Circuity City is officially closing all stores in the US.

Started by JTchinoy, January 16, 2009, 01:13:35 PM

JTchinoy

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/16/news/companies/circuit_city/?postversion=2009011614

Bankrupt electronics retailer Circuit City Inc. said Friday it has asked for court approval to close its remaining 567 U.S. stores and sell all its merchandise.

The company said it has 34,000 employees.

"We are extremely disappointed by this outcome," James Marcum, acting CEO for Circuit City, said in a statement. "We were unable to reach an agreement with our creditors and lenders to structure a going-concern transaction in the limited timeframe available, and so this is the only possible path for our company."

More in link.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

How sad... I liked-diddid Circuit City. It's so depressing, as time goes on more and more big names in retail start to die off...

I'll be glad when the damn economy gets back on track. Fer nao, SAAAAAAALEZ.

JTchinoy

Honda just laid off 3100 employees in Japan.

Not looking good all around.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

BunofGovt

What I don't get is the article says that CC has 34,000 employees and is closing 567 stores here in the U. S.  However, CC also manages 765 stores and outlets in Canada with only 3,000 employees.  Canadian operations will continue.

No wonder they're closing stores in the U. S., with numbers like that, it looks like an inefficient operation  (though I wonder how many of those 34,000 are here in the U. S. and how many of those are losing jobs).
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

XpHoBiaX

You know, I applied to work there last week. FSCK.
Oh well. >:/

Back to being a starving artist, it seems. *tummy growls*
People are loosing jobs left and right over here where I live. So many places have closed down. It sucks. :(

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Kazuko

this blows :T but then again the only two competitors are Frys and Best Buy, I used to go to Circut City when I was little. The economy is hitting hard everywhere, UC's and CSU's are putting a limit on enrollment for incomming students it sucks for those who worked hard in HS now to get into a CSU or UC according to the news "good grades just dont cut it anymore" also the slight tuition increase and California loosing money that we all wont get out tax returns on time.

XpHoBiaX

I remember going to circut city when I was little too. I used to play mortal kombat when mom shopped. ^_^

I hope things will start to turn around. Although I've heard it's only gonna get worse before it gets better. :(

2010 cosplay...?

LordKefka

CC didn't take BB seriously. They are now feeling the pain..-_-;

I have a CC literally right next to BB. When I compare HDTVs, it's usually CC that's $50-$100 more pricey..~_~;
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

JTchinoy

I take it you never thought of match pricing?  :)

If I ever shopped at circuit city, it would be to match price for like a Fry's item.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

LordKefka

Quote from: JTchinoy on January 17, 2009, 09:24:30 AM
I take it you never thought of match pricing?  :)

If I ever shopped at circuit city, it would be to match price for like a Fry's item.

It's what I did.. or else I wouldn't know the difference in the prices?..O_o; *is confused*

And I wish I had a Fry's here.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

XpHoBiaX

All we have is a Walmart...with a Kmart across the street. lulz

2010 cosplay...?

Barnes

Theres a CC and a BB on each side of Highway 85, both reachable by Almaden Expressway as well.
I'm thinking about heading to CC to look for some anime dvds. Should I bother?
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Barnes on January 17, 2009, 08:44:08 PM
Theres a CC and a BB on each side of Highway 85, both reachable by Almaden Expressway as well.
I'm thinking about heading to CC to look for some anime dvds. Should I bother?

I wouldn't expect much.  I've always found their DVD selection in general (let alone anime selection specifically) disappointing.  Hey, if you can find a really good deal, then score.  Just don't go in with high expectations.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

JTchinoy

liquidators handling the sales of their inventory. there won't be any deals until there's only utter crap left.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

*Cry*
I could have got a job there.
It's funny how the CirCity by my house was open for less then six months though.
Oh well, Best Buy and Fry's are better anyways. CirCity was filled with more furniture then electronics anyway.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LordKefka

Yeah. I went with a friend to CC yesterday just to check out the "deals". Well sure enough, everything was 10% off (unless there is a 'sale' sign). games were 20% off and accessories were 30% off.

Too bad even with 10% off, their crap is STILL more expensive than BB, lewl. And the games? Well, I have to admit I did pick up GH: Aerosmith since it was $36 (with guitar of course). Other than that, all the games are ass for all systems. But man, all the workers had such a bad attitude with the shoopers (obviously since they are all getting canned..>_>; ). But still...

ps. Beat GH: Aerosmith... did not enjoy it ...-_-;
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

lyricaldanichan

Weird, I went and the games were only 10% off .. weak sauce.

Only thing that was semi decent that the Blue Ray movies are 20% off. I didn't see anything for 30% unless it was in the TV section. I think they are gonna liquidate like CompUSA did.. maybe in 3 weeks it will be better but everything will probably be gone by then. heh

LordKefka

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on January 18, 2009, 01:43:58 PM

Only thing that was semi decent that the Blue Ray movies are 20% off. I didn't see anything for 30% unless it was in the TV section. I think they are gonna liquidate like CompUSA did.. maybe in 3 weeks it will be better but everything will probably be gone by then. heh

Bah, you can get blu ray stuff on Ebay for cheaper than any discount from a store =P
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

lyricaldanichan

Really? Any good sellers in Ebay? I haven't bought anything there for 4 years.

Quote from: LordKefka on January 18, 2009, 01:59:12 PM

Bah, you can get blu ray stuff on Ebay for cheaper than any discount from a store =P

LordKefka

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on January 18, 2009, 02:19:04 PM
Really? Any good sellers in Ebay? I haven't bought anything there for 4 years.

Quote from: LordKefka on January 18, 2009, 01:59:12 PM

Well, I haven't bought blu ray stuff (other than games..>.>), but I have looked as recently as a few days ago and some of them are around $15-$20. Shipping it usually around $3-4 (if not free) 1st class.

But it really depends on what movie you plan to get. Blu rays are usually $30 at the store for a movie typically (for newly released ones), so I guess you can save $10 online if you are lucky. So you gotta just look around and snipe =P.

Like ok, here for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Die-Hard-4-Live-Free-or-Die-Hard-2007-Blu-ray-Disc_W0QQitemZ160310837517QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray?hash=item160310837517&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

But it really depends. I guess if you plan to buy Blu ray movies at CC with the 20% discount, make sure you want something that's just released or else wait and it'll appear on Ebay for cheaper.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor