, it isn't half-assed) then do it for that reason, but not fret over people not recognizing you or getting excited over what you're cosplaying from.

Anyroad, here's a suggestion. I don't recommend using eye-shadow for the red accents around your eyes, simply because even with primer, it won't be as vibrant or defined like it would if you were to use a pigment or a rich face paint. Even though there are vibrant red eyeshadows (like from NARS or Make-up For Ever) they won't be as defined soon after application.
hehe, well I love studying Japanese cryptology and all too, so I wouldn't mind being mistaken for a Youkai either. ^^
I just wonder if making the sword and walking with Waka will help anyone recognize. Guess the best way to answer that is just waiting to see, huh?

Right, thankyou, I'm mainly going to do it for the fun and spirit of getting dressed up at a time besides Halloween and costume parties. xD And no worries, I've never been one to half-ass, nobody has to worry about one of those horrid no efforts lol.

Ah! Thankyou, pigment, thats what I was looking for. I'd given the red eye shadow a try the other day and found, as you said, it doesn't really stand out. I was afraid of that being the case, and it was made a fact for sure. XD I'll have to get some pigment then. I also have some inkjet temp. tatoo paper for my printer. I was going to try that out and see how it works for the face marking and possible shoulders/chest too.

Anyways, thankyou for your opinion, It's helped me on a few possible changes. X3

I draw sometimessss

Jun-Watarase

I don't suggest temporary tattoo prints either, as the ink from inkjet printers aren't the same as factory-made temporary tattoos. I think brushing on face paint is your best bet, if anything. Then seal it with a light powder, so it doesn't smudge easily-- not that you should be touching your face with all of this on, anyway. Getting a good foundation brush, mixing some solution and water for white, and the face paint or wet pigments for details using a point-tipped paint brush.

But for the most part, I agree with Pyron in terms of how I feel about parodied characters, but the fact that this particular design isn't really distinguished with any actual character (even if that's what you're trying to go for), it's more tolerable. If it were a parody of something more distinguishing, e.g. a horrible Naruto lolita parody, I'd be totally on your case. At least, if you do make it quality, it's a nice original cosplay design. Just because it's original, doesn't mean it isn't a good costume-- it's inspired by Japanese mythology and anime, thus is relevant to the convention and its audience's fandom. If you attend a gathering of sorts related to the game, though-- it'll be a hint of what you're trying to do, but bottom line is that... it isn't canon, it's a parody. At most, it'll be a tribute of sorts, in this case.

FanimaidCafe.com

Roguethe

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 13, 2009, 12:26:34 AM
Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on January 13, 2009, 12:17:53 AMMore words

The short answer. No... people won't. Because it's not canon.

Will people want to take your picture regardless? Yes, because it looks "pretty" or "abnormal". People will want to take pictures of anything they find remotely attractive. In general I find "modified things" like this stupid and disrespectful. "I like your character, so I will do something sorta like it, BUT COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to my own liking... but yeah, really... I do like your character". It's pointless. It defeats the purpose of cosplaying a character as a whole pretty much. There's really no point in associating it to that character at all instead of just making an original design.

But you are cosplaying with someone else. Okay... so what? You're not cosplaying the character any more since you're editing it so much, so it's just a half assed excuse to say "you're cosplaying with them". No matter how grand of a design you come up with, it's not cosplaying the character.
ok, so you wouldn't recognize it, thats all I'm asking.

And I'm doing my own rendition of Amaterasu because she's a wolf. I don't want to wear a mascot suit or walk on all fours through the con. If I were doing a human character, then sure, I would find changing the outfit pointless. but Amaterasu isn't human, and the only outfits there are for her are fan-based.
I'm still going to do everything I can accurate. I'll do her weapons and markings accurate, I'll make Issun accurate, I'll make her tail and 'wings', I'm even making the stary beads pattern completely accurate for the collar. My mask will also be completely accurate aswell as anything else I can manage. Hell, I'm even making the cloud pattern on the kimono exactly like the ones in Okami. The differences will only be in clothing, which I can't help as, once again, I'm human.
If you still find it stupid, fine, that's your opinion, you don't need to be so rude about it, all things can be said in a non conflict starting way if you have manners.
And I already know your probabally thinking "Well if you can't be a wolf then don't do it at all."
Well again, even people who dress up canon still pose for things not canon, such as yaoi slash pairings which I think would be more upsetting to see from the creators views then me doing a human version of a non version character.
I simply love Okami and Love Amaterasu.
So I want to show the fan inside me, which is what Fanime is about, right?

I draw sometimessss

Roguethe

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on January 13, 2009, 12:36:35 AM
I don't suggest temporary tattoo prints either, as the ink from inkjet printers aren't the same as factory-made temporary tattoos. I think brushing on face paint is your best bet, if anything. Then seal it with a light powder, so it doesn't smudge easily-- not that you should be touching your face with all of this on, anyway. Getting a good foundation brush, mixing some solution and water for white, and the face paint or wet pigments for details using a point-tipped paint brush.

But for the most part, I agree with Pyron in terms of how I feel about parodied characters, but the fact that this particular design isn't really distinguished with any actual character (even if that's what you're trying to go for), it's more tolerable. If it were a parody of something more distinguishing, e.g. a horrible Naruto lolita parody, I'd be totally on your case. At least, if you do make it quality, it's a nice original cosplay design. Just because it's original, doesn't mean it isn't a good costume-- it's inspired by Japanese mythology and anime, thus is relevant to the convention and its audience's fandom. If you attend a gathering of sorts related to the game, though-- it'll be a hint of what you're trying to do, but bottom line is that... it isn't canon, it's a parody. At most, it'll be a tribute of sorts, in this case.
Ahhh really? Have you tried it before? Is it faded or something? I only need to wear it for a day or two, so I don't mind if it doesn't last long.
Either way, I already have some laying around here, so I'll atleast give it a test run.  :)
lol, looking back on all I have to do, I'm really going to half to wash my face really-really throughly every night. I'm used to light application that just take some soap and hot water. XD;;

And yes, I do agree on general altered characters like Naruto.
I just don't think me creating an outfit for a wolf character is really on the same level.
Either way I respect all of your opinions, I only hope people at the con can respect mine aswell.
Last thing I need is someone walking up to me and ranting about how they're offended, after I put alot of time into the outfit.
And if it makes anyone feel better, I'll say Rendition instead of cosplay :/

I draw sometimessss

Jun-Watarase

Yeah, I had a pack-full of sheets and played around with them for a bit, but they're not as quality or effective as factory-made. Even if they were factory-made, though, it wouldn't be the best idea. Since you'll be having them around your eyes, not only will it be a hassle to apply symmetrically, it's around an area where your skin creases a lot (e.g. when you blink, and etc.) it'll start making creases and parts where it will start to fade and flake. Not only that, but you'd be applying it over white face paint, rather it actually directly bonding to the skin. It's a lot more trouble than it's worth, and it won't achieve the desired effects. Some red face paint shouldn't cost you too much, but it absolutely has to be a paint, and deeply pigmented. I'd recommend a cream base. A cream-based eyeliner would work well, as well. Both of which, should be set with powder.

And when cleaning all this stuff of your face, I really don't recommend using soap a water. If anything, you shouldn't really be applying soap to your face at all, as that just dries it out and can easily irritate your skin. At least purchase a proper facial cleanser. If you have make-up removal wipes, wipe most of it off with that, though it'd be best to purchase make-up remover, I'm not going to bug you about it if you're on a budget. A mix of baby oil and olive oil should be enough to dissolve the paint. After wiping all that off, use the proper facial cleanser (of which I recommend Philosophy brand "Purity" cleanser). Also, if it's possible, moisturize with face lotion before you apply any make-up on your face, so it doesn't dry you out and start flaking. Moisturize after cleaning, as well.

Despite my opinion about parodies, like I said, because of the fact that it isn't bastardizing a character's canon appearance, and that it isn't half assed (e.g. a t-shirt with the wolf accents doodled onto them and a pin-on tail and ears) it's a suitable and decent cosplay. But that depends on how well-crafted it is, really. Something like this doesn't exactly look simple to make and requires a lot of handy-work. Not to mention, I have no clue what your budget would be.

What will you be doing on your own, in terms of making it?  In terms of boots, if you didn't already conclude to this, they should just be purchased and have the outer parts attached. For the obi's bow, you're going to need a wire-frame for it to hold its shape, and it should be a separate piece from the obi rather than tied. For the sleeve design, you can paint them on but it'd be the best, embroidered. If you're familiar with using molds, that's what you should do with the charms on the obi-- the material it's made out of is up to what you want to do. Do you know how to tie a kimono? To be honest, I think you're better off wearing them on the shoulders properly, as the weight of the fabric and everything else is going to leave you frustrated with the fact you're forced to adjust so often.

Also, have you used sclera contacts before? Because they're definitely not for beginners. Not to mention, they're expensive. They're normally about $300 per pair. Just a heads up.

FanimaidCafe.com