Pokemon D/P E-Gaming Tournament

Started by AmazingKenchan, January 14, 2009, 08:24:54 PM

AmazingKenchan

Discuss.  I'm tenatively adding this to the tournament list, pending feedback, I've never really run one before.  Platinum hits the states soon, I figure ppl will be playing; I just picked up my copy of Pearl again for the first time in a year or so.  I'm looking to run something that everyone can be satisfied, probably stick to Smogon rules.
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Gatsby

I believe there is already a topic about trading and the DS pokemon games already on the second page of topics. YOu should try and keep this topic about the tournament.

AmazingKenchan

That is for sure my main intention, since this is something we wanted to do last year and never got around to.  I'll probably only add it to the tournament schedule if there's enough interest anyway.
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Gatsby

With that being the case I'm going to move your topic to Live Programming since that is the area for official FanimeCon E-gaming news.

AmazingKenchan

Personally, this is the wrong place to move it.  But what do I know :3

On-topic, I'm interested in what the generally agreed upon opinion is for how tournaments like this should be held, since most I know of are online.  While running full 6v6 battles can take a long time, I don't want to cut down on standard gameplay, but at the same time, it can't take forever.  Also would it be feasable to run a Single and Double tourney, or perhaps to combine them?
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Gatsby

I asked the sysadmin, plus there is a topic in Gaming that stated any topics that relate to E-Gaming should be in Live Programming.

You should ask JT for some insight, he seems to be highly involved in tourneys.

JTchinoy

I've run a pokemon tournament when revolution came out.  Those matches do take a while.  They last like 4-5 minutes.  I would suggest single elimination to cut back on time.  Unless you want to have a bunch of people and their DSes to be in 1 spot for like 6 hours like how every tournament we'll be running will likely be.  Let me know if you need me to give you rules or tournament brackets or whatever.

Might I suggest you use the smogon tier list?  Meaning no Skymin or any other ubers.  You can decide on garchomp or not, but that's considered uber now.  I can't emphasize enough how cheap skymin is against non-ubers that don't have a move specifically for skymin.

How you'll combine 2v2 and 1v1 into 1 tournament I don't know.  Good luck with that.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

AmazingKenchan

Good to hear you've had some experience; we had a problem at Sac-anime actually.  Some people couldn't use their saves on the game, becuase they didn't meet the requirements; tried with no rules as well.  Battle Revolution would probably be something we save for final rounds because of that, but I can see how using it would allow the tournament to be proctored.  Probably better for time would be to just use DS and check teams before they start.

As for Garchomp, yeah, that's really grey area.  Scarfed Garchomp is pretty mean.
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

JTchinoy

this sounds like a job for ice shard donphan/ mamoswine!!! LOL.

Careful with revolution, it doesn't hold a solid connection to the DSes.  I'll be active due to platinum again so i can do IV/ EV checks on parties if i have the time.
we had a guy with a garchamp that had 300+ in all stats.  that wasn't obvious.  -_-

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Last time SacAnime had a Pokemon tournament in 2008 with Battle Rev, there were no syncing problems.  What happened at SacAnime this year was unknown, except that we would assume scratched disk and R4 usage.

If you need to check out the pokemon legality, legendarypokemon.net has the the offline pokedex.  Only problem is that the program isn't up-to-date for Platinum that gives some Pokemon some new moves (i.e. Scizor with Bullet Punch and Empoleon with Swagger and Bubblebeam).

Now, if this tournament were to be ran, a couple of questions:

- Given that we use the traditional 6-pokemon, will it be single battle or double battle?
- Will Garchomp be legalized?  Despite the wide usage of Mamoswines and Weaviles and other Pokemon with Ice Shard to deal with him, this has been discussed to death, and lot of competitors demand its ban.

EDIT: Nevermind about the Azumarill illegal set; It is not possible for it to obtain Belly Drum and Aqua Jet at the same time.  XD
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

JTchinoy

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

AmazingKenchan

Battle Revolution not working wasn't a flashcart issue; they were on real copies.  Also, serebii is up-to-date.
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

xenoza

I would be interested in joining this. Please push for it!

I love Yuki Nagato. I really do. Shes perfect.

JTchinoy

Hmm... thinking of making my all choice band/scarf/lens team...
Knocks down walls pretty hard.  :)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Philip7086

Me and at least 6 other of my friends are very interested in this. I am pretty familiar with Smogon stuff, and up to date with the current rules. Also, matches last much longer than 4-5 minutes if we play to play from the game cartridges themselves. 4-5 minutes is more like a Shoddy match, which although is preferable, is also impractical. Let me know if you have any questions about what the standard is currently, and please push to make this happen! I think it has the potential to be a big hit!